Do you think klei should release the new update or keep working on and refining it in beta

Do you think klei should release the new update or keep working on and refining it in beta  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think klei should release the new update or keep working on and refining it in beta

• release it
    • keep working on it

5 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

So mega basers just don't get new content at all? That isn't a solution.

No- Mega Basers can keep their Megabase worlds intact while NEWLY created worlds can get bold new features such as these new “Wild” Rifts.

Wild means spawning anywhere randomly and not into just the meteor Biome, or being something you can resell with plant repellents.

I mean imagine if Klei releases a new update that adds earthquakes that break apart the main land spreading them across the ocean- this is a massive highly destructive mechanic that should it just NOT exist because players have these massive built up bases??

Kleis REAL problem what they’re running into right now is that instead of just releasing a DONT STARVE 2 with all these features already a core part of the game the day you purchase it, they are instead updating a pre-existing product as they go along.

With mixed reception from their fanbase, Sure Minecraft done the same thing but let’s go old school- I used to build massive one block towers all the way up into the sky to survive nightfalls in Minecraft, then they randomly get the idea to add some annoying bats to swoop downward and knock you off that block.

Over the years since it’s 2011 release Minecraft has had new mobs added that challenge or even straight up cancels some of the players hardwork- I once built an Underwater igloo on that game made of glass blocks, which worked pretty well until they updated the game and added some swimming zombies and ocean mobs that steal the blocks out of the roof of my house pouring water into it and drowning me.

I actually STOPPED playing Minecraft when they added skeletons on horseback with arrows that randomly spawn during lightning strikes..

But my point is like Minecraft- DST is an ever evolving game getting frequent updates, so like Minecraft: It’s a Product that’s subject to change over time.

We can’t expect Klei to hold back new content ideas to accommodate for old playstyles- Same as Minecraft 2011 vs Minecraft 2023..

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I actually STOPPED playing Minecraft when they added skeletons on horseback with arrows that randomly spawn during lightning strikes..

These portals that absolutely punish the hell out of megabases could be a similar situation for many DST players if we aren't given new options to deal with them.

So Minecraft implemented something that invalidated your play style or stopped you having fun anymore or made things unfairly hard or something along those lines and you stopped playing... but you can't see how this is the exact same thing for a LOT of players with these portals? They are literally a roadblock/massive issue to many players way of playing and enjoying this game. 

6 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

These portals that absolutely punish the hell out of megabases could be a similar situation for many DST players if we aren't given new options to deal with them.

So Minecraft implemented something that invalidated your play style or stopped you having fun anymore or made things unfairly hard or something along those lines and you stopped playing... but you can't see how this is the exact same thing for a LOT of players with these portals? They are literally a roadblock/massive issue to many players way of playing and enjoying this game. 

The difference is that unlike Minecraft- most (if not everything..) Klei adds to DST can be turned On or Off, Minecraft on the other hand… it’s just there and your forced to forever deal with it or stop playing.

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

We can’t expect Klei to hold back new content ideas to accommodate for old playstyles- Same as Minecraft 2011 vs Minecraft 2023..

I mean it's tricky. If your changing a fundamental element of your game that a very large section of your players enjoy it's going to have serious effects and your probably going to lose players. 

At that point why not make a new game?honestly one of the only things we probably do agree on is yeah don't starve 3 actually would be great and they can lay a new foundation and make mega bases less of a thing if that's the direction they want to take. They can do whatever. Dont change fundamental aspects of DST to the point where the most common playstyles are slowly being invalidated though.

Also "mega basing" is not an old play style it's literally the only thing left and the main focus once you've done everything else. It's not niche or an alternative or old way to play the game it's what basically everyone who doesn't just regularly start new worlds does.. 

40 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

No- Mega Basers can keep their Megabase worlds intact while NEWLY created worlds can get bold new features such as these new “Wild” Rifts.

I feel there is a lot you don't know about megabasers, or DST end game.  Megabasers make new worlds too...  Plus - as I've stated - even if you aren't megabasing, by the time you defeat CC you've already built things up.

