[Game Update] - 575729

7 hours ago, Cassielu said:

I said it ruined Deerclops, not Eyeball.

Giving the player more eyeballs is indeed a good change, I also understand that some people think it is a change that will do more good than harm, although for me it is not.

Did you know that Deerclops has her own behavior cycle?   It wasn't just "When kill her again".   But thanks to the flare, it was all completely worthless now.   The way you get extract loot from deerclops has absolutely nothing to do with deerclops itself, players are encouraged to interact with her in the simplest and mindless way, and the exploration and learning of the game world is useless.

They could have given the player eyeballs in a better way.   Like the bearger fur, dragonfly scales, moosegoose nest, malbatross feathers, these are not only not achieved in a destructive way, also make them better.  There are also sleeping bags or blueprints, if you have to settle for less.

But Klei chose to let Deerclops respawn over and over again, not only as a gameplay compromise, but as if they didn't care at all.

To be fair, it would be kinda silly to follow Deerclops around and pick up pieces of her eyeball that are flaking off while she destroys your base. I'm not sure what the non violent interaction to get more eyeballs from a cyclops could even be, its not the same as fur or feathers.

• Like 2

I would prefer been able to plug a Opal Gem into the Ice Crystaleyezer structure but i can see the point of the devs to only allowed the Deerclops Eyeball...

Spoiler

Please change the Ice Crystaleyezer Eyeball to be more related in design to the Houndius Shootius!

Ice_Crystaleyezer_Eyeball_Build.png

Ice_Crystaleyezer_BuildInn.png

Edited by DamnUniverse
change in the attach files
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

I've seen a few people say it helps with getting more Houndius late game as well but I really don't see how this is the case at all haha, you need the horn for each houndius and resetting Ancient Guardian is a whole thing, you gotta fight Fuelweaver to reset Guardian and you need a shadow heart for every FW fight (yes you can cheese shadow piece bosses to get a ton of hearts at once but still). Houndius is very much restricted by Ancient Guardian and not Deerclops. In my long term world I have a basically full chest of Deerclops eyes (I think it might even have a full bundle of them as well in one of the slots) but want to know how many Guardian Horns I have saved up? NONE! They all immediately go towards making Houndius. I know you technically could reset ruins and fight Guardian just as many times as you fight Deerclops each in-game year but its still a much longer and more difficult task to do so. 

I play Wanda and base in caves (so I don't kill deerclops every winter as I may spend the whole season without going to surface) but I can kill FW and AG multiple times a year while deerclops only spawns once without a flare.

Wanda's teleport really makes this much easier as I just teleport to FW where I have like 8+ houndius to kill him fast and there's 2 anenemy at AG so he dies in like 10 days, so I can get a horn every 21-23 days because I am not trying to be there the minute FW respawns when eyeball is once a year thing without flares.

I use flares to kill 15+ deerclops in one go and this is such a QOL that I probably wouldn't bother with houndius without it.

As a player you already have to do too much.. Kill FW,AG and deerclops that would only give you one eyeball a year and now if you are not playing alone everyone wants eyebrella.

Edited by 00petar00
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Cassielu said:

I said it ruined Deerclops, not Eyeball.

Giving the player more eyeballs is indeed a good change, I also understand that some people think it is a change that will do more good than harm, although for me it is not.

Did you know that Deerclops has her own behavior cycle?   It wasn't just "When kill her again".   But thanks to the flare, it was all completely worthless now.   The way you get extract loot from deerclops has absolutely nothing to do with deerclops itself, players are encouraged to interact with her in the simplest and mindless way, and the exploration and learning of the game world is useless.

They could have given the player eyeballs in a better way.   Like the bearger fur, dragonfly scales, moosegoose nest, malbatross feathers, these are not only not achieved in a destructive way, also make them better.  There are also sleeping bags or blueprints, if you have to settle for less.

But Klei chose to let Deerclops respawn over and over again, not only as a gameplay compromise, but as if they didn't care at all.

Your point is understandable.

I always had a weird quirky idea in my head of a rare fish in the ocean that would be fished up and be able to be murdered for a deerclops eyeball.

