What keeps your hyper lategame (Day 3-10K+) worlds going?

I’m making this post partially due to This Other Post I saw while looking on the PS/console bug tracker. I’m a massive fan of endgame DST, and I notice the PlayStation community, in particular, has quite a few cases where worlds have insane day counts that rival a significant amount of the PC player base, and I’ve always been intrigued to see what people do on consoles when they reach that far.

For a bit of background info, I used to play a lot of DST on a PS4 back in 2016-2017. After that, I got a decent computer to play DST on (which was mildly ironic because an unfortunate incident relating to volt goat merging was what caused me to stop my furthest console world at around 1,5K days shortly afterward), but I’ve always held a soft spot for that version. It was the first time I experienced events like winters feast, the first time I legitimately killed fuelweaver without entirely cheesing the fight, the second time I had ever legitimately reached 1K days (the first was in pocket edition), and mostly got me adapted to the noticeable HP jumps from DS to DST.

Nowdays, I currently have an almost day 14K world on my PC. I have been playing it on/off lately due to a bit of a burnout from almost playing the entirety of return of them nonstop, but I have progressively been playing more as the rift content has made me intrigued.

Overall, I’m very curious to see what some of you like to do! 

For the past 2-3 years I haven't been able to keep myself interested in my long term world, it's around day 8k. I guess mostly  burnout, like you are saying. I thought the rifts content would bring me back to playing that world, but I ended up not wanting to mess stuff up and ended up making new worlds to test the mechanics. 

Also another thing that set me back is the lag, it's almost impossible to enjoy the world with another player. And most 1k+ worlds tend to become very laggy on ps4 even if you try to keep it somewhat clean. It's the love of decorating/designing that kept me going for so long, I haven't been feeling too inspired to tackle big projects for a while. I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, but I am also interested in other perspectives. 

On 7/30/2023 at 3:57 AM, BeeClops said:

Also another thing that set me back is the lag, it's almost impossible to enjoy the world with another player. And most 1k+ worlds tend to become very laggy on ps4 even if you try to keep it somewhat clean. It's the love of decorating/designing that kept me going for so long, I haven't been feeling too inspired to tackle big projects for a while. I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, but I am also interested in other perspectives. 

Sister time to upgrade to a PS4. My PS4 was terrible at running most games, not just DST. 

I'm on almost 14k days on console (ps5) and I still have fun. When I get bored or burned out I play pubs, other games or do other stuff in life. 

What keeps me going is a variety of things. 

Finding new builds or farms or setups others have created or making my own (I had never seen anyone else make merm/bunny food farms before and they are pretty dope - free carrots, meat, Frogs legs, fish, rot, bunny puffs and rotting fish - neither mob eat rot or meat). 

Building big decorative areas or shrines.

Hoarding stupid amounts of resources I'll likely never use. 

Fighting bosses in New creative ways or simply making my setups against them stronger and stronger over time. 40+ bunny hutches just ruin beequeen and 8 houndius plus 5 catapults with double bone armor and spicy volt jelly melts dfly with her rarely if ever even getting a chance to enrage. 

Literally simply living day to day in the constant off different food sources, in different outposts or on lunar or caves or grotto or oasis or whatever.

Terraforming areas and expanding my main base and outposts.

Filling scrapbook (finally finished if the other day), cookbook (did this ages ago), getting every fish in a tank, growing every large crop etc. 

Making all different sorts of different food farms or setups.

Spreading new flora or fauna across different biomes they don't naturally appear or live in (I made a giant nature reserve and completely terraformed the rockylands biome which is just empty after you clear it).

Blocking all Klaus spawns except two so I know where he'll be.

Making firefly highways across my roads.

Showing the world off and giving ideas to others when I make new friends. 

Lots of other stuff I can't recall right now.

Doing all the year of or special event content - theme park for cawnival, carrat racetrack, winters feast area (farming the boss decorations can be a timesink), kitcoon enclosure etc.

You gotta get real creative and I totally understand this not being fun for others but I enjoy it. Basically doing almost everything you can think of or see others doing as well.

I have never set up a varg farm and would like to one day. 

Archived