Please remove the cooldown when swapping to Wigfrid's shield

I thought this item was going to be really, really good when I saw it, but sadly there's one detail which really limits its usefulness as a whole, which is that the block ability goes on cooldown automatically once you swap back to the shield from any other hand slot item, preventing you from using the block if you wish to use another weapon as your main damage source. This means you're stuck with using the shield itself as your weapon, which isn't a great option as it only deals the same damage as a tentacle spike and loses durability when attacking (which it doesn't have a lot of, and it has no way to refuel it).

I know the cooldown when swapping is there to prevent turtling with multiple shields, but the solution is pretty simple, just make the cooldown appear if block has been used recently (on any shield) and allow players to swap to other weapons please

11 minutes ago, Hungry French said:

*Please remove the Wigfrid's shield* :wilson_blush:

So do you have anything better to do than be a cynical downer? I mean seriously, you're in every thread, contribute nothing to the conversation, demean anyone who disagrees with you, and your argument for why things are bad only ever seems to boil down too "Don't Starve was better". It's admittedly kind of pathetic.

1 minute ago, Theukon-dos said:

So do you have anything better to do than be a cynical downer? I mean seriously, you're in every thread, contribute nothing to the conversation, demean anyone who disagrees with you, and your argument for why things are bad only ever seems to boil down too "Don't Starve was better". It's admittedly kind of pathetic.

is looking for attention so quoting him achieves the opposite you were looking for

3 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

This was said only for humorous purposes.

The cooldown on Wigfrid's shield has its justification. If there were no cooldown, it would be possible to use another weapon and then, for 0.5 seconds, use the shield to block an attack. Additionally, it serves as an extra penalty if, for example, a boss knocks a weapon out of the hand. In my opinion, this shield is balanced, considering that it deals more damage than the battle spear. It might, however, deserve a larger buff for blocking an attack than the current modest 10.

34 minutes ago, Cosiek said:

The cooldown on Wigfrid's shield has its justification. If there were no cooldown, it would be possible to use another weapon and then, for 0.5 seconds, use the shield to block an attack.

You say this like it’s a bad thing

i think tech like this is fun and rewarding tbh and it’s not like it’ll “break the balance” or anything 

swapping between items-mid fight like this is tough, at least for me (I struggle with focusing on dodging a boss and managing my inventory at the same time, might just be a personal thing) and I think giving combat an even higher skill ceiling through more potential with inventory swapping is great

23 hours ago, Cosiek said:

The cooldown on Wigfrid's shield has its justification. If there were no cooldown, it would be possible to use another weapon and then, for 0.5 seconds, use the shield to block an attack.

Isn't that the point? Shields are not meant as main weapons, they're meant to be secondary. Being able to swap to a shield to block an attack and then be rewarded for good timing by buffing the main weapon with extra damage on next hit would be an awesome new way to approach combat for Wigfrid players. As it stands, I wouldn't see myself using the shield at all, which is sad because I've wanted Wig to get a shield for such a long time. Right now blocking an attack seems pretty easy to do, but if they instead made the timing a little tighter in exchange for letting us block while quick swapping to the shield, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Blocking with the the shield should apply a powerful shield bash to the enemy that temporarily stuns them leaving them open to attack from the spear.

what?? I played too much Conan & Injustice 2, lately.

but the point is.. a Shield should leave the enemy open and vulnerable to attack.

A shield being a dedicated weapon was always kind of awkward design to begin with. I know some people here absolutely LOATHE Terraria and make false comparisons to it all the time here, but bear with me.. shields worked better in that game because it had dedicated accessory slots. That and I think it was less finnicky about swapping weapons mid-combat in general. 

There has to be some sorta compromise made to make the Rond easier to switch to, otherwise the only way to make it good would to just make it a glorified dark sword but with protection (and then the Power Creep crowd will descend upon it like a pack of rabid wolves..)

19 minutes ago, Trips said:

A shield being a dedicated weapon was always kind of awkward design to begin with. I know some people here absolutely LOATHE Terraria and make false comparisons to it all the time here, but bear with me.. shields worked better in that game because it had dedicated accessory slots. That and I think it was less finnicky about swapping weapons mid-combat in general. 

There has to be some sorta compromise made to make the Rond easier to switch to, otherwise the only way to make it good would to just make it a glorified dark sword but with protection (and then the Power Creep crowd will descend upon it like a pack of rabid wolves..)

yeah, terraria is a RPG game. dst is SURVIVAL with some madness in the middle. but with these new additions, after tencent influenced the team, I think we're heading towards a more rpg-like style of gameplay. and I have nothing against it.

at first I was a tiny bit skeptical, but then if you look at things the way they are, it starts to make more sense.

1 minute ago, Swiyss said:

yeah, terraria is a RPG game. dst is SURVIVAL with some madness in the middle. but with these new additions, after tencent influenced the team, I think we're heading towards a more rpg-like style of gameplay. and I have nothing against it.

at first I was a tiny bit skeptical, but then if you look at things the way they are, it starts to make more sense.

Calling Terraria an RPG is kinda putting it under too broad of an umbrella... Baldur Gate 3 is also an RPG, but you can probably count ten times as much differences compared to what it actually has in common with Terraria. Terraria I think is a sandbox first with more emphasis on combat over the original Don't Starve, and also a more in-depth combat system compared to its contemporaries like Minecraft. 

Hell, DST has Skill Trees while Terraria doesn't even have a proper leveling system.. you can argue DST is more like an "RPG" (whatever the term means colloquially today) than Terraria 

1 minute ago, Trips said:

Hell, DST has Skill Trees while Terraria doesn't even have a proper leveling system.. you can argue DST is more like an "RPG" (whatever the term means colloquially today) than Terraria 

it certaintly is moving towards that.

Archived