Ewecus coming out of a Koalephant Corpse Is Weird

There's been some changes to how hunts are done.

From what I can tell from my gameplay, when you follow a dirt pile, it can fork onto a normal safe path or a dangerous path, as marked with a hounds tooth.

When you follow the safe one, you pretty much get a Koalephant the majority of the time, but you can still get a surprise hunt.

If you fully follow the hounds tooth one, there's a Varg that's fast asleep lying with 2 meat and a Koalephant trunk.

If you partially follow the hound tooth one but go back to the safe path, you will find a dead Koalaphant and have a chance between a Varg and a Ewecus.

My feedback is for this third scenario. Having a Ewecus come out of a Koalephant's corpse is very weird to me as when the two are in the same pen, they are passive to each other.

Here's a short clip in action in a test world:

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

There's been some changes to how hunts are done.

From what I can tell from my gameplay, when you follow a dirt pile, it can fork onto a normal safe path or a dangerous path, as marked with a hounds tooth.

When you follow the safe one, you pretty much get a Koalephant the majority of the time, but you can still get a surprise hunt.

If you fully follow the hounds tooth one, there's a Varg that's fast asleep lying with 2 meat and a Koalephant trunk.

If you partially follow the hound tooth one but go back to the safe path, you will find a dead Koalaphant and have a chance between a Varg and a Ewecus.

My feedback is for this third scenario. Having a Ewecus come out of a Koalephant's corpse is very weird to me as when the two are in the same pen, they are passive to each other.

Here's a short clip in action in a test world:

Off track, but maybe for the lunar koalephant, we will find the koala corpse sitting there, and when you get close a bunch of xeno morph koalas burst out the corpse and hunt you down.

Out of all the hunts I’ve ever went on I’ve only encountered an Ewecus maybe once… I’ve had better luck finding Malbatross than I have an Ewecus, my hunts always lead to either Koalephant or them dreadful Vargs.

Is there a specific thing I need to do to get Ewecus? (Like doing a hunt in the rain in the desert to find volt goats) or am I just really luck (getting Koalephant) and really unlucky (getting Varg)?

1 minute ago, HEAVYDIRTYSOUL said:

a bit offtopic but i absolutely love that new system. Encountering Ewecus was borderline impossible before, i think i've met him like only 2 times during the 2000 hours i wasted on DST. Now being able to choose between who you want to hunt is really great
 :wickerbottomthanks:klei :)

Next i hope for more uses for steel wool, and better drops for the regular varg to make it worth tracking and killing.

Also how does the hunting work for volt goats?

The Ewecus spawn should keep the Koalefant's full drops. Having Ewecus as an unlucky spawn is bad enough already, and it probably wouldn't even be able to chew with its nonexistent teeth.

Also can't wait for the Koalefant's corpse (Vargphant, perhaps?) to kick back at its predator as soon as it comes out.

29 minutes ago, HEAVYDIRTYSOUL said:

a bit offtopic but i absolutely love that new system. Encountering Ewecus was borderline impossible before, i think i've met him like only 2 times during the 2000 hours i wasted on DST. Now being able to choose between who you want to hunt is really great
 :wickerbottomthanks:klei :)

I think it is temporary

image.png.80326494fa8ae5cd181197f3141fdf43.png

1 hour ago, lakhnish said:

Seems like you have a chance between Varg and Ewecus when fully following the unsafe track as well, I followed the first track I found, went fully on the unsafe track and found Ewecus next to some meat.

image.thumb.png.e9e8684d8552ab7bd52b2d515473b09b.png

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Out of all the hunts I’ve ever went on I’ve only encountered an Ewecus maybe once… I’ve had better luck finding Malbatross than I have an Ewecus, my hunts always lead to either Koalephant or them dreadful Vargs.

Is there a specific thing I need to do to get Ewecus? (Like doing a hunt in the rain in the desert to find volt goats) or am I just really luck (getting Koalephant) and really unlucky (getting Varg)?

You can turn up hunt surprises in world settings, makes Ewecus and varg much more common. You can currently do this on console before we get these changes. 

5 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Next i hope for more uses for steel wool, and better drops for the regular varg to make it worth tracking and killing.

Also how does the hunting work for volt goats?

If you finish a hunt in spring in the desert they exist in while it's raining there's a good chance it'll be a single charged volt goat. If you leave it alone and let it uncharge it will multiply and create a new herd.

Archived