Portals negatively affect Megabase experience

The portals as implemented negatively affect the megabase experience. The key issue is that there's no way to influence where the portal spawns, and the turf destroys nonrenewable resources. This mechanic as implemented is great for survival modes, but it really sucks for megabase players.

It seems like both camps of players could be satisfied by introducing a "lunar energy focus" or something to that effect which would control where the portal spawns. Even if it's expensive and needs to be a regular chore like deerclops, at least this way the players would have agency to not have their hard work destroyed. Ingredients could include crown shards, materials from the portals, whatever. Let it be destroyed when the portal spawns. Just please give us some agency here. Not really looking forward to playing this patch otherwise.

I think the lunar spillage idea that others had (plants being temporarily converted to lunar counterpart) would be a better alternative. This would solve the non-renewable-resources-being-destroyed problem. Being able to keep the portal in one location would get rid of it's chaotic nature, while the lunar spillage would build on it and make it visually appealing in the process.

19 minutes ago, Sir Donut said:

I think the lunar spillage idea that others had (plants being temporarily converted to lunar counterpart) would be a better alternative. This would solve the non-renewable-resources-being-destroyed problem. Being able to keep the portal in one location would get rid of it's chaotic nature, while the lunar spillage would build on it and make it visually appealing in the process.

Ah I hadn't heard of that but sounds possibly good. The main issue is destroying stuff like rocks, world statues, spiky trees, etc., so as long as the non-plant stuff is also safe then that's great.

1 hour ago, chaosmonkey said:

The key issue is that there's no way to influence where the portal spawns, and the turf destroys nonrenewable resources.

You actually can manipulate where the portal spawns, somewhat. Portals do not spawn within 5 turf (or 20 wall) units of a player built structure. This means you can use various structures to avoid them spawning nearby structures threatened by the rifts. In particular, signs are the cheapest and easiest to expend, given you get the board back when you smash them.

Of course, the obvious downside is you need to have prepared these in advance. Most structures also show up on the kap, which is unpleasant (IIRC I think the only one that doesn’t is mushlights). I definitely would like to see another way to deal with those (also the brightshades, but that’s a topic for a different post)

33 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

You actually can manipulate where the portal spawns, somewhat. Portals do not spawn within 5 turf (or 20 wall) units of a player built structure. This means you can use various structures to avoid them spawning nearby structures threatened by the rifts. In particular, signs are the cheapest and easiest to expend, given you get the board back when you smash them.

Of course, the obvious downside is you need to have prepared these in advance. Most structures also show up on the kap, which is unpleasant (IIRC I think the only one that doesn’t is mushlights). I definitely would like to see another way to deal with those (also the brightshades, but that’s a topic for a different post)

5 tiles doesn't really solve the problem though. it's like needing a second type of lightning rod with a tiny range. Some builds you end up with lots of area without a structure. Part of the problem is that the portals destroy non renewable resources in places you haven't built yet. Should we be expected to pepper the whole world in signs?

13 minutes ago, chaosmonkey said:

5 tiles doesn't really solve the problem though. it's like needing a second type of lightning rod with a tiny range. Some builds you end up with lots of area without a structure. Part of the problem is that the portals destroy non renewable resources in places you haven't built yet. Should we be expected to pepper the whole world in signs?

Yeahhh, that’s the main issue. It does work, but I can’t really say much else about it. It’s not exactly a good solution, especially if you didn’t realize something valuable in advance…

Don’t starve and Don’t Starve together where never really games about building a Mega-Base though.. people just defaulted to that after they mastered everything else, and when every twitch stream and YouTube video became about a Megabase, players assumed that was what DSTs end game was meant to look like.

However- Over the years Klei has been adding features that change that, there’s even now an option in the world settings menu so that if the player chooses they can toggle it so that when they die- There world gets destroyed instantly, rather than having a countdown timer to find a way to Respawn (or roll the world back)

This is a feature from CLASSIC Single Player Don’t Starve.

You can also opt to toggle Wildfires to happen more frequently if your weird like me and desire more chaos.

Having a way to force portals to spawn where I want them to is boring… it’s like introducing a problem and then immediately adding the solution.

However, most Mega-Base players already toggle off the most destructive features such as Wildfires or Meteor Showers, so just switch the Rifts off as Well?

Klei has sacrificed new survival based content over satisfying Megabase enjoyers for far too long now..

And I think that with things like world Gen settings they should be able to satisfy BOTH types of players.

