Extremely disappointed

5 hours ago, Hungry French said:

Apparently I'm not lucky

There are a lot of good things in the game. But the multiplayer direction... changing the overall focus of the game from survival to building mega bases and killing almost 20 bosses ...
the game is still good, but various factors make it not as interesting as it could be.

These kinds of statements don't make any sense to me. Like from the perspective of a new player, the game still feels like a survival game. Either you get past the survival part and shelf the game, never to return to the forums, or you keep playing, inevitably getting to the megabase factor, and either embrace this as a way to keep the game fresh and interesting or keep playing anyway while complaining about it.

7 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

These kinds of statements don't make any sense to me. Like from the perspective of a new player, the game still feels like a survival game. Either you get past the survival part and shelf the game, never to return to the forums, or you keep playing, inevitably getting to the megabase factor, and either embrace this as a way to keep the game fresh and interesting or keep playing anyway while complaining about it.

Alternatively… players can ask for Klei to add more content into dst that directly suits their playstyle.

I get so sick of this forum mentality of all content updates must fit all playstyles, and I find it funny that in a game full of options, we lack the options to do that.

There are night and day differences between Dont starve and DST, here is just ONE example:

IMG_5853.webp.aa86306abeac359ccde293b70436c72d.webp

This path is blocked off by a bunch of angry pigs that will punch you in sight, and the only ways through are to either A: put on Armor and tank their hits as you run away, or B: Attempt to kill them all out.

In DST this scenario would no longer exist at all because you can just plop a boat kit into the water beside them and safely paddle around this obstacle.

I think Klei really needs to look at their design concept of DST and try to come up with a way of providing people who enjoyed DS, more of what they loved about DS, Without DST feeling so drastically different.

Theres a clear lack of survival content in DST, mostly because the Megabase playstyle absolutely dominates over it…

When you can tell me why Destroyed Catcoon dens can respawn over time but a swamp full of tentacles or a Killer Bee Hive can’t regrow- Only THEN will I accept the “Megabase” Playstyle.

16 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

I do not know what I should answer to this :wilson_confused:

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Alternatively… players can ask for Klei to add more content into dst that directly suits their playstyle.

I get so sick of this forum mentality of all content updates must fit all playstyles, and I find it funny that in a game full of options, we lack the options to do that.

There are night and day differences between Dont starve and DST, here is just ONE example:

This path is blocked off by a bunch of angry pigs that will punch you in sight, and the only ways through are to either A: put on Armor and tank their hits as you run away, or B: Attempt to kill them all out.

In DST this scenario would no longer exist at all because you can just plop a boat kit into the water beside them and safely paddle around this obstacle.

I think Klei really needs to look at their design concept of DST and try to come up with a way of providing people who enjoyed DS, more of what they loved about DS, Without DST feeling so drastically different.

Theres a clear lack of survival content in DST, mostly because the Megabase playstyle absolutely dominates over it…

When you can tell me why Destroyed Catcoon dens can respawn over time but a swamp full of tentacles or a Killer Bee Hive can’t regrow- Only THEN will I accept the “Megabase” Playstyle.

There is no adventure mode in DST. So you won't be able to use boats.

And the Catcoon dent respawn is not the only thing. Most plants and even some animals like bifallo can be reborn even if there are none left. 
In DST, not only are there a lot of resources, but they are and most of them are endless.
When you run out of Mosaic Biome in DS, you go to the caves for stones and gold, and in DST you have Mosaic Biome self-renewing and there are 100% rocky lands and even 2 deserts.

In DS, the game style of the mega base is more important. And in the DS Megabase, the Playstyle is more pronounced and key, because there are no additional bosses, space for exploration and quests.

So, although it is easier to make megabases in DST, there is a huge amount of not mega base content instead.

DS wins with only 3 modes for survival and the fact that it is not easy to survive even in DS without dlc dlc. But the survival content is there for a year or six months for Hamlet and no dlc DS.Sad reality.

21 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

In DST this scenario would no longer exist at all because

Because DST doesn't have an adventure mode and adventure mode is not a part of survival gameplay. This is not a good example to show the difference between DS and DST.

22 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

When you can tell me why Destroyed Catcoon dens can respawn over time but a swamp full of tentacles or a Killer Bee Hive can’t regrow-

Probably because of year of the catcoon and people's love for cats.

not to try to be too general, but i feel like some people on these forums have a bad case of hyperbole.

"X" is overpowered please nerf, "Y" is incredibly underwhelming, and this new feature literally took my dog out to the yard and shot him dead. 

if people want their voices to be heard, they should be a little less bratty about it..

