World clean up settings could be huge!

The latest Rhymes with Play stream was honestly quite big, they showed off quite a lot of awesome changes and features despite claims it would be smaller in size.

I'm actually stoked for the update, a lot of wonderful QOL features were mentioned, with one in particular catching my eye...
And that'd be rot washing away in the rain!

This is HUGE to me. This is something I've wanted for years now, I'm a little shocked to see it finally happening.
But, I had a proposal. 

I strongly believe this could be part of a "World Clean Up" tab in the generation menu, or put into Global.
image.png.ee1118c16e0ba9f3f0e95287be11814d.png

From here, a list of common "trash" items that pile up could be listed, giving everyone the ability to toggle what they do and don't want to pile up in their worlds.
This sounds like a universal win, to me, as I can see arguments both for and against specific items washing away. Let us toggle them!

My personal votes for some more items to wash away would be manure and guano, both of those items alongside rot pile up so much in my late game worlds I, even as a (secondary) Wormwood main, struggle to tackle them all!

Thoughts? And other pile-up items you'd wish to see have natural despawns?

• Like 26
  • Big Ups 3

2 minutes ago, -Variant said:

Hound teeth, stingers, spider glands, pine cones (this could be planted) , feathers and rotten eggs (pengulls are annoying in such ways...)

• Like 5

Stick cleanup on twiggy tree worlds would be revolutionary, I like playing in endless servers that get into several thousand days. Stick buildup is intense. Over 8,000 stick at once is just nuts!

Winter's Feast + Hallowed Nights baubles, trinkets, and treats cleanup would absolutely be welcome too, I know that's very highly requested.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, arubaro said:

feathers and rotten eggs

1 minute ago, viblym said:

Winter's Feast + Hallowed Nights baubles, trinkets, and treats cleanup would absolutely be welcome too, I know that's very highly requested

Yes, yes! I can't believe I forgot about the baubles, that's been something on my wish list for a while now, too.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, -Variant said:

Yes please. Default could be just rots disappearing.

Switching to Less could stop items form disappearing. 

Switching to More could add more items to list such as what Arubaro said.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mkemal23 said:

Yes please. Default could be just rots disappearing.

Switching to Less could stop items form disappearing. 

Switching to More could add more items to list such as what Arubaro said.

or have separate settings for all items that'd despawn

Edited by grm9
  • Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

actually super helpful for me cuz i just leave **** laying around and it becomes rot sometime soon 
Thought i do wonder how this will work with like, base items being left about on the ground due to lack of storage or smthn

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Habakkuk said:

Why not disappear everything that is in the ground on and off?

because that'll force people to build chests and waste time opening chests while searching for something or making mini signs for all of them and still having to search through them because someone put something in a wrong chest or it's unclear which category the item on a mini sign indicates or in which category is an item 

8 minutes ago, Habakkuk said:

Because there are stuff that wont be picked ever like rotten eggs, rot and manure while you might take some time to pick up every log and rocks farmed by the bearger and rifts, decorated with stuff like trinkets or expensive items, etc

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, arubaro said:

Because there are stuff that wont be picked ever like rotten eggs, rot and manure while you might take some time to pick up every log and rocks farmed by the bearger and rifts, decorated with stuff like trinkets or expensive items, etc

I see.

1 hour ago, Ninten_Draw said:

actually super helpful for me cuz i just leave **** laying around and it becomes rot sometime soon 
Thought i do wonder how this will work with like, base items being left about on the ground due to lack of storage or smthn

The mechanic would namely focus on "trash" items, EG items that pile up over time and can be easily amassed.

I would love a waste bin type container to get rid of other items you may not want, but that's a suggestion for another day. This system ideally won't effect common resources you may not have storage for yet, and if something is listed you don't want, you'd be able to toggle it, too!

I would like this! It could be nice for me, since my current endgame world has winters feast enabled permanently (I like collecting the boss adornments for funzies) and the amount of various winters feast candy you get piles up a lot. I would love if there was an option for things like that to wash away/vanish. Things like guano from sinkholes or potential cleanup of twigs from twiggy trees could be very nice, as well!

• Like 2
  • Sanity 1

I personally would like this a lot as well, and I'd like to see the Year of the _ pouches on it. Playing with all events enabled like I do (or really, just Year of the Catcoon) means you get tons of lucky pouches anywhere catcoons exist. I definitely want the rot washing away to be toggleable, though, since it's nice for Wormwood players to get free rot over time.

