Local Temperature Mechanic [Praising+Suggestion]

Another post from yours truly, where I would like to highlight a new mechanic from the beta that made it and is utilized by the Ice Crystaleyezer currently, but is such an awesomely cool mechanic that has potential to be used and expanded in really awesome ways.

The Ice Crystaleyezer might just seem like an endo scaled furnace, but what it does is it changes the very world temperature around it. Instead of just being something to cooldown things, it essentially transforms the area around it into an isolated winter! 

image.thumb.png.40b6fbbfd902bf7c25d476e93261dd02.png

An absolute world temperature is set in the area around the active crystaleyezer.

This affects things like:

• The thermal measurer
  • The frosty breath that you usually only have in Winter appears when your player is around too!
  • Plants won't wither from overheating in Summer
  • Perishables will rot slower
  • Wildfires will not occur
  • Even the pollen effect that appears in summer doesn't appear when around this thing!!!

So, again! To reiterate, this thing essentially transforms the area around it into an isolated winter which I think is really awesome, you can trade one season for another in a specific area, take advantage of the upsides of that season.

I hope that this gets expanded further! While technically these are dependant on the actual season and not world temperature, I think it would be really great if the Ice Crystaleyezer:

• Allowed the spawn of snow robins around it
  • Has the ground snow effect around it
  • Rain is turned to snow within the area
  • Ponds freeze
  • Icebergs are maintained and regenerate

I hope we can see this local temperature mechanic be utilized in the future more, it would be amazing to see biomes with set world temperatures inside of them, or a summer equivalent of this to increase the world temperature in an area. Cheers! Couldn't help but obsess over this mechanic for one post

Just wish this item didn't cause freeze damage after putting in the eyeball. I play WX tho so I should be able to negate this with the heat circuit. It's a shame that you have to wait a full year to get a 2nd spark, because this would be a really nice way to prevent wildfires in areas not located near water.

huh, interesting! 

Would be cool if Wicker received the upgraded temperature book, that would utilize this in some way(like creating a little area of normal temperature), or if Wanda could create little temporary season zones with some watch. 

42 minutes ago, ButterStuffed said:

Does the temperature change also influence how quickly water evaporates from a farm?

Good thought! It actually does not yet as it still makes use of the world temperature value rather than a call to the local temperature function

image.thumb.png.fbc3a5cdba2f3c69ef2b01611ccfe8b5.png

I will report it as a bug.

27 minutes ago, skile said:

Would be cool if Wicker received the upgraded temperature book, that would utilize this in some way(like creating a little area of normal temperature), or if Wanda could create little temporary season zones with some watch. 

That would be AMAZING, I really like the "Redux" books in Wicker's rework and wish there was more of them. I've always wanted an Everything Encyclopedia Redux that works similarly to brain of thought, a redux temperature book that makes use of this local temperature mechanic would be really fun.

52 minutes ago, skile said:

huh, interesting! 

Limiting cool stuff like this to characters isnt really good imo

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

An absolute world temperature is set in the area around the active crystaleyezer.

Interesting thing I noticed. Because it's setting the local world temperature down to what appears to be -10 degrees, Winter insulation kicks in. Even in the middle of Summer.

Wearing full Winter clothing is actually a thing that you can do to offset the extreme chill. Very neat.

--EDIT

OH, since it is setting the local world to -10 degrees it is easier to reach a higher temperature during Winter, since the temperature can go as low as -30 degrees. With how Thermal Stones work you won't freeze around this thing during a large portion of winter, so long as you have a stone in your inventory. This appears to be an oversight though.

Archived