For example- Moon Quay Pirate Raids, they added a toggle for those to be turned on/off/ or happen more/less but it’s not ENOUGH, the way they spawn and how they’re interacted with should also change from these toggles.

Less = what we have now where encountering them at all is like searching for a needle in a Haystack.

More= What we USED to have where we could encounter them like hound waves anywhere out at sea.

Klei was able to change the behavior of Shadow Creatures when set to “Tons” so it’s not like they haven’t messed around with the thought of letting these toggles alter more than just how much of something spawns.

I believe that’s the ONLY way Klei is going to satisfy both Mega-Basers (whom the game was never designed or structured to accommodate for but just sort of slipped into..) and Survivalists (Who have waited entirely too long for new survival based challenges) 

I can’t speak for everyone, but in my opinion If Klei was to introduce something like a Turf I could craft and place to scare the new plant mobs from crossing, it would defeat the entire point of a survival based challenge.

Klei really needs to give world Gen settings there time in the spot light, for example Wavey Jones-

When it first released Wavey Was brutal & Highly destructive. Players complained (& maybe rightfully so??) and Wavey was Nerfed to be less destructive.

My question is WHY though? Why Nerf Wavey at all when you could’ve made it so toggling it On/Off, More/Less wouldve also changed its behavior we could’ve kept the original more brutal Wavey as an Option, and still had the drastically Nerfed version.

These new portal rifts could be treated the same way.. on/off, more/less, Random.

15 minutes ago, chaosmonkey said:

I'm pretty sure megabasers don't want to play in a world where all the content is turned off; that's not a solution.

You either only read what you wanted to read from my post, or you didn’t understand it.

Either Way- I stated that when set to “Tons” Shadow Monsters behavior will change, they spawn more often, hit a bit harder and move slightly faster (or so the patch notes said..)

Looking back at previous Survival Themed Updates: Wavey Jones Released Brutal & Uncompromising, players whined it was too hard, received heavy nerfs.

Curse of Moon Quay: Released Brutal & Uncompromising, players whined, received heavy nerfs.

My question is a SIMPLE ONE- If Klei can update the behavior of Shadow Monsters toggled to “Tons” why couldn’t they have kept the highly Nerfed versions of Wavey/Monkey Raids for the “Less” toggle, while keeping the more aggressive versions for the “More” Toggle?

Thats it.. that’s the entire question.

Rifts toggled to Default or “Less” would = Less Destructive, easily preventable. rifts set to “More” would be more chaotic, destructive and unpreventable.

Mega Basers shut up, Survival players shut up- Everyone’s satisfied and happy. The End.

2 hours ago, chaosmonkey said:

I'm pretty sure megabasers don't want to play in a world where all the content is turned off; that's not a solution.

They wouldn't really have to turn all content just more destructive content like many already do with wildfires I don't really see the issue with designing more destructive content so long as it comes with toggles to opt out of it. I've never really understood the argument that people shouldn't have to turn off content that's inconvenient to mega basers it just puts a limit on what people who are here for the survival aspect are allowed to experience.  

Edit: That being said I'm not for it destroying non renewables but I also don't want the portal to not spawn on base as that breaks the emersion for me.

46 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I've never really understood the argument that people shouldn't have to turn off content that's inconvenient to mega basers it just puts a limit on what people who are here for the survival aspect are allowed to experience.

Its about what the vanilla experience is about. 

I do play the game for survival first and then megabasing second.

In my view, once you've defeated every boss in the game at least once and done a full ruins clear, you've essential conquered the survival challenge in the game and the main thing left is in fact megabasing.

I don't see what the survival challenge that others are going on about with the brightshades infesting your plants since at that point in the game, you are not having an issue harvesting plants. It instead becomes more of a chore like hound waves.

Now, I understand that Joe just said that we are not seeing the big picture of this new arc, but we've kind of had that happen for the journey of RoT where the big reveal of the Celestial Champion just lead to even more suspense lore wise and loot wise, its just an infinite light tam with a damage modifier that I've only really used for Misery Toadstool since every other boss is dead by that point.

(The infinite light via the mushlights is greatly appreciated, but that's more a megabaser thing than a survival thing, no? Especially since alter full moons are personally way easier to do.)

I'm going to keep my expectations low as I've always have as the constant suspense has taken its toll on me personally, even after taking a break.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Don’t starve and Don’t Starve together where never really games about building a Mega-Base though..

