The Don't Starve Mega Update is now live!

On 4/28/2023 at 1:38 AM, DiogoW said:

Some actions can now be repeated by holding down the mouse buttons.

What actions can be repeated like this? And how does it work, when I hold down the left mouse button, the character just keeps moving towards the position of the mouse

14 minutes ago, temjn983 said:

What actions can be repeated like this? And how does it work, when I hold down the left mouse button, the character just keeps moving towards the position of the mouse

Chop using axe, mine using pickaxe, "give" something to some mobs such as Pigman, craft something, dig using shovel, hammer using hammer, add fuel, etc.

• Thanks 1

very nice update.
It's easier to play with the addition of convenient DST functions such as placing items on hand and crafting from the contents of chests. thank you klei.
Also, if I had to say something, ingredients such as tomatoes and potatoes that still don't fit in pots grow from seeds. Best if these can be put in a pot.

Unlike DST, SW and HAM have their own world view and are very interesting.
I think it's a good difficulty level that will make people who are used to the world of ROG remember the thrill of playing for the first time.

I think that the number of users will increase if you continue to fix minor bugs.
I'm looking forward to it. thank you.

Is this update on GOG or just for Steam?

Also, was the bug that fire is overlayed over firepit fixed (like fire goes over the rock part of the firepit unlike in dst)

And if this is the final update that means no 64-bit ds? Very sad, no HD SW and Ham assets is very very sad :(

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 7:30 PM, oCrapaCreeper said:

Room variety seems uneven, maybe there's more that could be done

Alright, I've finished porting the DST cave layout to DS. Here's a couple screenshots of how it turned out, plus a screenshot of the actual DST caves (sans ruins) for comparison:

1413954325_Caves(Fixed).thumb.png.fe16312b339e5b2c912b9d8df591f063.png1762696323_Caves2(Fixed).thumb.png.d9826a2fee8a953725eb4e2a100fdb93.png414103324_Caves3(Fixed).thumb.png.c2ea4d38940d864d8aff5b041765c554.png1602919614_Caves(DST).thumb.png.bea8928c5e3c2cb15a8fa8fb88b4720c.png

What do you think? Would you be interested in getting this officially implemented? I'm gonna see if the devs will take a look at it. IDK, I think it's definitely an improvement over the messy version we currently have.

Worst case scenario, I could always upload it to Steam Workshop as a mod...

Edited by SpoonyBardIV
  • Like 2

Okay no i thought i had this resolved but Halmet world doesn't load 9 out of 10 times when i attempt to generate it as Large

Fix this please. This is apparently a very old bug.

Edited by ALCRD

On 4/27/2023 at 1:38 PM, DiogoW said:

Also, a new branch on steam has been created called pre2023update. This branch will not contain the content of this update, for people who liked the game the way it was.

Thank you.

• Health 1

13 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Okay no i thought i had this resolved but Halmet world doesn't load 9 out of 10 times when i attempt to generate it as Large

Fix this please. This is apparently a very old bug.

For as long as Hamlet has been around I don't think I've ever been able to successfully generate a large world in it. Not a huge deal because making Hamlet biomes larger sounds tedious, but it'd be cool to see.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper
  • Sad Dupe 1

1 hour ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

For as long as Hamlet has been around I don't think I've ever been able to successfully generate a large world in it. Not a huge deal because making Hamlet biomes larger sounds tedious, but it'd be cool to see.

Well i hate default or small sized biomes. Less resources , less creatuers , less building space , less to explore.

Anyways i further tested this and they do generate but after 15+ god damn minutes.

I clocked it.

Holy ******

Other dlcs with Large / Huge world settings take seconds to generate a world.

And then comes Hamlet and either hangs or takes over 15~ minutes and sometimes even 20~. 

Yea this should have been a PRIORITY FIX in this QoL / Bug fixing update.

Edited by ALCRD

16 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Well i hate default or small sized biomes. Less resources , less creatuers , less building space , less to explore.

