With the arrival of the ice crystaleyezer, its about time we fixed the wildfire loading exploits

On 10/14/2023 at 7:30 PM, EatenCheetos said:

It just doesn’t make sense to leave a base completely unprotected, then come back s if nothing happened. It’s an exploit and a potent one too

If wildfires become too bad, then Klei can nerf them in some other way. Encouraging the abuse of mechanics is not the way though

It’s not a design choice, it’s an accident that people are accepting as the right way to play

The point is removing an immersion breaking exploit

On 10/14/2023 at 6:38 PM, EatenCheetos said:

The amount of people that leave their base during summer because wildfires can’t load offscreen is huge, I consider this one of the games biggest exploits.

Consider that the programmers know how world loading works and designed threats according to that. The threats are designed around that and the costs of mitigating them as well.

This isn’t some trickery like using elaborate walls to trick grumble bee pathing so that the Bee Queen minions stay forever away from the Queen—it’s a direct consequence (or limitation) of the game (engine). (Or: just the limitation of having less than 128GiB of RAM.)

Base camping in summer is already bad enough as it is. Then requiring players to continually fuel X flingomatics all summer in order to protect absolutely everyhing in the world that they care about (including things like reeds traps)? Completely absurd.

Oh yeah, and then you can use canopese which takes maybe like at least twelve days to fully grow and then be limited to the narrow shore? And then a post-rift item to protect (at that point unless you are a pro end-game rusher) a small base? Again, absurd.

There is no fun in that. You would trade optional megabasing (for those who like that) with mandatory megaworld babysitting.

1 hour ago, abrocator said:

Consider that the programmers know how world loading works and designed threats according to that. The threats are designed around that and the costs of mitigating them as well.

This isn’t some trickery like using elaborate walls to trick grumble bee pathing so that the Bee Queen minions stay forever away from the Queen—it’s a direct consequence (or limitation) of the game (engine). (Or: just the limitation of having less than 128GiB of RAM.)

Base camping in summer is already bad enough as it is. Then requiring players to continually fuel X flingomatics all summer in order to protect absolutely everyhing in the world that they care about (including things like reeds traps)? Completely absurd.

Oh yeah, and then you can use canopese which takes maybe like at least twelve days to fully grow and then be limited to the narrow shore? And then a post-rift item to protect (at that point unless you are a pro end-game rusher) a small base? Again, absurd.

There is no fun in that. You would trade optional megabasing (for those who like that) with mandatory megaworld babysitting.

I mean.. When I reference games like Ark Survival Evolved or Conan Exiles- those games are always online worlds that continue to do things even if YOU aren’t logged into the game- Dinosaurs still roam & potentially eat your tames while your offline etc…

DST takes Shortcuts by offloading portions of its game world- which has allowed players to exploit any type of harmful threat, by simply leaving their base area so nothing bad can happen to it.

I would therefore logically assume that if DST had an always running world (like Ark or Conan) that continues to do things even IF your logged off, that Players wouldn’t be able to just Offload their bases off-screen from Danger.

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I mean.. When I reference games like Ark Survival Evolved or Conan Exiles- those games are always online worlds that continue to do things even if YOU aren’t logged into the game- Dinosaurs still roam & potentially eat your tames while your offline etc…

[…]

I would therefore logically assume that if DST had an always running world

Game in the distant past (20+ years ago) have covered an area the size of Great Britain. Using procedural generation and whole swaths of nothingness.

On the one side you have the programmers and people who know that there are limitations when it comes to memory usage based on how many shards you have. On the other hand there is you, who aren’t arguing anything about the technical aspects but simply “but hey what about these other games”.

Your argument is basically that of incredulity and in turn is not worth considering in depth.

On 10/23/2023 at 2:34 PM, Mike23Ua said:

DST takes Shortcuts by offloading portions of its game world- which has allowed players to exploit any type of harmful threat, by simply leaving their base area so nothing bad can happen to it.

