Please remove the cooldown when swapping to Wigfrid's shield

7 minutes ago, Trips said:

Hell, DST has Skill Trees while Terraria doesn't even have a proper leveling system.. you can argue DST is more like an "RPG" (whatever the term means colloquially today) than Terraria 

at it's core, DS/T has been a roguelike. Terraria is not. 

Jazzy said skill trees are the bread and butter of roguelikes. 

You die, you lose your immediate progress, but death does not mean your effort has gone to waste.

Quick example: Noita. You die a lot in the game. You get random drops for spells, but for example you will not get a "nuke" spell as a random drop unless you unlock it in a previous run. 

I think this is a parallel. You die in this game, run over, but your run did not go to waste, because something you unlocked is now available to you for use. 

1 minute ago, chirsg said:

at it's core, DS/T has been a roguelike. Terraria is not. 

Jazzy said skill trees are the bread and butter of roguelikes. 

You die, you lose your immediate progress, but death does not mean your effort has gone to waste.

Quick example: Noita. You die a lot in the game. You get random drops for spells, but for example you will not get a "nuke" spell as a random drop unless you unlock it in a previous run. 

I think this is a parallel. You die in this game, run over, but your run did not go to waste, because something you unlocked is now available to you for use. 

Meanwhile me with Endless mode perpetually enabled...

The original Don't Starve I see more as a roguelike, but DST has always had more accessible revives. I don't think reverting my worlds to Default would make the game much harder either way, as I could always lug around a life-giving amulet everywhere and get out of wherever I died like a bat out of hell if I don't want to risk a wipe afterwards. Not like I die a lot either way, but still.

The game seems too long-term to me to be likened to a more traditional roguelike. Usually roguelike runs are contained within a singular one to two hour run, stretching out to a few hours at most. It's relatively easy to die in those games, but not really that big of a deal since you basically just lost an hour or two of progress. 

Come to think of it, people who said that skill trees are an RPG features are actually hilarious to me. Even games that are undoubtedly rougue-like like Hades even have meta progression in the form of the mirror which perks you can swap between in each runs. In this case, skill trees make DST even MORE like a rogue-like. (or rogue-lite or whatever these genres of games called nowadays. You get the point)

6 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

but the point of what I'm asking is to not use the shield as your weapon

They should do that, they probably just copied the eye of terror code and redesign it, but making it only a shield fits way better as a parry theme in my opinion.

looking at the shield it  really feels like it should be more of an aggressive snurtle shell.
Since the player can hide in a snurtle shell to block attacks however for how long the player can block is based off the shells durability.
Where as the shield can take much more punishment if the player does the block correctly 
And the fact that the cooldown gets reduced on a successful block plus a potential damage bonus (which doesn't even work atm)
should really incentivize it as being a combo tool instead of it being a stand alone item.

if the cooldown doesn't get fixed
I think a good way to adjust it would be instead to make it be a chest slot item.
But then that ruins the dash with the lightning spear. since both have the same keys to activate their special  function.

bone armor has a 1 second cooldown at least on swap. but like shell armor doesn't and can block alot of hits. So Im not sure how to fix this thing D:

On 11/30/2023 at 7:14 PM, Guille6785 said:

I know the cooldown when swapping is there to prevent turtling with multiple shields, but the solution is pretty simple, just make the cooldown appear if block has been used recently (on any shield) and allow players to swap to other weapons please

Ya this was basically my suggestion too. I'll paste here what I said in another thread.

1. I really like the concept of the battle shield, but I think it should be changed a bit. I don't like how it has cool down when you equip it. This means I will likely have to dodge in battle just to be able to block another attack? This seems silly. And this only get's me an extra 10 damage for the next attack (Battle Enhancement II). I don't think I would ever use this. It's better to just dodge and keep hitting with whatever weapon you're using. Suggestion for this:
    • Remove the cooldown when equipping the shield. I'm assuming this was added so that you can't alternate between two shields (which is fair). A solution could be to have all the shields in your inventory share the same cooldown timer (after a shield has been used). Then you could use it to immediately block as second attack in a battle. If done so successfully your next hit would be rewarded with 10+ damage. Then I would have to wait for the usage cooldown before doing that again.

8 hours ago, DVGMedia said:

looking at the shield it  really feels like it should be more of an aggressive snurtle shell.
Since the player can hide in a snurtle shell to block attacks however for how long the player can block is based off the shells durability.
Where as the shield can take much more punishment if the player does the block correctly 
And the fact that the cooldown gets reduced on a successful block plus a potential damage bonus (which doesn't even work atm)
should really incentivize it as being a combo tool instead of it being a stand alone item.

if the cooldown doesn't get fixed
I think a good way to adjust it would be instead to make it be a chest slot item.
But then that ruins the dash with the lightning spear. since both have the same keys to activate their special  function.

bone armor has a 1 second cooldown at least on swap. but like shell armor doesn't and can block alot of hits. So Im not sure how to fix this thing D:

that's the idea I provided too, to make it chest slot. And I think that if well implemented, it could very well be a good parry alternative, Although I don't play wigfrid that much, I think the "counter" or "parry" mechanic is super cool and has existed years before. Also it fits DST being an Indie Souls game by itself.

For a weapon that suggests the idea of swapping between items for combat, the equip cooldown makes it really clunky to do so. Things like on-equip cooldowns are exacerbated by high ping, which just makes the weapons miserable to use sometimes.

They should remove the equip cooldown and move towards a global cooldown system so players won't be able to spam shielding by swapping around multiple shields.

In a perfect world I'd also like to see the shield automatically block when equipped, but I don't think they would do this.

Archived