Crab King

14 minutes ago, MagicalStorm said:

or alternatively you make a chest filled with killer bees in a boat and let CK destroy it

He got unlucky on the loot box

This is why you don't play gacha games, they might cause a swarm of 180 bees to arrive in your mailbox.

If crab king dropped 40 rot that would be more useful to me than the garbage he currently drops, thats the biggest issue i have with CK. 

Passing up on the opportunity to implement an item that uses a gem socketing mechanic for different effects like CK himself is downright criminal. 

1 minute ago, goblinball said:

I wonder why ppl always complain about crab king’s lack of drops but never complain about shadow pieces’ lack of drops

Probably because (when using the funny Shadow Knight trick) it's the biggest source of Nightmare Fuel. I personally wouldn't mind them dropping an extra recipe.

15 minutes ago, goblinball said:

I wonder why ppl always complain about crab king’s lack of drops but never complain about shadow pieces’ lack of drops

Shadow pieces r like infinitely easier to kill than CK imo like theres no comparison. T3 shadow rook is basically a treeguard. 

also, a dark sword, night armor and nfuel are more useful by an insane margin than meat, shell bells and trident BP. 

And CK is lunar aligned so i personally have higher “expectations”/hope for his drops to be cool because lunar crafts are still so barebones compared to the plethora of shadow aligned crafts. 

Plus, shadow pieces lead to FW which has more drops than CC.

AND the shadow heart unlocks forest and cave stalkers. 

Shadow pieces have a genuine treasure trove of drops compared to CK. 

34 minutes ago, goblinball said:

I always do it with double shadow rook so frankly getting two shadow gear sets, bunch of fuel, and an item needed for the summoning of… even more lots (unlike CK it’s only once and imo people can be at least grateful of that lol) is treating me pretty good.

While I think CK is cool there’s a problem on how don’t get anything cool unless you really need to farm shells, which is unlikely even for that beach turf given how Pearl is spamming us already.

I just attempted this fight with sails+friend and it seems fair tbh. I'm assuming it would be easier with oars too.

The only bad thing I have to say about CK is the claws. I don't mind them holding boats in one place but THEY DESTROY STRUCTURES?

I don't see any reason to add this and it is so obnoxious and unforgiving (especially if affected by lag). In one of our attempts a claw spawned in the middle of our boat and broke all the structures.

At the very least the claws should attempt 1-2 swings at players if they are near before attaching to the ship and destroying all of your progress.

Edit: His healing is hell.

I think Crab King, conceptually, is a fine boss. A boss you can customize is really cool, the problem is that those changes are overtuned. I think if some of these changes could be tuned down from the offset, it would be a better boss. The only other thing is that his Hp Regen is way too difficult to negate alone. Even with perfect play, it's almost assured that a few are going to get through with how low the time is to cancel the heal. With Fuelweaver, the healing is comparable but the difference that the way to cancel is infinitely easier to get rid of with Weather Pains and the Brightshade Staff along with the fact that he stops fighting while prepare to heal. the difference is that you have to deal with the claws along with his healing, meaning it it's infinitely harder to stop compared to everyone else. You also can't delay the damage because the claws simply deal too much damage to keep the boat alive if you have two on you, much less 3 or 4. The way I'd mitigate this is to significantly reduce the damage the claws take if you give them bumpers. While this wouldn't mitigate the issue entirely, it would both reward the player for preparing before hand and also give a lot more breathing room to dealing with said claws.

12 hours ago, Frashaw27 said:

The only other thing is that his Hp Regen is way too difficult to negate alone.

In fact it's impossible to cancel the healing solo without using weather pains or followers. Crab king's healing cancellation very counterintuitively depends on the number of hits instead of a certain damage threshold. This is likely because klei stuck to the "this boss can not be fought alone" design from ANR raid bosses(yet people still fight it alone).

I wish they can stop being multiplayer centric and make the game a bit more solo player friendly. I know the main gimmick of DST is you can play with friends but playing with others is difficult: it's hard to find a time when you and your friends can play, and you'll have to play for a very very long time(it takes 2h just to go through autumn). Also, designing un-solo-able bosses has already been proven impossible: It's almost comedic how the devs intended those mobs to be "not solo-able", then some random player solo it as Wes on the first day of release.

The execution of crab king's power up mechanic is done horribly.

The gems buff crab king pretty intense, add some red gems and you have toadstool 2.0, add some blue gems and he can do the dumb perma freeze on you, and so on...

There's also zero reason why you should use any other gem combination other than full purples, because you can prevent the thing they buff.

Klei should tune down the buffs the gems give, maybe give extra special loots for doing certain gem combinations? And outright remove the healing mechanic, it's insanely punishing for solo player. I am fine with crab king being able to heal with multiple players around though.

I also find it incredibly hilarious a usually worthless weapon can easily crush the worst boss in the game.

Archived