You’re definitely correct here, it’s not what klei is intending people do in the game but I mean you can only farm bosses so many times before you start wondering what the hell to do with all the crap piling up in your chests lol. Megabasing is the answer to that, megabasing is literally the endgame of DST as the game currently stands.

11 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

I don't see what the survival challenge that others are going on about with the brightshades infesting your plants since at that point in the game, you are not having an issue harvesting plants. It instead becomes more of a chore like hound waves.

I mean what would make it a survival challenge then? It's a problem you'll have to deal with eventually as it could potentially hinder your survival I'm hard pressed how Kiel is meant to make survival challenges in this game if it only interacts with us on our terms and isn't just another boss plopped in a random corner of the map. Now I'm not saying you feel this way but a thought I've been having more and more lately is perhaps the bigger issue is people feel the current system for combat itself is getting tedious making them less inclined to engage in survival based combat.

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Don’t starve and Don’t Starve together where never really games about building a Mega-Base though.. people just defaulted to that after they mastered everything else, and when every twitch stream and YouTube video became about a Megabase, players assumed that was what DSTs end game was meant to look like.

However, most Mega-Base players already toggle off the most destructive features such as Wildfires or Meteor Showers, so just switch the Rifts off as Well?

Klei has sacrificed new survival based content over satisfying Megabase enjoyers for far too long now..

And I think that with things like world Gen settings they should be able to satisfy BOTH types of players.

I believe that’s the ONLY way Klei is going to satisfy both Mega-Basers (whom the game was never designed or structured to accommodate for but just sort of slipped into..) and Survivalists (Who have waited entirely too long for new survival based challenges) 

You are dividing the playerbase into 2 groups - those who are "survivalist" and those who are "megabasers," and I think this is a glaring issue you need to correct before you can even understand what the issues here are.  People didn't see DST as a mega base ONLY experience.  For starters - in order to mega base you must already overcome all of the challenges of the world as it is.  Starving, hound waves, seasons, bee queen for wraps, toad to get lamps, afw to reset ruins, cc for infinite lights, etc etc.  You have to understand a lot about the game to set up farms for materials and resources.  You have to do it ALL.

There are probably *some* people who load up DST, turn on creative mode and just build whatever they want but that is likely an extremely small faction as every megabaser I watch play is also just extremely knowledgeable and skilled at the game.

The thing is - once you've completed all of the bosses, once you've overcome literally every challenge the game has for you, what is left to do is 1) repeat all of that again, and 2) mega base, or 3) delete and start over.  This is true for everyone, no matter what their play style is.  Klei is adding this on post-cc, this means its directly effecting the people who have already completed all of the bosses and are on repeat runs and building mega-bases.

So put aside this "us vs them" and "klei should stop catering to mega basers" talk, it is not productive.

Also if your answer is to change the world settings, stop whatever track you're on it is not productive either.  Yes settings exist, no they are not a way to sidestep valid criticism of game mechanics.

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

I mean what would make it a survival challenge then?

tbh - none of this feels like a survival thing, its more a chore thing.  Plants spawn in and infect your plants, you clear them out.  All previous gear is trash against them and SURPRISE you just took a massive hit of damage even though you're wearing 95% resist armor !!!  Okay so that sucks, but we do what we do - we push our way through and get the new gear, and then its just a new hound wave - something completely uninteresting, nonthreatening, yet constantly pushed on us...

Just like hound attacks, wild fires, disease, etc...

tbh - I think what would make it more of a survival challenge is if there were more to it.  Something that is fun to interact with, a challenge to overcome, with rewards that we want to play with instead of being forced to rotate out to new gear that doesn't really do anything interesting yet gimps many character perks...

1 minute ago, Shosuko said:

tbh - I think what would make it more of a survival challenge is if there were more to it.  Something that is fun to interact with, a challenge to overcome, with rewards that we want to play with instead of being forced to rotate out to new gear that doesn't really do anything interesting yet gimps many character perks...

Ok but here's my problem the only thing I can think of is a new questline like celestial champion's or boss in this regard because if your not really forced to interact with it what can possibly be done to separate it from what we already have? All they could do is ramp up the difficultly and make a ruins 2 but say they did that what's gonna be enough of a reward that people are satisfied 99% damage reduction? infinitely increase weapon damage values? That'd possibly work but I feel like adding more to the main gameplay loop of what you naturally experience should be the focus on future survival challenges.

8 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

gimps many character perks...

This is unfortunate I agree

9 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

instead of being forced to rotate out to new gear

I mean if we're making end game content and things become stronger traditionally this would have happened regardless otherwise people wouldn't bother with newer gear.