Edited by Jakepeng99
  • Sanity 1

I love that range weapons are getting more use now! I was thinking about the bee mines and how something like that is underused so if a planar mine existed that would have maybe about the range of the shadow snare Maxwell trap and that did maybe about 300 damage that would be cool! (Of course damage and range stuff is just an idea I have no idea of balancing)

15 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

I mean you can still get enough boss drops for each player by using the Flare you just have to earn each one with a new fight so isn't this already pretty similar? You do get a ton of extra meat this way as well I suppose but you are earning it by beating the boss each time. 
I'm obviously very biased on this topic as a predominantly solo player but I don't think we should get a boss drop for each player from bosses I just think there should be plenty of options and ways to re-do fights sooner rather than later to get enough drops for each player. Most if not all bosses have a toggle in world settings to allow them to respawn much faster (or slower) already so I just see the Flare as basically this but for Deerclops who doesn't respawn in the same spot like most of the rest like Dfly, BQ etc. You can fight Dfly, BQ and every other non-seasonal boss multiple times every season so I quite like that with the Flare you can either leave Deerclops as a once a Winter event or can choose to fight her multiple times in Winter if you prefer. Helps multiplayer servers get more eyebrellas.

I've seen a few people say it helps with getting more Houndius late game as well but I really don't see how this is the case at all haha, you need the horn for each houndius and resetting Ancient Guardian is a whole thing, you gotta fight Fuelweaver to reset Guardian and you need a shadow heart for every FW fight (yes you can cheese shadow piece bosses to get a ton of hearts at once but still). Houndius is very much restricted by Ancient Guardian and not Deerclops. In my long term world I have a basically full chest of Deerclops eyes (I think it might even have a full bundle of them as well in one of the slots) but want to know how many Guardian Horns I have saved up? NONE! They all immediately go towards making Houndius. I know you technically could reset ruins and fight Guardian just as many times as you fight Deerclops each in-game year but its still a much longer and more difficult task to do so. 

gateway has 20(?) days of cooldown so you can get more horns than eyes by killing multiple shadow chess pieces (usually i fight 2 rooks at once so i never run out of hearts and the fight is less lame in that way) and killing fuelweaver everytime the gateway resets

4 hours ago, SpookyXy said:

To be fair, it would be kinda silly to follow Deerclops around and pick up pieces of her eyeball that are flaking off while she destroys your base. I'm not sure what the non violent interaction to get more eyeballs from a cyclops could even be, its not the same as fur or feathers.

Well I could suggest a quite spooky, mildly disturbing suggestion where just like the lunar mutated frogs, Deerclops grows a bunch of abnormal eyeballs all over her back that occasionally just pop off & roll across the ground..

I mean, the Eye of Terror literally spits up floating Eyeballs.. 

So right there would be two bosses who could drop eyeballs if eyes are going to be used in more crafts in the future.

I mean even Minecraft has the Spiders Eye as a semi-Grotesque crafting ingredient, why shouldn’t DST double down on that?

9 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I mean even Minecraft has the Spiders Eye as a semi-Grotesque crafting ingredient, why shouldn’t DST double down on that?

Because that's 16 x 16 pixels that's not really scary or grotesque dst has a lot more potential to be gory or weird with it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lenship2 said:

omg ocean fishing could be viable for once, thats genius

I don’t like the dearclops eye fish idea I think the current system is just fine. But I do love an idea ocean fish giving a rare or exclusive resource to give them more viability. Maybe after the rifts open you can catch a fish that can give you moon gleams. Or a fish that when killed gives you fossils (Coelacanth maybe?) an other idea is a fish that can be used for armor or weaponry (both would be more effective on water)

• Health 1

3 minutes ago, RonanMcQ said:

I don’t like the dearclops eye fish idea I think the current system is just fine. But I do love an idea ocean fish giving a rare or exclusive resource to give them more viability. Maybe after the rifts open you can catch a fish that can give you moon gleams. Or a fish that when killed gives you fossils (Coelacanth maybe?) an other idea is a fish that can be used for armor or weaponry (both would be more effective on water)

Any ocean content at all is always a W

• Like 3

I enjoy that Don't Starve Together seems to be doing more "uncompromising survival" stuff. It's a personal opinion, but really I feel like that's what the game wants to be. Stuff like megabasing simplifies the game, and there does need to be some stuff like lunar hail that'll stop you from just sitting back and relaxing. Or not, the devs might have a totally different viewpoint.