I would therefore logically assume that if DST had an always running world (like Ark or Conan) that continues to do things even IF your logged off, that Players wouldn’t be able to just Offload their bases off-screen from Danger.

Can't talk about conan exiles, but ARK? Nah. That game uses the exact same sort of stasis/loading system that DST does. If nobody's near your dino to actively load it and the surroundings, then nothing will be able to use it as a chew toy.

As an example, a couple days ago I lost a Pteranadons in the redwoods (Gotta love Thylas), but it didn't get mauled by raptors until just a few hours ago sense apparently nobody has gone near the redwoods until I had.

In other news, this is atleast the second time you've compared DST and ARK to prove a point, the second time that you've been completely wrong about how ARK works, and the second time that the way ark actually works, infact, proves you wrong. Maybe next time you'll get it 3 for 3.

The only real counter to wildfires is to disable them in the setting completely, because no one like playing around it anyways.

But to satisfy 99% of players and the 2 people on planet earth who likes wildfires, maybe add an 'disaster' setting in the world setting that is off by default, that'll make wilfires, lightning strikes and such global.

Heck, add more unfun settings while you're at it. Let us go on to relax by playing a game that makes us unfathomably angry.

Wow OP. What a flawless and perfectly thought out idea that absolutely nothing can go wrong with...

On 10/23/2023 at 10:34 PM, Mike23Ua said:

Wrong. ARK uses similar "trick" as DST of stopping all AI and calculations etc when there are no players around. It's done to save on server resources. It's refered to as "Stasis" :

https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/Stasis

Single Player and Non Dedicated ARK sessions have even more stricter version of this system called "Hibernation"

On 11/7/2023 at 8:25 AM, WONTow said:

The only real counter to wildfires is to disable them in the setting completely, because no one like playing around it anyways.

But to satisfy 99% of players and the 2 people on planet earth who likes wildfires, maybe add an 'disaster' setting in the world setting that is off by default, that'll make wilfires, lightning strikes and such global.

Heck, add more unfun settings while you're at it. Let us go on to relax by playing a game that makes us unfathomably angry.

I mean.. Wildfires have been a thing that have existed since DS back in 2013.. and AND they were a lot worse in DS because of how quickly things burned to a crisp in DS.. in DST Burning Sh** will stay on fire for FOREVER.. try it, try burning a single blade of grass to have light source throughout the night in DS vs DST.

Things that HAVE gone up into a Blazing Inferno can actually be Put out by Water Balloons, (not very optimal for controller users though) Watering Cans (this one’s awesome for console users) Wickerbottom (both the Fiery Pen And Rain Summoning Book) Ice Flingo Machines, Large Tree Canopies..

Theres more ways to counter Wildfires then there is to fix a boat leak or gather boating resources (like wood for oars) while out at Sea..

When Willow gets her Skill Tree I expect her to be able to put out fires after they’ve already started.. Yeah Willow loves fire, But… maybe she doesn’t want Bernie to burn to ashes.

2 things, first is lag. If the assets need to stay loaded in, it's going to make the console players to be stuck playing solo. Second off, the threat of losing all your stuff because a fire started off screen would ruin the game. Why waste time on a base if it and evening in it gets reduced to ash while you're half way across the map

On 11/9/2023 at 1:20 AM, Mike23Ua said:

Theres more ways to counter Wildfires then there is to fix a boat leak or gather boating resources (like wood for oars) while out at Sea..

You are seriously comparing a threat that only happens when you are DIRECTLY next to it, and people tend to prepare before sailing anyway. Not to mention with careful sailing you can avoid this altogether.

Your...er, I mean OP's post wants things everywhere to catch fire just because a late-late game structure exists that prevent wildfire in a range. Can you run from this side of the map to the other to save the base in time? I doubt.