54 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Maybe I'm being obtuse, but I never actually see any constructive feedback from players that feel the direction of the game doesn't suit their playstyle. They're just hating on everything that Klei adds. Even your example here isn't giving anything constructive. You're just saying "ocean content is bad because I can go around this obstacle now."

28 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

Maybe I'm being obtuse, but I never actually see any constructive feedback from players that feel the direction of the game doesn't suit their playstyle. They're just hating on everything that Klei adds. Even your example here isn't giving anything constructive. You're just saying "ocean content is bad because I can go around this obstacle now."

I can provide a million and one examples, the thing is though is anyone willing to actually sit down and listen, Or am I just wasting my time typing it all out?

One example would be Moon Quay and it’s original implementation: You become funny monkey and your monkey curse persisted even if you died.. and the only way to remove it and clear your inventory of cursed necklaces, was to venture out to Moon Quay Island and trade bananas to their Queen.

People whined this was way too harsh, and now you can get rid of becoming funny monkey, and the cursed necklaces altogether, just by dying.

Death isn’t very punishing in DST given all the various revival methods.. 

But maybe there was a handful of players who actually dare I say this.. “Enjoyed” being stuck as Wonkey for a few hours while they negotiated with Monkey Queen to please remove their curse.

Thats just ONE Example though, when Klei’s ready to talk, let’s do some business cause all I’ve ever seen when it comes to both DS and DST was a game that was highly customizable so it could be as easy or as hard as you personally felt like playing it at the time.

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

One example would be Moon Quay and it’s original implementation: You become funny monkey and your monkey curse persisted even if you died.. and the only way to remove it and clear your inventory of cursed necklaces, was to venture out to Moon Quay Island and trade bananas to their Queen.

... wait... survival players liked that? I mean, for a chance encounter on the ocean, it just means you end up losing an inventory slot until you get to moon quay, which isn't really survival-focused as much as it is just annoying. To end up with enough that turns you into Wonkey, you'd pretty have to be murdering monkeys at the Moon Quay. That in itself I don't mind too much, since I'd realistically only transform when I go there, though it also means the curse itself is a non-factor since, you know, I'm already there.

you can not just die and get ride of the trinkets.
You need to die in specific ways like on lureplant and or void to get ride of them otherwise they stay where you died. 
Ofc you can die and revive far away and forget about the trinkets but in multiplayer enviroments thats super toxic for others

17 hours ago, cybers2001 said:

... wait... survival players liked that? I mean, for a chance encounter on the ocean, it just means you end up losing an inventory slot until you get to moon quay, which isn't really survival-focused as much as it is just annoying. To end up with enough that turns you into Wonkey, you'd pretty have to be murdering monkeys at the Moon Quay. That in itself I don't mind too much, since I'd realistically only transform when I go there, though it also means the curse itself is a non-factor since, you know, I'm already there.

Moon Quay Pirates ARE annoying.. the pirate raids themselves aren't really interesting, and unless you get really lucky navigating through a row of sea stacks, you can't really avoid the pirate ship without a cannon. 

Being raided by them is one thing, I don't really mind the fighting aspect itself. They're pretty simple to just facetank and be done with it. But you're forced to interact with Moon Quay itself if you end up being weighed down by those trinkets.. in a game where equipment breaks and you're encouraged to pack your inventory like sardines to prepare for eventualities, being down a slot forever is really annoying, and the game either expects you to drop whatever you were planning on doing to go to Moon Quay just to get rid of them, or skirt around the issue entirely by dying on a remote part of the world and reviving far away from your dropped trinkets.

Sadly, I have to say Klei really missed the mark with how the pirates were implemented. And with not much interesting loot to be had, that's a fat Pirates toggle put on None whenever I'm generating a new world. Way too disruptive, even compared to literal actual bosses like the giants.

Just now, Trips said:

Moon Quay Pirates ARE annoying.. the pirate raids themselves aren't really interesting, and unless you get really lucky navigating through a row of sea stacks, you can't really avoid the pirate ship without a cannon. 

Being raided by them is one thing, I don't really mind the fighting aspect itself. They're pretty simple to just facetank and be done with it. But you're forced to interact with Moon Quay itself if you end up being weighed down by those trinkets.. in a game where equipment breaks and you're encouraged to pack your inventory like sardines to prepare for eventualities, being down a slot forever is really annoying, and the game either expects you to drop whatever you were planning on doing to go to Moon Quay just to get rid of them, or skirt around the issue entirely by dying on a remote part of the world and reviving far away from your dropped trinkets.

Sadly, I have to say Klei really missed the mark with how the pirates were implemented. And with not much interesting loot to be had, that's a fat Pirates toggle put on None whenever I'm generating a new world. Way too disruptive, even compared to literal actual bosses like the giants.

