If the beta doesn't come out today maybe they are working on a big update?

I think they said at some point, I don't know if it was just to appease the forum, that the third update of the portals would be bigger and would tie up the loose ends, because let's be honest, after this dull collab, another half-baked update would be very frustrating, so let them take the time it takes to deliver something cool I guess...

5 hours ago, Dragonboooorn said:

It will be QoL update with 3 visual reskins, 2 tufs and 1 firepit.

They will prolly also threw few skins and call it a day

POV: you see someone that is bitter that klei did not stop all of its current development for the bite sized crossover.

(also, there were five skins)

10 hours ago, Valase said:

POV: you see someone that is bitter that klei did not stop all of its current development for the bite sized crossover.

(also, there were five skins)

Thats the problem.

Time gap between updates is quite big already, and I doubt Klei will finally release from beyond part III.

Way too good to be real.

1 hour ago, Dragonboooorn said:

Thats the problem.

Time gap between updates is quite big already, and I doubt Klei will finally release from beyond part III.

Way too good to be real.

Aren't these free updates?????? Let them cook, play a character you don't normally play to pass the time. 

Just now, NeverTheNorm said:

Aren't these free updates?????? Let them cook, play a character you don't normally play to pass the time. 

Devs make updates to encourage players to continue playing their game with new content added.

Its in their intrests to keep players active, as well as making high quality skins so players will buy said skins and support devs.

Because updates are free, people are ok with said updates to be poorly made or being slow to release?

Vagaries of perception. All of the first two statements you made are true. The third is your opinion on timing and quality, but it seems you are in the minority. In introspection, you should think about the fact that you are not having to commit additional resources (i.e. money) to enjoy whatever content they do put out.

So if you really are truly appalled at the pace of updates, play something else until it drops and evaluate if the time between updates and what they put out with said time is worth your most important resource (i.e. time). If it's not meh, you didn't pay for it anyway move on. But crying now about something that was communicated as relatively light and recommunicated as such and applying same logic to future updates and ball that up in a trash joke is childish. 

In light of all the games these days where you have to continually pay for mediocre at best updates, you should appreciate the devs who are receptive to criticism and provide additional content to keep you engaged for free. I think the word is called perspective? Even if you disagree with their direction/updates/timelines, only thing you as a consumer are wasting is time. So apply to be Klei dev and be the change you want to see or give measured critiques, I am sure they will at a minimum read them. I can guarantee you they don't care at all about what you said above lol

2 hours ago, NeverTheNorm said:

Vagaries of perception. All of the first two statements you made are true. The third is your opinion on timing and quality, but it seems you are in the minority. In introspection, you should think about the fact that you are not having to commit additional resources (i.e. money) to enjoy whatever content they do put out.

So if you really are truly appalled at the pace of updates, play something else until it drops and evaluate if the time between updates and what they put out with said time is worth your most important resource (i.e. time). If it's not meh, you didn't pay for it anyway move on. But crying now about something that was communicated as relatively light and recommunicated as such and applying same logic to future updates and ball that up in a trash joke is childish. 

In light of all the games these days where you have to continually pay for mediocre at best updates, you should appreciate the devs who are receptive to criticism and provide additional content to keep you engaged for free. I think the word is called perspective? Even if you disagree with their direction/updates/timelines, only thing you as a consumer are wasting is time. So apply to be Klei dev and be the change you want to see or give measured critiques, I am sure they will at a minimum read them. I can guarantee you they don't care at all about what you said above lol

We got a lot of debate bros in this forum don't we? :D 

I think it's fair that people say what they wanna say, considering it's sincere. 

On 8/31/2023 at 10:44 PM, xhyom said:

and would tie up the loose ends,

lmao

8 hours ago, NeverTheNorm said:

Hah, fool is you because the game's revenue depends on optional and not mandatory purchases outside of the purchase of the game itself. That means that  you cannot criticize the updates.

In introspection, maybe it's not really a free-to-play game in actual practice.

On 8/31/2023 at 3:06 PM, Dragonboooorn said:

It will be QoL update with 3 visual reskins, 2 tufs and 1 firepit.