• Like 1
  • Shopcat 1

The opinion that running a mega-base is just about simplifying the game and taking it easy reflects a profound misunderstanding, which becomes apparent when they've never truly operated a mega-base. Furthermore, do not underestimate the journey to reach a mega-base and what it entails.

• Like 4
  • Big Ups 1

3 hours ago, CoSpider said:

I enjoy that Don't Starve Together seems to be doing more "uncompromising survival" stuff. It's a personal opinion, but really I feel like that's what the game wants to be. Stuff like megabasing simplifies the game, and there does need to be some stuff like lunar hail that'll stop you from just sitting back and relaxing. Or not, the devs might have a totally different viewpoint.

you should try and see how much troubles there are that just surviving doesnt bring plus the ammount of mechanic megabasers experience vs how the few ones you experience to survive

i dont get how making set pieces and avenues simplifies the game but maybe is because i know about how hard can be building in a game with a stupid ammount of annoyances that doesnt bring challenges

society in a nutshell, the less people know about something the more people talk 

• Big Ups 1

5 minutes ago, arubaro said:

society in a nutshell, the less people know about something the more people talk 

For real, like half the users on here defending Lunar Hail are accounts I've rarely if ever seen post before and from what they have to say and their lack of understanding mechanics they're clearly casuals or newer players. They have zero experience actually playing late game and building a "megabase" or highly built up world. It's like they think every threat and mob just completely disappears, that the health sanity and hunger meters disappear and never have to be worried about again and that megabasers have no challenges left at all in the game. Self imposed challenges, new content and bosses that we regular receive still exist.

Apparently late game is just nothing but building and decorating and nothing else whatsoever. We tackle and fight the exact same threats, bosses, seasonal changes and needs etc we just have an abundance of resources (that we've taken the effort to farm, collect and store) to do so with. Yeah late game is easier but it's not god mode. They also have no understanding or concept of the dedication and challenge of reaching such a late stage part of the game in the first place.

• Like 5
  • Shopcat 1
  • Big Ups 1

4 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

For real, like half the users on here defending Lunar Hail are accounts I've rarely if ever seen post before and from what they have to say and their lack of understanding mechanics they're clearly casuals or newer players. They have zero experience actually playing late game and building a "megabase" or highly built up world. It's like they think every threat and mob just completely disappears, that the health sanity and hunger meters disappear and never have to be worried about again and that megabasers have no challenges left at all in the game. Self imposed challenges, new content and bosses that we regular receive still exist.

Apparently late game is just nothing but building and decorating and nothing else whatsoever. We tackle and fight the exact same threats, bosses, seasonal changes and needs etc we just have an abundance of resources (that we've taken the effort to farm, collect and store) to do so with. Yeah late game is easier but it's not god mode. They also have no understanding or concept of the dedication and challenge of reaching such a late stage part of the game in the first place.

and we not only survive and defeat the same challenge with bigger abundance of resources we also protect resource founts that cant be crafted. Sometimes i died just because i didnt wanted to lose s cactus or didnt get 40 pig skin from houses to rush the ruins plus shoveling all the blue mushrooms on their way (40 helmets with 40 caps...wow such challege, wow much uncompromising) to keep the world as natural and filled as possible

we also have less room to fight hordes (i dont even have a hound defense area, just empty circle so they cant break anything), we need to protect our mobs and builds from hazards and these hordes...

and some of us even make the game more difficult like not using doble bone armor, changing settings to receive more damage or masochists people like glermz playing on hardcore

the reason why adventure mode from single player was easy is for how the player had 0 attachment to the world so "is cold?" np, just burn the entire forest, "no light?" burn the entire forest, "need quick resources?" just hammer'em all

• Like 1

I accept defeat. I can't argue against a point I'm not a part of, and I shouldn't make claims in subjects I don't have experience in. If these changes really negatively affect people who megabase, then that's that.
But I'm not an inexperienced player, I just don't exactly play the long game, and usually rush bosses or the ruins and regenerate a world. I have 1,850 hours in Don't Starve Together, but I do also understand that hour counts don't immediately equal skill.
Tl;dr I'm mistaken

• Like 1