Believe this - megabasing is the natural end to any sandbox game that lets you build things.  You either restart the game, or you end up building a lot b/c once you've completed all of the content there isn't anything else really to do.  Even when they add more content, it just gets completed and we're in the same situation again.  Restart, or keep building cool things.  Megabasing is NOT a few people's exclusive playstyle.  Megabasers do it ALL, probably far better at the game, and enjoy the challenge more than you or I.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Kleis REAL problem what they’re running into right now is that instead of just releasing a DONT STARVE 2 with all these features already a core part of the game the day you purchase it, they are instead updating a pre-existing product as they go along.

I don't see this happening, Next game that continues DS Franchise needs: New engine, New servers (for accounts and skins), new mechanics to make it feel refreshing and original; and all of that means years and a lot of resources, stuff that Klei doesn't have right now.

The next part is Offtopic:

With mixed reception from their fanbase, Sure Minecraft done the same thing but let’s go old school- I used to build massive one block towers all the way up into the sky to survive nightfalls in Minecraft, then they randomly get the idea to add some annoying bats to swoop downward and knock you off that block.

You can avoid those by just using a bed, not even sleeping (they show up in 3 days of no "sleeping") or you can do the old way of making a 1x2 hole underground to survive the night.

Over the years since it’s 2011 release Minecraft has had new mobs added that challenge or even straight up cancels some of the players hardwork- I once built an Underwater igloo on that game made of glass blocks, which worked pretty well until they updated the game and added some swimming zombies and ocean mobs that steal the blocks out of the roof of my house pouring water into it and drowning me.

Drowned mob is a fair complain in your case, but the "Ocean mobs that steal the blocks"... are you sure that wasn't a mod? (because that doesn't exist)

May I ask why?, Im curious, I mean they only spawn in thunderstorms with a very low chance, and they aren't so difficult to kill, I'd say less difficult than one enderman.

Offtopic ends.

Now speaking about the topic of this post, I think they should've added more content because some people feel like it wasn't enough content to justify all the changes and because we don't know the plans of the developers (and I don't blame them, I mean I also expected the roadmap to give actual information about what to expect this year)

I also think that this whole "survivors vs megabasers" is a complete nosense, it just divides the community and it isn't helpful feedback. This can be "easily" solved by adding multiple ways to control/close the rifts so people that wants a structure can have it, people that thinks it would look ugly can use another method and people that want chaos can just not do any of those without changing world settings.

On 4/22/2023 at 8:28 PM, goatt said:

I think this update is only half-finished product in its current state.

It's halfway of a real milestone.

It's just incomplete.

I don't know... People said that with turn of tides as well, and the lunar island is pretty much exactly the same as when it was first implemented, so i don't think i trust Klei with "it's only the setup phase" anymore. 

I know the forums in general tend to be salty and negative, but for once i think we're getting an opportunity to speak out against a common pattern. IMHO the Wilson rework beta was rushed out of beta for the sake of delivering content, and this one seems to be headed the same way.

I'd rather wait 3-4 months for content to pop up if it meant getting content that felt complete and fulfilling on its own right, like the grotto update.

Since that update added a cool self contained biome, with lots of uses (living logs, light bugs and the molebat hat/ the anti sleep shrooms) while also adding the archives that, while admittedly not as fleshed out, were still a cool addition that showed a glimpse of what was to come. I feel like this only worked however because at least one part of it felt fleshed out.

I feel like an update that added either the werepig along with this, or at least half of the side of either the lunar faction or the shadow faction would do a better job at giving context and also feel more engaging and fulfilling than leaving half baked sniplets all around.

52 minutes ago, JosePapp said:

I don't know... People said that with turn of tides as well, and the lunar island is pretty much exactly the same as when it was first implemented, so i don't think i trust Klei with "it's only the setup phase" anymore. 

Idk if this is the most accurate comparison. Idk about you but I think a tiny structure that spawns post CC is infinitely smaller and requires infinitely less content than the entire ocean AND the lunar island

1 hour ago, goblinball said:

Idk if this is the most accurate comparison. Idk about you but I think a tiny structure that spawns post CC is infinitely smaller and requires infinitely less content than the entire ocean AND the lunar island

Yet somehow it still feels lacking. There's much more potential in the rifts, and we don't know if more things will be added to them or not once the shadow equivelant rolls out.