I always found this to be a huge problem in Hamlet. If you’re interested, I made a mod that makes Hamlet worlds a lot bigger. Don’t actually set the world to “large”, I simply made the default size bigger to compensate for the long generation time issue.

18 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

I always found this to be a huge problem in Hamlet. If you’re interested, I made a mod that makes Hamlet worlds a lot bigger. Don’t actually set the world to “large”, I simply made the default size bigger to compensate for the long generation time issue.

Well but does it actually solve the 15-20 minutes generating of a Hamlet world? Or does it intensify the problem instead since you say it's "a lot bigger"

Edited by ALCRD

12 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

Well but does it actually solve the 15-20 minutes generating of a Hamlet world?

Pretty much, yes. It still takes a little bit longer (~1 minute or so) but it’s nowhere near what the “large” option takes.

7 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

Pretty much, yes. It still takes a little bit longer (~1 minute or so) but it’s nowhere near what the “large” option takes.

So it's much smaller than Large then?

Edited by ALCRD

20 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

So it's much smaller than Large then?

No, I think you misunderstood me. The world sizes are measured in tiles (default is 350, large is 450, etc.). For some reason, changing the size from “default” to “large” makes worlds generate slightly differently. Hamlet doesn’t like this, so it takes a long ass time to generate large Hamlet worlds. What I did, is change the “default” size to 450, so a default world is the same size as a large world, but still uses the default generation shape. This means that, with the above mod enabled, a default world will be as big as a large world, without the excessive load times.

54 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

No, I think you misunderstood me. The world sizes are measured in tiles (default is 350, large is 450, etc.). For some reason, changing the size from “default” to “large” makes worlds generate slightly differently. Hamlet doesn’t like this, so it takes a long ass time to generate large Hamlet worlds. What I did, is change the “default” size to 450, so a default world is the same size as a large world, but still uses the default generation shape. This means that, with the above mod enabled, a default world will be as big as a large world, without the excessive load times.

How does your mod affect instances like ruin dungeons in that dlc?

This sounds sketchy that your mod has same world size as Large but loads a lot faster.

13 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

How does your mod affect instances like ruin dungeons in that dlc?

It doesn’t. Pig Ruins are handled separately from regular worldgen, and there’s a pre-defined number of rooms that they can have. World size has no effect on this.

15 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

This sounds sketchy that your mod has same world size as Large but loads a lot faster.

Gimme one sec, I’ll upload some screenshots for comparison. It’s because the “large” preset handles worldgen a bit differently, regardless of the actual size. I could make large worlds smaller than default if I wanted, and they would still take a long time to generate.

Edited by SpoonyBardIV

I know some others have already asked in this thread, but there's no answer yet, is there any word on this update coming out to console? :)
Thanks for all your hard work and support Klei! Never thought I'd see an OG Don't Starve update in 2023, let alone one of this scale!

I've just bought DS Alone Pack Plus on GOG, but I'm reading about how the game is broken and that this new update fixes it. Do you know when the update will be available on GOG?

(EDIT: Just read the update and it promises a release on other platforms but Klei don't know when, so sorry if my question isn't answerable at the moment.)

Edited by andrewroche
Did the post before reading about the update properly ;)
  • Like 2

It is so nice AHHHHH!!!!! I have been play DS for 4 years, I really like SW I think Klei creative a wonderful world:wilson_love:I was thinking that it would be nice to be able to make four wooden floor out of one plank like DST

''We expect this to be the last major update for the original Don't Starve''.  It sounds scary. We still have extremely terrible things in RoG, Hamlet and Shipwrecked. The same watermelon hat does not cool the character as in DST. Another 10+ terrible items can be found.  Tar Lamp... And the rework of the guardian of the Ruins. He was pretty strong before the rework, but after his battle, just 50% of the boss's stanlock. Literally from the top 1-2 bosses in difficulty in RoG became almost the weakest. The boss's blocks when hitting a column or when attacking in a jump weaken him too much, they should be removed...

• Big Ups 1