They will prolly also threw few skins and call it a day

If they stopped releasing small updates and only did big ones like you keep asking for I guarantee you'd instead be complaining about the timespan between updates. You've seen dozens of times over that the CotL crossover was small because it didn't impact the rest of the updates. If it was bigger it would have impacted the actual updates.

15 hours ago, NeverTheNorm said:

image.png.ef43d506b36817a8062b4aa0e3eba551.png

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

image.png.ef43d506b36817a8062b4aa0e3eba551.png

those are still skins you know cosmetics that don't influence the game in the least and don't unlock new game content and not a sims 4 style content dlc thingimage.png.de3a5b104259f3f862373f81796f5a61.png

idk why people keep bringing up the skins pack when you know yourself damn well that you don't pay a dime to the get the actual updates yes you can pay to get the skins faster but that still doesn't mean that you are paying for the update

50 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

those are still skins you know cosmetics that don't influence the game in the least and don't unlock new game content and not a sims 4 style content dlc thing

Are people buying the skins or not? Are skin sales how they make money on the playerbase who bought this game many years ago or not? Maybe there are other ways they make money. I don't know. You tell me.

At the end of the day though this is not some open source game that volunteers work on in their free time.

idk why people keep bringing up the skins pack when you know yourself damn well that you don't pay a dime to the get the actual updates yes you can pay to get the skins faster but that still doesn't mean that you are paying for the update

Let's say that the game is totally free to get and you only pay for skins. So freaking what if you don't pay for the “actual updates”? If the company is not going bankrupt or operating at a loss by Tencent (...why would it?) then the sales of skins are subsidizing the development costs. So it doesn't matter in the slightest.

If I go in a store and buy something—I need to buy something according to the ethical standards here so there you go—and a store employee is rude to me then I might complain. But wait no, that's unreasonable of me. I literally don't actually pay any part of the salary of the employee or tip them; I payed for the item. Therefore I may only critique the item that I payed for.

Amazing that these basic concepts even need to be spelled out.

But sure. If you bought the game 3+ years ago then you are only allowed to critique the skins that the game sells on this forum. Looking forward to the exciting art discussions.

I'm shocked they didn't include proper paid skins in the previous update.

I've been asking for topiary hay wall skins for a while and it's puzzling why they don't add it if it's a major source of revenue.

It's so fiscally irresponsible 

8 hours ago, gamehun20 said:

those are still skins you know cosmetics that don't influence the game in the least and don't unlock new game content and not a sims 4 style content dlc thingimage.png.de3a5b104259f3f862373f81796f5a61.png

Oh, I don't have to buy the skins? Thank you for this revelation. I was under the impression that if I didn't buy a single DLC JoeW would bust through my window like an action movie, take his pipe out of his mouth, then say an awesome one-liner like "Looks like you should've Don't Not Buy All Our DLC... Together." before blasting me with a gun.

The point is that the game costs money, and every single update they release (except for this crossover that people are complaining about for some reason) has things in it that cost money. They aren't updating the game out of the goodness of their heart, they're updating their most popular game and adding more skins to keep player retention to keep profits flowing in. The updates being free is expected, and irrelevant. The updates being free is a much more profitable business model, there's a reason basically every game has a ton of MTX and many of the top most profitable ones are free to plays like Fortnite (which only charges for skins, and nothing else).

Last mentioned 3rd part of "From Beyond" arc is theoretically about "tying all things together" and adding a lot more content to Rifts (possibly to general World mechanics as well), as per what KLei hinted at. It stands to reason to take a lot more time for its development. I doubt such a Beta will come soon. More likely a QoL and/or more character Skill Trees. Anyway, be patient, lads and lasses - if anything, "Where update, Keli?!" repeated on-and-on could only induce stress to some KLei employees (if they do read forums, which I doubt - not including moderators that may summarize certain recurrent & popular topics-of-interest to the dev team or to management).

26 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Oh, I don't have to buy the skins? Thank you for this revelation. I was under the impression that if I didn't buy a single DLC JoeW would bust through my window like an action movie, take his pipe out of his mouth, then say an awesome one-liner like "Looks like you should've Don't Not Buy All Our DLC... Together." before blasting me with a gun.