7 hours ago, goblinball said:

The point i was trying to make is that back when that update came out everyone was cool with it because it was a bold new direction and assumed the game would expand on everything added. And while you could argue the ocean was indeed expanded upon over time, the moon remained virtually the same save for really minor changes that were indirectly added to the lunar tier.

Why does it matter now? Because it looks like another potential situation to leave loose ends that one would assume they'd come back to, but which they probably won't to. Leaving the game bloated with loosely connected content that isn't very fulfilling.

On 4/23/2023 at 12:50 AM, Mike23Ua said:

Wild means spawning anywhere randomly and not into just the meteor Biome, or being something you can resell with plant repellents.

I mean imagine if Klei releases a new update that adds earthquakes that break apart the main land spreading them across the ocean- this is a massive highly destructive mechanic that should it just NOT exist because players have these massive built up bases??

But my point is like Minecraft- DST is an ever evolving game getting frequent updates, so like Minecraft: It’s a Product that’s subject to change over time.

I hear the point you’re making and it’s absolutely a valid one, what I can’t understand is why people have this idea that it can only be one or the other? The simplest solution to me that would satisfy both parties is to by default keep the spawn tendencies of the rifts as they are currently in tact, but add in an option in server settings to contain the rifts within a specific biome or some type of mechanic like that, this way people can still enjoy the content but not put weeks/months worth of work at risk to do so.

14 hours ago, abrocator said:

The new content is meh. I’m more worried about the precedent that “planar” will set.

So prefer to wait.

Based

7 hours ago, goblinball said:

Infinitely is a bit of an exaggeration lol but ignoring that bit;

Yeah this update is pretty small overall for sure, the big concern to me is that it supposedly is meant to set up the rest of the content that is to follow, but they give us absolutely no information about any intentions behind this small bit of content we have, they give us no ideas as to what to expect in the future from this new arc, all we really get is an unfinished skeleton of what’s to come and the big kicker is that the unfinished skeleton we do get to see is… questionable. They introduce a new system (planar damage/defense) that’s pretty universally regarded as overly complicated at best and downright bad at worst. We get what appeared at first to be a new endgame tier of gear but then under inspection you come to realize that the new gear is…. Slightly better than average in specific niche scenarios but for the most part is not really any different than things we already have. Also not what many were expecting..

And to top all of that off, it introduces a destructive new mechanic that long term players (who have months worth of work on their servers and are just as entitled to want new content that will satisfy them and their playstyle) could never have seen coming and were not able to design their bases around who are basically told by this update that you can either risk losing much of what you’ve worked for, or enjoy the new content. Your only option beyond that is to completely restart progress in order to enjoy the new content without threatening all of your hard work. That feels really bad to those players, and is valid.

It shouldn’t be any surprise that this update comes with much controversy for a variety of reasons. They’ve managed to confuse and upset all different types of players with a single small update. 

If they do have something up their sleeve that will satisfy all of these concerns and they just aren’t ready to reveal it yet, perhaps it would have been better for them to keep this one in the works longer so that when they introduce all of this new content, the fans are better able to get a full idea of what is going on and what the future of the game looks like so they can take that into consideration whilst making their judgements.

In short, the controversy surrounding this update should have been expected, the writing was on the wall from the beginning.

1 hour ago, JosePapp said:

The point i was trying to make is that back when that update came out everyone was cool with it because it was a bold new direction and assumed the game would expand on everything added. And while you could argue the ocean was indeed expanded upon over time, the moon remained virtually the same save for really minor changes that were indirectly added to the lunar tier.

Why does it matter now? Because it looks like another potential situation to leave loose ends that one would assume they'd come back to, but which they probably won't to. Leaving the game bloated with loosely connected content that isn't very fulfilling.

You’re absolutely correct in your observation here. Reception to the moon and ocean content was completely different than this update, but your reasoning for the reception is completely off. 

