Do you think klei should release the new update or keep working on and refining it in beta

Do you think klei should release the new update or keep working on and refining it in beta  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think klei should release the new update or keep working on and refining it in beta

• release it
    • keep working on it

I mean this update is gonna ruin alot of worlds with the rifts, i really wish klei thinks this over and don't release this. I find this update is on par with disease update where alot of players are just gonna switch it off on their world settings.

A solution I found on the forums was making the rifts only appear in meteorfield biome, I feel like that really makes the most sense.

1 minute ago, nimzowitsch10 said:

@yourAnty

even if the date is set in stone, i feel like some minor things can be changed before the update drops that will make it much better.

Like making the rifts spawn in the meteorfield biome.

I would rather a good update than an update that needs a bandaid fix because it was undercooked to begin with.

1 hour ago, nimzowitsch10 said:

A solution I found on the forums was making the rifts only appear in meteorfield biome, I feel like that really makes the most sense.

I don't like this idea at all, it sounds like a quick hasty fix over something thematically fitting.
I'd rather the content be made fun and enjoyable instead of throwing it all into the rubbish biome!

I have faith in Klei that future updates will make the pieces fall into play.

idk to me if they just scrapped this beta outright I wouldn't miss a thing.  While the staff is cool, its only really useful for a few things.  BS sword and armor are complete trash, as is the planar mechanic.  The plants could work with some changes, but I feel they are more of a chore then a feature.

Its going to come out though - nothing we say will change that.  I just hope Klei actually has a good plan in place b/c from what I'm seeing here... this is a horrible turn for the game to take.  A very thoughtless addition that doesn't jive well with the game as is, and sets a bad start to a new content arc.

4 hours ago, -Variant said:

I'd rather the content be made fun and enjoyable instead of throwing it all into the rubbish biome!

I'm with you 100%  I really hate how pirate raids were side-lined instead of remade to be actually good.  I love the idea of boating, when it first dropped it was one of my favorite things and drove me to play a LOT on pub servers which I normally don't do...  But every content patch added to it made it slowly worse until pirates - the absolute trash cherry on top - were added in.  I like the idea of the pirates, the execution was just absolutely horrid.  And rather than rework them, they just get quietly disabled...  I'm glad they're (mostly) gone - their current iteration is not something I want in the game - but I do want something...  Pirates are cool and there could be many fun interactions and challenges associated with them...

I know Klei just finished a years-long project of reworking every character, but I feel this is still the best route for them to go.  We don't actually need a ton of new tacked on content.  There is a LOT of room for growth in what DST already has, through smart reworks focused on engaging players in fun and skillful challenges.  RWYS showed that there is a lot to be gained from re-exploring existing stale mechanics.  Hounds, seasons, the entire ocean and 90% of the caves are all ripe for re-works, but here we are getting some half-as post-cc stuff...

46 minutes ago, nimzowitsch10 said:

@-Variant

meanwhile bases people spent hours working on are destroyed while klei "makes the pieces fall into play". What is so unthematic about making the rifts spawn at meteorfield?

Probably the fact that if they only spawn in one area people ALREADY avoid basing within that the content won’t pose any actual real new threat to You or Your Garden Plots & would be just like Lunar Island or Moon Quay Island??? Aka- Yet another Completely Optional Thing you can completely Avoid.. *Yawn*

Look I get it- I made a long post about how I Sympathize with Mega-Basers years of work potentially getting messed up.. So what needs to happen is Klei releases the update, but it’s only available to New Worlds Only, rather than trying to Retro-Fit it at all.. 

8 hours ago, nimzowitsch10 said:

@-Variant

meanwhile bases people spent hours working on are destroyed while klei "makes the pieces fall into play". What is so unthematic about making the rifts spawn at meteorfield?

This feels a bit hostile. This isn't what I am getting at, at all.

You can make them invasive and fun at the same time, they're not mutually exclusive...
Shoving them into one biome REMOVES the entire point of them 'spewing all over the Constant'. It's not so much random spewing if it only happens in one controlled, easily avoidable biome.