If you don't want to get their trinkets you can just let them rob you without hitting them and they won't hurt you. After they steal a few of your twigs they will bail and you can always find a loot stash to recover your lost twigs. No need to visit Moon Quay.

19 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

most people that ask for survival content also have megabases

is hard to answere witout being mean because you are so tireshome repeating the same non sense over and over but i'll try. 

destruction isnt a survival element. For you might be because you can't achieve crafting more than 2 crockpots so if you lose them your world is doomed but when real challenge approach you cry like with bats, cookie cutters, varglets playing as wendy (lol), going to the ruins or fighting bosses

there are plenty of mechanics that could be added without the need of destroying decorative builds or critters which, not only has no survival impact, they only let loot in the floor waiting to be picked like meteors or rifts

you and others want destruction because that validates your causal way of playing a couple of hours and start over, because it is flashy and looks epic when the truth is that nothing really challenging is happening like your developed meteors or earthquakes

stop pointing at megabasers when you are the one who wants the easier experience possible 

37 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

How do any of you expect to get something out of the people that cant differentiate a fun challenge with an annoying mechanic

Thing is.. who are you to governor over what other people do, and do not find fun? I actually enjoyed the original Wonkey Curse because for Wendy she was left as a monkey until she could trade back with the Monkey Queen a billion necklaces (ok not a billion more like 40) it gave my favorite character, the one you all claim is highly OP, a HUGE Downside that stripped her of any of her powers and left me running around as a defenseless Monkey for however long it took me to convince the queen to change me back..

But I get it- For YOU Not a fun “Challenge” only annoying.

You’d probably prefer more epic boss battles that are shoved off in their own little corner somewhere until your ready to summon & fight them right?

8 hours ago, Trips said:

allowing them to steals few twigs and they'll leave

or a single banana, when you drop one at their feet, they'll take it and immediately leave

there's no need for violence (well, except when they steal your walking cane)

On 12/1/2023 at 5:23 PM, Mike23Ua said:

I agree a whole lot with you. Jesus Christ dude, I hate megabase mentality and how it destroyed some of the cool aspects of the game.

Now I do enjoy building, sure, but the extreme of it kinda feels weird, it feels out of place. it feels exactly like this -> we can't have both worlds.

you can't megabase the entire world without having meteors destroying your base, rifts appearing and destroying trees, grass, twigs and berry bushes etc.

you can deactivate some features in the settings, sure, and that's the healthy part of it. Now people like Glermz which are very hardcore players who USUALLY don't like to change the world too much AND are megabase lovers at the same time are been the most hurt ones, and they are the most faithful people to the game. Sometimes creating a new world server apart from the existing one to fish for extra resources feels very wrong and shouldn't have to happen, thanks god for wormwoods being able to craft resources. I guess some folks weren't satisfied with having to travel to moon quay to get bananas and monkey tails.

I was confused at a second when I saw most of my 1k days worlds having the exact same problems. They all make you have nothing to do after late game. It's like, I can't do anything but build, but building is discouraged by natural disasters, and I can't overcome all the disasters. It feels like I have to be the one to tell myself what to do next, and yet we definetely don't have as much creativity as minecraft for example. However we do have more characters, to experience the same world, same game, same everything but with different eyes. That has a limit though, and the limit is that once you play every character, and pick your favorite, it ends there. So I feel like the only way to add replayability to the game Klei is finding lies in the skill tree. Is their only option, unless they spend the next 2 years working on something big, which I 100% approve could happen.

Minecraft is a game that is turning into a big mash of crap with the developers ruining everything and refusing to add content that's good to the game, and yet I can do more there cause my creativity is what rules.

I think dst in particular has good RANDOMNESS qualities, but we definetely need something else we can spend our time with. Something like the skill tree, that's why I love it so much and that's why I really enjoy the RPG side of the game, Modders have PROOOOVED us this behind our own eyes yet we can barely see it.

We need more don't starvish things to do in the game. That can allow us to have the choice of being creative AND a complex system on it's own that we can study all possiblity of outcomes. 

Of course, all this based on what is possible. Cause Klei can't do miracles too, we shouldn't put too much pressure in the team also. But I get what you mean, me, as a player who hasn't stopped playing the game for more than 6 months over a decade now also think like that. I miss so many sooky and puzzle-y things from back then. The weirdness is back from time to time, but it's got to a point where people are modding the betas quicker then a stream can open and experience the changes. Things come out unraveled already, and it's up to Klei to fix this issue UNFORTUNATELY. Yet another issue sadly.