Yes, in ds wildfire is scary, but back then the multiplayer/megabase concept didn't really exist yet. One time my brother went back to my base to grab stuffs, left and didn't notice a chest smoldering. Guess what we did after that.

1 hour ago, chirsg said:

There really needs to be a Sage option in the forums. 

The option to reply to a post without bumping it. This thread really needs to go the way of the dinosaur. It's a bad idea in every single sense of the term.

How so? I get it- you don’t like the idea of having the game have highly destructive or unfair features that you can’t possibly ever realistically prepare for..

However- at the exact same time, I don’t like idea of having weather & hazards that can become completely avoidable by just off-loading areas of your world.

And I honestly don’t really know how to explain that any better.

Yes LOTS of things will probably set fire in your first Summer, butttttt… that also gives you an Incentive to want to rush to build protective structures in the most vital areas you don’t want burned, then AFTER first summer you can hammer down, rebuild, repair, and be better prepared for future summers thereafter.

19 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

that also gives you an Incentive to want to rush to build protective structures in the most vital areas you don’t want burned, then AFTER first summer you can hammer down, rebuild, repair, and be better prepared for future summers thereafter.

the incentive of unistalling ghe game

you dont want to "grind" to fight a boss but you want to add pointless mechanics to add grindy work in the whole map...

33 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

How so? I get it- you don’t like the idea of having the game have highly destructive or unfair features that you can’t possibly ever realistically prepare for..

However- at the exact same time, I don’t like idea of having weather & hazards that can become completely avoidable by just off-loading areas of your world.

And I honestly don’t really know how to explain that any better.

Yes LOTS of things will probably set fire in your first Summer, butttttt… that also gives you an Incentive to want to rush to build protective structures in the most vital areas you don’t want burned, then AFTER first summer you can hammer down, rebuild, repair, and be better prepared for future summers thereafter.

It's simply bad game design. Indulging virtual masochists and making it the standard for everyone else cannot possibly be something that good for the general playerbase.

I have entered the mind of everyone who has advocated for this and honestly, It's not a good look. Can I tell you something about wildfires in real life? They're not so common in circumstances that aren't direct lightning strikes. Things don't just ignite like that in most of the world. 

One of the biggest reasons wild fires exist in summer is pretty circumstantial. Australian Eucalyptus trees are one of the biggest causes of wildfires in real life and the oils secreted from them are highly flammable, however, they have evolved to adapt to this and the fires that occur with them burn up relatively quickly and budding begins from the burnt tree. The aforementioned tree does not typically die as a result of being scorched.

I would argue that perhaps there is even less of a place for random fires to occur, except perhaps exclusively on plants that are dehydrated, meaning random trees would be completely safe 

Especially in regards to structures. Structures DO NOT burn out of nowhere outside of arson. It's not an act of god.

Literally, the only reason why people rally so hard for wildfires to be ramped up is because they happen to enjoy pain in a metaphorical sense.

I think we literally can work together to make this game more difficult without a harebrained discussion on things which we have no control over.

You want realism? Add frostbite and sunburn. If you're losing health, make it so you're not losing health that is conventionally able to be healed, but instead make it deal black damage

image.png.0d86c3a065823fac115d9780d0ca4d02.png

But the fact that I'm negotiating means that your propaganda is getting somewhere. That was a freebee. From now on, I'm going to make it my life's work to shut down any of this nonsense that will serve to ruin the game. 

23 hours ago, chirsg said:

Add frostbite and sunburn. If you're losing health, make it so you're not losing health that is conventionally able to be healed, but instead make it deal black damage

image.png.0d86c3a065823fac115d9780d0ca4d02.png

reducing max health should be used more. Acid rain could be a mechanic that used it

also, talking about temperature damage. It could raise the damage dealt, they can add visuals to show how the temperature is lower/higher than normaly

adding a setting to raise damage deal to players (after we complain about it don't being added) was a good thing to counter things like munching jelly beans to counter DoT weather damage 

Archived