The ocean content and the lunar island itself did literally nothing but add more to the game. There was nothing at all in those updates that fundamentally changed important core mechanics. There was nothing at all in those updates that players were required to interact with. There was nothing at all in those updates that were destructive to your current world. There was absolutely no reason for anyone to be upset because the content was added in a way that basically just made your world bigger and gave you more things to do. It helped the game feel bigger, fuller, more fleshed out, and most importantly if it was content you didn’t really care about or weren’t interested in then you could just ignore it and continue the game as usual. If you did like the content you could explore it and participate in it and reap cool new unique rewards for doing so. There was nothing for anyone to be upset about.

This update is entirely different. It adds a new destructive mechanic that can feel very bad to those with many hundreds of hours in their worlds that you are currently forced into participating in if you wish to enjoy this content and presumably future content. And that’s without even going into the other controversial aspects of the update. And you imply that people are hypocritical for being upset with one and not the other? To me it makes perfect sense.

3 hours ago, Vinja said:

On the contrary, I'm not advocating for these mechanics in their current implementation, I'm just saying i don't buy the usually parroted "this is just a setting the stage update" anymore because we've had nothing but setting the stage updates that very loosely connect to each other for years now when it comes to lunar content. 

I just find it hard to get excited for new stuff with new ends when we have so much untapped potential in the old new stuff. Especially since when given the opportunity to tie it together more seamlessly by making the rifts mutate rather than destroy and allowing things like mutant birds spawning on the lunar island, they just... Don't.

I don't care much about the rifts when things like enlightenment has been in the game for over three years and it still only has one actual brightmare creature with limited interaction while also using insanity sfx for whenever you achieve it rather than have it's own jingle.

How can i trust that this update string will actually deliver connected fulfilling content when this has consistently not been the case?

1 hour ago, JosePapp said:

On the contrary, I'm not advocating for these mechanics in their current implementation, I'm just saying i don't buy the usually parroted "this is just a setting the stage update" anymore because we've had nothing but setting the stage updates that very loosely connect to each other for years now when it comes to lunar content. 

I just find it hard to get excited for new stuff with new ends when we have so much untapped potential in the old new stuff. Especially since when given the opportunity to tie it together more seamlessly by making the rifts mutate rather than destroy and allowing things like mutant birds spawning on the lunar island, they just... Don't.

I don't care much about the rifts when things like enlightenment has been in the game for over three years and it still only has one actual brightmare creature with limited interaction while also using insanity sfx for whenever you achieve it rather than have it's own jingle.

How can i trust that this update string will actually deliver connected fulfilling content when this has consistently not been the case?

Oh definitely. The “setting the stage” nonsense is an excuse to push out unfinished content and a shield used by some here and even Klei themselves to deflect criticism. It’s a variation of this idea of “early access” games that’s blown up in the last half decade or so. I’m so tired of people using it as an excuse, Klei included.

I’d love it if they went back and touched up some of the past content. The ocean is still so horribly neglected it’s embarrassing. It’s so big and just full of regurgitated nothingness for about 80-90% of it. I know it’s kinda trendy here to say “ocean bad” but genuinely, something needs to be done.

I personally don’t trust that this arc will be good on its own or that it will satisfy the new content itch I’ve been having for a while, especially if Klei continues to push unfinished content drops and ignore player feedback about the most important and fundamentally game changing aspects of the new arc which is why I’ve been so vocal and at times harsh about the new system and mechanics. Anyway, not really much I can do individually but if many people continue to speak out they’ll eventually hear us.

And I don’t mean to say that I have no faith in Klei at all, I would say generally they do well with the new content I just don’t like the pattern I’ve noticed of them leaving content behind before reaching a state of feeling completed. Ocean being a big one. Lunar could do with some new interactions with the new content, perhaps something like what you mentioned with the rifts. Moon Quay could benefit with a bit of a revisit particularly with the pirate raids in my opinion. What the hell even is going on with the stage in the game? It feels like it should be an event spawn or something, like it doesn’t belong in the default settings constantly active. I’m sure there’s more I can’t think of off the top of my head as well.

Archived