11 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

We need more don't starvish things to do in the game. That can allow us to have the choice of being creative AND a complex system on it's own that we can study all possiblity of outcomes. 

Personally I don't think this possible anymore and part of why I've leaned into skill trees so long as they don't go too far. We're at a point where everything in the game is getting streamlined and rushed so we have nothing to chew on and never really will.  We don't really need to work towards anything or wait for anything and the remaining things that require either are on the communities hit list.

I personally wonder if nothing needs effort or time what are we really accomplishing but that's a whole other can of worms probably better left there but at least with skill trees as you said we can approach the game in different ways even if the game itself isn't adapting to those experiences.

1 minute ago, Mysterious box said:

Personally I don't think this possible anymore and part of why I've leaned into skill trees so long as they don't go too far. We're at a point where everything in the game is getting streamlined and rushed so we have nothing to chew on and never really will.  We don't really need to work towards anything or wait for anything and the remaining things that require either are on the communities hit list.

I personally wonder if nothing needs effort or time what are we really accomplishing but that's a whole other can of worms probably better left there but at least with skill trees as you said we can approach the game in different ways even if the game itself isn't adapting to those experiences.

that's way too pessimistic. Are you sure?

The devs said they have big content overhaul in the making, we might as well just get excited to have the skill trees and new bosses as breadcrumbs and peelings falling out of the chefs table while we wait for the meal.

1 minute ago, Swiyss said:

that's way too pessimistic. Are you sure?

The devs said they have big content overhaul in the making, we might as well just get excited to have the skill trees and new bosses as breadcrumbs and peelings falling out of the chefs table while we wait for the meal.

I honestly can't see anything they could add content wise that people could chew on long term that doesn't offend or isn't asked to be streamlined without a shaking the current foundation of the game. Skill trees and bosses are more or less the only thing they can get away without too much flack from the community.

That being said I don't mean to be a downer I feel the current direction is alright I just changed my expectations for the game I don't think we can expect some big wow moment that changes how we play in a meaningful way detached from character abilities and I know most people have realized this and others welcome this being very attached to the status quo.

1 minute ago, Mysterious box said:

I honestly can't see anything they could add content wise that people could chew on long term that doesn't offend or isn't asked to be streamlined without a shaking the current foundation of the game. Skill trees and bosses are more or less the only thing they can get away without too much flack from the community.

That being said I don't mean to be a downer I feel the current direction is alright I just changed my expectations for the game I don't think we can expect some big wow moment that changes how we play in a meaningful way detached from character abilities and I know most people have realized this and others welcome this being very attached to the status quo.

a map redesign would definetely shake things up and leave us kids unnatended while the adults work on fixing the next never ending issue XD

23 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I’ve been saying this for a long time now and absolutely no one seems to want to listen, but I think it’s time that Klei actually abandoned DST- Not because I want the game to just straight up Die… but because they’re being pinned into this tiny corner of extremely limited creative freedom.

They can’t add new destructive features or mildly annoying mobs without completely shaking up the foundation the game was built upon.

the Playerbase have become too happily settled within what they knew DST to be.. But if Klei were to just throw the entire rule book out the window and make a new video game in Dont starve brand that has all these features intact from the get go, players would be more accepting of it.

For example: Deadly Brightshades, players hate them because the invade their crops and respawn to frequently or whatever…. But had these things just been a core part of the game from the very beginning- You’d learn to deal with them and accept them as part of the game, rather than demanding structures or features that completely deal with their existence.

Klei needs to just throw in the towel and create a Dont Starve 2 from the ground up completely destroying the current meta and known gameplay mechanics..

But maybe that’s just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’ve been saying this for a long time now and absolutely no one seems to want to listen, but I think it’s time that Klei actually abandoned DST- Not because I want the game to just straight up Die… but because they’re being pinned into this tiny corner of extremely limited creative freedom.

They can’t add new destructive features or mildly annoying mobs without completely shaking up the foundation the game was built upon.

the Playerbase have become too happily settled within what they knew DST to be.. But if Klei were to just throw the entire rule book out the window and make a new video game in Dont starve brand that has all these features intact from the get go, players would be more accepting of it.

For example: Deadly Brightshades, players hate them because the invade their crops and respawn to frequently or whatever…. But had these things just been a core part of the game from the very beginning- You’d learn to deal with them and accept them as part of the game, rather than demanding structures or features that completely deal with their existence.

Klei needs to just throw in the towel and create a Dont Starve 2 from the ground up completely destroying the current meta and known gameplay mechanics..

But maybe that’s just my opinion.

I think it goes beyond destructive functions even if we're barred from that route there's really not much else they can do as far as dst is concerned.

Archived