What could be the shadow equivalent to Host of horrors?

1 minute ago, BalkanCockroach said:

I don't think we will be getting Shadeling infested bosses. There's not enough cave bosses and the only candidate would be Toadstool (and no one wants toadstool with planar defense) so im curious about what the shadow part is gonna get.

More unique shadow creatures probably 

As much as I loved Herald's design...we did get the Trio, and the funny pig man that's interestingly aware of its circumstances.
Other than like, maybe the werepig breaking free and becoming a wandering threat when rifts are active...
I'd prefer some more non-boss content.

33 minutes ago, Horsheen said:

Probably corrupted mobs as opposed to possessed ones

What's there to corrupt lmao slurpers are goofballs (literrally and figuratively), splumonkeys are corrupted enough when the cycle hits and they probably won't touch the ruins. Only mob i see as a candidate is depth worms.

27 minutes ago, maradyne said:

As much as I loved Herald's design...we did get the Trio, and the funny pig man that's interestingly aware of its circumstances.
Other than like, maybe the werepig breaking free and becoming a wandering threat when rifts are active...

We got the trio but we didn't get their boss. And yeah some non boss content would be nice but i still like the combat updates.

I was really hoping for overworld bosses underground but I guess some people don't like that.

Like, after killing a boss, you burn the body instead of letting it get possessed. That leaves behind a pile of bones (also renewable fossils) and a when you hammer it you learn a new fossil structure. You rebuild the skeleton of deerclops underground and let a shadow take it over during a nightmare cycle (or atrium heart?).

Alternatively, as dextops said on another thread (I think it was him?), let the shadows take over a mob.

We could have a shadow boss version of bats with super sonic blasts, rock lobsters whose giant claw hand you have to chip away, or a cave spider that crawls on the ceiling of the caves and lurches down on us wherever it's shadow falls on. Maybe even a big tentacle...?

Speaking of big tentacle, having whatever they belong to appear from out of the abyss would be awesome. Just a giant tentacle face that you fight from the edge of the abyss.

Spoiler

Just a little theory crafting for terrifying mob bosses.

Giant bat: something with a huge gaping maw and maybe four wings and no eyes. Like the Zubat line. It's screech's can be used as attacks or create bat swarms. The bats swarm around the giant one in a ring and protect the boss from damage

Giant rocklobster: Has a huge pincher hand that becomes cracked when it slams it on the ground. Attacking it cause chips to fall off and expose it's arm muscle where it takes the most damage. It can cause big boulders to fall from the ceiling from its ground quakes. It can also roll into a ball and ping pong from the boulders causing them to violently shatter (AOE).

Giant cave spider: has eyes all across it's body and can jump to the top of the cave's ceiling. It has a sticky sack of eggs on its back that spawns spiders while it's on the ceiling. It's shadow is an indication of where it may land. Players caught in this attack are webbed up in a sac and stuck to the cluster of eggs making them temporarily unavailable (until you attack the cluster or after some time).

Could be a revamped cave boss that currently exists (Toadstool, fuelweaver, Cave skeleton, 3 stooges)

could also be a new boss mutated from current cave entities that ate bossless (Bunnys, Slurtles, tentecles, Monke, bats, cave spiders)

Personally id love a nightmare bunny if it means they bring back the singleplayer animations. Beardlords are awesome

4 hours ago, maradyne said:

I think we're unlikely to see traditional boss content in the next update. Considering the substantially greater number of Shadow aligned mobs to lunar aligned, I think it's much more likely we get something else. Host of Horrors really helped the lunar alignment catch up in terms of mobs, so I think the next update should help with one of the weaker aspects to shadow alignment.

Personally, I think we get a  new biome that's only available when shadow rifts are open. Most nightmare content is concentrated in the ruins, while lunar side has 3 different lunar-aligned biomes: Lunar island, ancient archives and lunar grotto. Either an island in the middle of the ocean or a new cave. We'll probably inevitably see a fair few new mobs, either entirely new or corrupted versions, but I think new nightmares like the night hands would also be a good compromise.

The other two content arcs had set places where the action was focused: the ruins and lunar island. Currently, a place like that is missing due to the random  nature of rifts. As such, I think it's inevitable to see a place where the finale can be set up.

5 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

What's there to corrupt lmao slurpers are goofballs (literrally and figuratively), splumonkeys are corrupted enough when the cycle hits and they probably won't touch the ruins. Only mob i see as a candidate is depth worms.

Toadstool :spidercowers:

I do wonder how the bosses will work, as for the lunar enemies gimmick, is exposing them as they are actually parasites on the host body, while the shadow trio gimmick (I suppose) is that they attack on cicles (veiled one-> mouth one -> hand one).

I think that we will get one big shadow boss that will have different parts of its body to be attacked and defeated. I thought about some examples in other games but I choose to not cite them.

Charlie herself spawns out of a void portal and attempts to attack the player.

Winona gets an indirect buff by knowing all her moves and we get a cool DragonballZ fight scene where Winona blocks all her attacks except the ones she didn’t know was in Charlie’s arsenal.

besides.. in game Charlie is always cute/mildly terrifying.

Maybe not as terrifying as Wagstaff blinking in and out like a ghost in the middle of the night.. but she’s still up there.

Archived