I really don't like the recent desructive threats.

Lightning and hounds while can be destructive, people leave them on because they can be either prevented, or having numerous ways to deal with the hounds, not to mention you get half a min to prepare for the hounds, and you can be assured that the hounds won't come to you for a good chunk of days after the last attack.

Pirate raids are not good at all, you are confined to a small space, monkies are unkitable, steal your stuffs and destroy masts. They also gives you literally no time to be prepared for the attack. If you are unlucky 2 raids may happen in a short time, and if you haven't removed the trinkets, you become a gross monkey. 

Same for these rifts, they just spawn wherever they want and your control ovwr their spawning is deceptively low. Any builds that have a large amount of plant decors are gonna suffer greatly because screw you. And you can do nothing to stop the rift as it keeps wrecking havoc on the base.

I like the idea of more threats, but please, make it so they can be preventable, or being able to stop with effective methods.

I mean I don’t think it’s as simple as voting to keep working on something.. they likely had to have builds of this update pushed out to publishers (Sony, Microsoft, maybe even Nintendo) to get the patches approved in time to met the date they set for it.

I get it that some of you aren’t happy with the current state of what’s about to be released, but it isn’t like Klei can just call up Sony/MS and be like yo you know what that update we sent in for approval a few weeks ago? Yeah Nevermind we’re gonna keep building on it cause our forum community voted that’s what we should do.

2 hours ago, -Variant said:

You can make them invasive and fun at the same time, they're not mutually exclusive...
Shoving them into one biome REMOVES the entire point of them 'spewing all over the Constant'. It's not so much random spewing if it only happens in one controlled, easily avoidable biome.

Exactly!  @Spino43 gives a great contrast of why hound attacks aren't bad, even though they can be very hazardous and destructive, but monkey raids are bad because there just isn't the interaction, prep time, and reasonable response options available.

I think better non-destructive options can be created where we don't have to care if a portal opens up in the middle of our base.  Then we can let this thing be more wild and chaotic without just destroying hours and hours of a player's passion and creativity.

2 hours ago, Spino43 said:

I really don't like the recent desructive threats.

Lightning and hounds while can be destructive, people leave them on because they can be either prevented, or having numerous ways to deal with the hounds, not to mention you get half a min to prepare for the hounds, and you can be assured that the hounds won't come to you for a good chunk of days after the last attack.

Pirate raids are not good at all, you are confined to a small space, monkies are unkitable, steal your stuffs and destroy masts. They also gives you literally no time to be prepared for the attack. If you are unlucky 2 raids may happen in a short time, and if you haven't removed the trinkets, you become a gross monkey. 

Same for these rifts, they just spawn wherever they want and your control ovwr their spawning is deceptively low. Any builds that have a large amount of plant decors are gonna suffer greatly because screw you. And you can do nothing to stop the rift as it keeps wrecking havoc on the base.

I like the idea of more threats, but please, make it so they can be preventable, or being able to stop with effective methods.

I think Klei perhaps doesn't realize how bad such a binary interaction feels, and how putting the solution AFTER the problem makes the experience feel more like you're cheated then that you're challenged.

For example - monkey raids - they are designed to be repelled using a cannon, but you only get the cannon blueprint AFTER reaching the monkey island and trading bananas.  Similarly you only get the BS gear AFTER you get infested with the BS plants.  You CAN fight off the monkeys and BS plants but you are significantly hamstrung in that you have a swarm of monkeys on a very small boat, unable to kite, constantly stunlocked and for BS plants your armor is 100% negated which is very dramatic considering the level of armor protection in this game.  Having a log suit or football helmet ignored is effectively a 5x damage multiplier for the enemy, ignoring a dark suit or marble suit is effectively a 20x!!!! damage multiplier.  Its just unfair to blindside a player out of nowhere with that level of damage when they've prepared with as much as the game will let them.

