Three Problems I'm Seeing With The Ice Crystaleyezer

In see three problems with the Ice Crystaleyezer that makes me not want to use them (other than the fact that you can only get 1 a year due to Bearger):

1. The freezing power is like a Polar Star but on steroids. You can't actually use these things to make a livable base cause any player is just going to eventually face freezing issues inside it's range, especially when you start to use these on a large scake.

2. I understand that this part is intentional, but having it act like an Ocuvigil where it loads your map, in my experience, will make your map look rather ugly. I have an example here in this world here where I used Ocuvigils to mark an entire decidious biome + part of a meteor biome and while it worked for that, it was also very ugly to look at. We're incentivized to make as many of these things as possible as well if you plan on basing outside of the Oasis base during the Summer.

Edit: A third problem is that if you hammer the structure, you don't actually get back the Spark Ark, which in it's current iteration, means you've wasted a year of your time. Even if you could quickly get many Spark Arks, losing it due to hammering the structure should change in my opinion since there are no dupe strats to multiply your Spark Arks.

11 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

The freezing power is like a Polar Star but on steroids

Polar star is already more powerful than Dwarf star. This thing can freeze you in the middle of summer eve if you have no seasonal gear on you. 

I don't understand why Ice Crystaleyezer couldn't be Scaled Furnace but cold. That's all I ever wanted. But it's so extra.

1 minute ago, maxwell_winters said:

I don't understand why Ice Crystaleyezer couldn't be Scaled Furnace but cold. That's all I ever wanted. But it's so extra.

I think it's like this because it prevents smoldering in its radius (which I forgot to mention).

That's the reason I want to build an entire biome with these but ultimately seeing myself not doing for the reasons I listed above.

1 hour ago, lakhnish said:

you've wasted a year of your time

you don't actually get back the Spark Ark

these two should be addressed. all the bosses are so high risk that it's absurd the reward for killing each is one third of a prize. 

Especially since bearger can't be summoned with a hostile flare.

Edit: A third problem is that if you hammer the structure, you don't actually get back the Spark Ark, which in it's current iteration, means you've wasted a year of your time. Even if you could quickly get many Spark Arks, losing it due to hammering the structure should change in my opinion since there are no dupe strats to multiply your Spark Arks.

Wow, I had no idea... so warning for everyone but both hammering and deconstructing a Spark Ark item destroys it !

Not sure if I like how it's done especially for structures. It would be a lot better if destroying it was dropping the kit back entirely for relocating / adjusting.
(considering how placement blockers are handled in this game, it's only fair)
So if they want to keep loosing the ark thing it's only done if you deconstruct the kit, making it on the same page as the two other ark items.

2 hours ago, maxwell_winters said:

Polar star is already more powerful than Dwarf star. This thing can freeze you in the middle of summer eve if you have no seasonal gear on you. 

The goal of the crastaleyezer is to simulate an entire season within an area, which is a uniquely "cool" identity, even if it needs to be tweaked a bit. Definitely not worth it the way things are right now, but it would lose so much identity to be changed to just a cold furnace. Cold furnaces would be less useful than a scaled furnace, since you can already use ice boxes to batch-cool thermal stones with.

6 hours ago, lakhnish said:

1. The freezing power is like a Polar Star but on steroids. You can't actually use these things to make a livable base cause any player is just going to eventually face freezing issues inside it's range, especially when you start to use these on a large scake.

I think for this the solution would be to have a second eye slot 1 eye for reasonable protection and 2 eyes for the current freeze strength for anyone who wants to keep the current power output.

2. I understand that this part is intentional, but having it act like an Ocuvigil where it loads your map, in my experience, will make your map look rather ugly. I have an example here in this world here where I used Ocuvigils to mark an entire decidious biome + part of a meteor biome and while it worked for that, it was also very ugly to look at. We're incentivized to make as many of these things as possible as well if you plan on basing outside of the Oasis base during the Summer.

This could probably be fixed with skins I hope.

A third problem is that if you hammer the structure, you don't actually get back the Spark Ark

Yikes this needs changed.

It should have the freezing range of a scaled furnace while still having the same range for stopping wildfires.

Why would anyone bother to use this if they are just going to freeze when they are in base? At that point you are locked out of the base either way so it doesn't matter if you build this or not as you will be forced to stay out of it for the duration of the summer.

We should be able to get multiple sparks a year so every possessed mob should drop one.

Hammering the crystaleyezer should give back the spark too.

Archived