• Like 1
  • Health 1

I’m confused about one thing, the devs said that this years roadmap would have updates less frequently, but to avoid players losing interest they would showcase some of the upcoming stuff in dev streams or whatever…

So my question is- (& this should’ve been an obvious question all of you asked during their stream lmao..) the stuff they showed off during their Showcase, is that all coming in the NEXT Beta, or the more likely scenario.. they’re showcasing stuff that’s even further down the line?

Because ima be honest with y’all here, I think your overhyping yourselves expecting all this stuff to come in one update, when the reality is that there’s 4 of these QoL updates planned this years roadmap, and Klei could be showing stuff we aren’t going to see for several more months.

I will roll on the floor laughing when the usual case of “players expected too much out of update we said would be small” happens again.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m confused about one thing, the devs said that this years roadmap would have updates less frequently, but to avoid players losing interest they would showcase some of the upcoming stuff in dev streams or whatever…

So my question is- (& this should’ve been an obvious question all of you asked during their stream lmao..) the stuff they showed off during their Showcase, is that all coming in the NEXT Beta, or the more likely scenario.. they’re showcasing stuff that’s even further down the line?

Because ima be honest with y’all here, I think your overhyping yourselves expecting all this stuff to come in one update, when the reality is that there’s 4 of these QoL updates planned this years roadmap, and Klei could be showing stuff we aren’t going to see for several more months.

I will roll on the floor laughing when the usual case of “players expected too much out of update we said would be small” happens again.

Everything they showed on stream is in one update, the beta is coming this Thursday with the stuff they showcased.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think it is coming on this beta.

However they mentioned that they have "plans" for ocean structural changes, but that was implied to come out later AFTER this update. On the next beta.

They also said that next streams will come earlier than what they did with the current stream. I think maybe 2 weeks earlier than the beta.

Edited by Swiyss
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

coming in the NEXT Beta, or the more likely scenario.. they’re showcasing stuff that’s even further down the line?

Why would they be making and then showing off something that they mean to release in a later update?

• Ninja 1

Washing away is a nice idea, but I´m still wating for the biggest garbage dump...the ocean. Like it works in SW. Everything would eventually sink.

• Sanity 1
  • Wavey 1

On 3/3/2024 at 8:18 AM, Habakkuk said:

Because that’s too simple, some people might want rot or twigs to disappear on their own over time if left on the ground, but some people might want Beefalo poop (mainly just wormwood or farmers lol) and seeds not to despawn.

Personally I prefer the feathers and rotten eggs left behind by Pengull and birds NOT to Despawn because I enjoy going back through areas and finding stuff like free Gunpowder resources laying around.

Having a toggle for every individual item though just sounds like way way too much work.

Klei should probably just give us a Roomba or let us upgrade the Ice Flingo Matic to pick up things left on the ground in its “workers” AoE radius, kinda like some weird Doctor Seues contraption with extending arms or whatever.

Also how does the game know what to pick up and what to leave on the ground?? I (and I’m sure a ton of Megabase designers) would be PISSED if the game randomly deleted the stuff I left laying on the ground- Such as Festive Baubles to look like they had fallen off the nearby Christmas tree.

or my cute Beefalo Doll Collection:

8409593F-6E9E-48FC-9D72-B1AFB1A2154B.thumb.jpeg.bce7c089d25c40d3f8d25b11e041e3d3.jpeg

Although it would be interesting if things dropped on the ground DID disappear if left there too long then DST would have a mode similar to Minecrafts- where when you “die” it deletes the items you had on you from the game world- and that would be quite interesting way of playing the game (as long as it was an optional game mode setting)

• Big Ups 1

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Having a toggle for every individual item though just sounds like way way too much work

it'll just be copypasting after they add it for 1 item, that's work for less than a minute

3 minutes ago, grm9 said:

it'll just be copypasting after they add it for 1 item, that's work for less than a minute

Wildfires could also burn some things away too though- like the above Beefalo dolls, I had to build a flingo near them/turn off summer to keep those from burning away.

I assume that was Klei’s design intention for Wildfires, to burn away & then dissolve with ashes things left on the ground.

The problem is that lots of players toggle off the wildfires completely.. so now- Rot washes away in rain LoL’z

18 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Klei should probably just give us a Roomba or let us upgrade the Ice Flingo Matic to pick up things left on the ground in its “workers” AoE radius

Did you see the stream? Or is this a joke?

• Ninja 1