They really need to work on giving us ways to access the solutions in advance so we can properly prepare for these things, and ensure they are interactable.  If monkey raids allowed you to more reliably bribe them off, a way to gain allyship from raids on first contact, or had a better combat pattern then 6 monkeys jumping you at once (yeah they deal little damage, but stunlock is real in this game and tanking and holding F is the least enjoyable interaction possible) the raids could be a whole lot better.  Similarly as some have suggested - if we received a small amount of BS materials from defeating CC or maybe post-CC we get new meteors that land and bring us these materials we could at least get ahead of the problem.

Its like - DST is all about being prepared, and knowing what you need to get to handle a situation before you get there - yet these ones they basically force you to be unprepared.  Its one thing for me to forget to make a torch before night when I'm a new player, its another to force me to not be able to make a torch until Charlie smacks me...

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Probably the fact that if they only spawn in one area people ALREADY avoid basing within that the content won’t pose any actual real new threat to You or Your Garden Plots & would be just like Lunar Island or Moon Quay Island??? Aka- Yet another Completely Optional Thing you can completely Avoid.. *Yawn*

Look I get it- I made a long post about how I Sympathize with Mega-Basers years of work potentially getting messed up.. So what needs to happen is Klei releases the update, but it’s only available to New Worlds Only, rather than trying to Retro-Fit it at all.. 

This is probably the worst solution to this problem but okay.

How Moon Quay was handled honestly felt like a gut punch because the feedback they got on it mostly just lead to the mechanic being hidden instead of fixed

1 hour ago, Spino43 said:

you are confined to a small space, monkies are unkitable

This was the problem that desperately needed fixed though I never did figure out a solution.

1 hour ago, Spino43 said:

steal your stuffs and destroy masts.

While this part was completely fine if implemented better. Them stealing your stuff on attack was fine and more good to stay and them destroying your mast to prevent you pursuing them when they try to escape was also fine but here's where things should have changed:

1. Their boats should never have been as fast or faster than ours making fleeing a good option if we felt we had no chance of success and were confident in our boating skills.

2. The act of them destroying masts should have been inefficient by that I mean they should have had a massive windup to destroy your sail and should have been very interruptible when doing so making it actually your own fault when they managed to destroy a mast.

3. Giving them a banana, failing a raid, and successfully killing a raid should have placed a cooldown on their spawn with failing being the shortest, followed by giving a banana then finally the longest being actually killing them all. Also in the event of bribing them with a banana stolen loot in the current raid should have been dropped as should their attempts to destroy things on your boat.6.

4. There should have been additional outposts throughout the sea where you could trade bananas to get rid of cursed trinkets as well as more locations at sea where bananas spawned from even if only moon quay gave access to relocatable ones.

5. Cursed trinkets should never have had a 100% drop rate and should have been closer to 30-50% potentially even lower.

6. The pirates should have been afraid of ocean boss monsters fleeing at the sight of them.

7. The pirate raids should have been expanded to cover the entire ocean.

Just now, yourAnty said:

The monkeys should have also been kiteable and fight you one on one instead of stunlocking you and forcing you to face tank.

Makes sense ideally they would send a amount equal to players on the ship at a time till they're all dead would be a good idea.

Exactly - and that's why I'm really frustrated with the BS stuff we're getting now.  To me its very much like pirate raids - an honestly cool idea that is just implemented in way that is punishing, but not challenging.  To be challenged you need to have options, skillful responses, etc to be punished is having things forced on you without a chance to act.

This is the problem with what Mike says about what they consider "challenging."  Building your base in a meteor field isn't challenging, its punishing.  Your base structures will be destroyed resetting your progress and there is nothing you can do about it.  You can dodge meteors as a player, fighting and working in an active meteor shower is challenging - but your base structures just get flattened, which is totally different.

The BS plants aren't a bad idea, but they need changes.  I would really hate to see these sidelined like the pirate raids, but if Klei keeps insisting on pushing this content out, never admitting it was a mistake and re-working it, then they're going to have to bury it to keep people playing which essentially means we just didn't get content...

Mike likes to say ppl can just turn off things but lets be real - any content that is turned off by a large portion of players is an indicator that the game is actually just better without that content.  If the solution for many players is to turn off the BS stuff, then its a failure as a feature added to the game.