The point is that the game costs money, and every single update they release (except for this crossover that people are complaining about for some reason) has things in it that cost money. They aren't updating the game out of the goodness of their heart, they're updating their most popular game and adding more skins to keep player retention to keep profits flowing in. The updates being free is expected, and irrelevant. The updates being free is a much more profitable business model, there's a reason basically every game has a ton of MTX and many of the top most profitable ones are free to plays like Fortnite (which only charges for skins, and nothing else).

I completely understand why they made their point, you were being incredibly disingenuous. 

I don't think it's that deep, Klei could easily make more money by removing the ability to generate your own spools by unravelling your freeeeeeeee items. Which lets be honest, is very generous, you get your free one a day and then more whilst you play/afk on pause. 

Do you ever think that Klei are proud of their game? I think they are. I also really feel they want their players to enjoy the experience. Of course they have to make money, I don't really think it's even worth explaining why they'd need to, pretty easy to see. 

20 minutes ago, Uedo said:

I completely understand why they made their point, you were being incredibly disingenuous. 

I don't think it's that deep, Klei could easily make more money by removing the ability to generate your own spools by unravelling your freeeeeeeee items. Which lets be honest, is very generous, you get your free one a day and then more whilst you play/afk on pause. 

Do you ever think that Klei are proud of their game? I think they are. I also really feel they want their players to enjoy the experience. Of course they have to make money, I don't really think it's even worth explaining why they'd need to, pretty easy to see. 

"Klei isn't being the most greedy company imaginable, therefore you are not allowed to criticize them."

Besides, the ability to very slowly earn things for free helps player retention and artificially boosts DST's numbers because of the idlers that you admit exist, both things that help Klei. If this stuff is "pretty easy to see" and doesn't need explaining, why are you making your comment calling me disingenuous? You clearly don't see it, or you wouldn't be acting like Klei is immune to criticism because they're running a business designed to take our money.

15 minutes ago, Uedo said:

It's an incentive to keep playing the game.

The skins are already there and no one (except maybe a handful of people like a few streamers) is going to get all the skins. So it makes total sense to give a constant stream of freebies out as an incentive.

It's not like Klei has to work in the Spool Mines in order to give them out.

2 hours ago, abrocator said:

It's an incentive to keep playing the game.

The skins are already there and no one (except maybe a handful of people like a few streamers) is going to get all the skins. So it makes total sense to give a constant stream of freebies out as an incentive.

It's not like Klei has to work in the Spool Mines in order to give them out.

I got a chuckle after reading "spool mines"

9 hours ago, Cheggf said:

"Klei isn't being the most greedy company imaginable, therefore you are not allowed to criticize them."

Besides, the ability to very slowly earn things for free helps player retention and artificially boosts DST's numbers because of the idlers that you admit exist, both things that help Klei. If this stuff is "pretty easy to see" and doesn't need explaining, why are you making your comment calling me disingenuous? You clearly don't see it, or you wouldn't be acting like Klei is immune to criticism because they're running a business designed to take our money.

Probably not gonna engage in hypotheticals with you dude.

I think it's a pretty easy concept, you'll get there.

Wow this one got pretty heated. The roadmap told us it would be tiny. I believe the goal of the crossover was to increase exposure between the fans of both of these games. It got me to check out another cool game, and it convinced a lot of new survivors to join the constant. Because they forecast it properly, my expectations were pretty low, so with the delivery on new players, I see this as a win.

On 9/2/2023 at 11:42 AM, Cheggf said:

Can someone make this into a comic or animation but so as to keep with the theming have the pipe turn into a pipe gun.

On 9/4/2023 at 8:55 PM, Mysterious box said:

Can someone make this into a comic or animation but so as to keep with the theming have the pipe turn into a pipe gun.

Think @MostMerryTomcat can do it, he animated something similar over a year ago.

wiLOLson-thoughts.gif.1b4e2eebdb6f8412c01af0df7ad0b062.gif

Yes i went back that far to get this

Source post: DST has lost it's edge. [RANT!] - [Don't Starve Together] General Discussion - Klei Entertainment Forums

Archived