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

How Moon Quay was handled honestly felt like a gut punch because the feedback they got on it mostly just lead to the mechanic being hidden instead of fixed

This was the problem that desperately needed fixed though I never did figure out a solution.

While this part was completely fine if implemented better. Them stealing your stuff on attack was fine and more good to stay and them destroying your mast to prevent you pursuing them when they try to escape was also fine but here's where things should have changed:

1. Their boats should never have been as fast or faster than ours making fleeing a good option if we felt we had no chance of success and were confident in our boating skills.

2. The act of them destroying masts should have been inefficient by that I mean they should have had a massive windup to destroy your sail and should have been very interruptible when doing so making it actually your own fault when they managed to destroy a mast.

3. Giving them a banana, failing a raid, and successfully killing a raid should have placed a cooldown on their spawn with failing being the shortest, followed by giving a banana then finally the longest being actually killing them all. Also in the event of bribing them with a banana stolen loot in the current raid should have been dropped as should their attempts to destroy things on your boat.6.

4. There should have been additional outposts throughout the sea where you could trade bananas to get rid of cursed trinkets as well as more locations at sea where bananas spawned from even if only moon quay gave access to relocatable ones.

5. Cursed trinkets should never have had a 100% drop rate and should have been closer to 30-50% potentially even lower.

6. The pirates should have been afraid of ocean boss monsters fleeing at the sight of them.

7. The pirate raids should have been expanded to cover the entire ocean.

I don’t see the point in this raids until the sea is rewarding. This way you just punish already unrewarding experience ( boating )

The biggest problem with the pirate raids (apart from... y'know... everything) is the fact that you are punished for WINNING the fight. To me that still remains one of the most baffling decisions ever. The way the Accursed Trinkets were implemented are easily the most user-hostile addition to this game ever.

And all that is to say that this update has almost been as bad, for many similar reasons. You're punished for unlocking the content by it not having an "off" switch.

...Outside of the world settings, of course.

As these posts clearly point: people will have vastly varying opinions of what they find challenging or what they find to be actually fun. Its like going to Subway and ordering a Foot-Long, your Sub may be entirely different from Mine and that’s Okay, but that’s just the thing.. and it’s what I’ve been fighting for since the very day I joined these forums, We should each be entitled to how we choose to flavor our Sub, and with as many world settings and changes you can apply to DST, the game should be more than capable of accommodating for that.

And I know people get tired of me bring up world settings saying “That’s not an answer” but it actually IS..

Those settings should be like deciding how you want your Sub made, maybe some people prefer the exact same sandwich, maybe some prefer one with slight ingredient differences, maybe some want an entirely different type of sandwich altogether.. the point is-

Klei has a game that’s Capable of doing it. These settings are no where near as in depth as I’d like for them to be, but they are a Foundation Nontheless.. 

Some people hate pirate raids altogether and want them turned off.

Some people enjoy the concept, but hate the actual way you interact with it/it interacts with You.

Klei’s largest issue right now is trying to decide what a standard “default” Sub should be… but let’s be realistic here-

Absolutely NO ONE Goes to Subway to NOT pick the ingredients used in their Sub.. so it’s ridiculous to think for one second that Klei is going to be able to get all of their players to agree on what “Default” should even Be…

And they need to instead just focus on offering the largest variety of ingredients we can have to pick out what satisfies our tastebuds.

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

And I know people get tired of me bring up world settings saying “That’s not an answer” but it actually IS..

No it isn't.  A good feature for the game is not one everyone should be expecting to turn off.

There are plenty of good suggestions, and many unknown ways of making this both challenging without being a punishment for defeating the main quest line or force-destroying people's bases.

Mind you this is POST-cc content.  By that time, even without mega-basing you'll have a lot built up and it would be pretty troll if a player joined in and starting burning your base down, that is essentially what this update is except the troll is Klei.

On 4/22/2023 at 6:58 AM, Mike23Ua said:

So mega basers just don't get new content at all? That isn't a solution.

Archived