34 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

You are dividing the playerbase into 2 groups - those who are "survivalist" and those who are "megabasers,"

Of course I am!! Because Mega Basers want a way to solve every issue, meteorfields? Don’t base in them.. Ant-Lion Sinkholes? Go feed him a tasty rock so he stops wrecking stuffs etc.. etc..

MEANWHILE- I’m intentionally basing in a Meteor Field because I enjoy the thrill of watching them smash into my base and having to repair whatever gets wrecked.

People will have varying opinions on what a Survival Based challenge qualifies as, but when nothing can be added to the game in fear of it wrecking your precious base builds, there’s a glaring issue with that in of itself..

Now having said that, Mr JoeW’s post clearly states that the Roadmap (and new story arc) will focus on BOTH EndGame & Early Game content.

Which has me highly confused as to why to even trigger the Rifts at all requires killing CC.. as he says that’s the “Entry point to the new Endgame content”

But… what about the Early Game Content?? If this is the Entry point, how can it possibly be considered Early Game?

I have a feeling that what’s in beta/what’s coming in the April update is meant to be Late game content and thus- that’s why it’s locked behind killing CC FOR NOW…

Key words “For Now” because unless I’m misreading, the new Arc will offer content for both Early & Late Game players…

So with that in mind (and the possible reason this content is an optional world setting to begin with…) is that a future update in the same Arc actually WILL target the Early game- and may even see portal rifts with Weaker enemies then what’s currently in beta pouring out of them for the Early Game experience to enjoy..

We don’t actually know WHAT Klei’s intentions are, as they’ve yet to provide clear enough details.

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Now having said that, Mr JoeW’s post clearly states that the Roadmap (and new story arc) will focus on BOTH EndGame & Early Game content.

Which has me highly confused as to why to even trigger the Rifts at all requires killing CC.. as he says that’s the “Entry point to the new Endgame content”

But… what about the Early Game Content?? If this is the Entry point, how can it possibly be considered Early Game?

My assumption is this has to do with the new damage type system. And future damage types like fire, ice/water, electric/ poison will be applied to early game mobs.

Like Dragonfly will become fire aligned and be resistant to fire damage but take increase ice/water damage

Deerclops will be ice aligned and become resistant to ice damage but take increased fire damage

The water spiders and maybe other ocean mobs will get water alignment and take increased electric damage

Toadstool will get poison alignment 

etc, etc

But maybe thats just wishful thinking 

54 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I mean if we're making end game content and things become stronger traditionally this would have happened regardless otherwise people wouldn't bother with newer gear.

tbh I'm not sure where Klei is going with this, or how they feel this will make a more satisfying "end game loop."  I felt we had a pretty good one ending with CC.  Infinite light was awesome, the crown was very unique, and there is a lot of content to hit on repeat, farms to build, and a whole world to decorate.  Lots of fun and engaging bosses like Klaus, new NM Werepig, reworked Ancient Guardian, AFW etc.  I think their time would be better spent working on RWYS style face lifts that bring a sweeping change to mechanics that have been stale for years and impact all states of the game.  Add new mobs to the biomes to make them more unique, rework stale mobs and bosses to be more interesting, exciting and challenging to interact with etc rather than tack on another chore type of hound wave.

Since antlion's addition to the game one of the things I've wanted was basically more mechanics like it.  A thing you can interact with in different ways, to different effects.  If you want to just stop sinkholes you kill antlion early.  If you want to build up a desert stone reserve you trade with them.  You might also take advantage of the free rockfalls in the caves to stockpile stones.  Why isn't there something like this with hound attacks?  Some *thing* we can do where we can appease hound waves to delay them, ensuring we got a certain time without waves for us to accomplish what we're doing or a way to provoke them to trigger bigger waves, or other xyz effects that can make the system more interactive and threatening, while increasing player agency.

As for the damage cap - it all comes down to options and choices.  The way it works now we MUST switch to this armor / weapons when fighting CERTAIN mobs or our stuff just doesn't work.  When you switch weapons nothing changes though - you just fight with a different weapon.  Its arbitrary, might as well require glass cutter, or tentacle spikes, because nothing actually changes with the new gear.  Of course that's only true if you're not playing a combat-focused character.  If you're playing someone with combat perks you're actually worse off for it...  What we're missing are options and choices.  We don't choose to use this gear because its cool, we're forced to use this gear b/c other gear literally doesn't work.

So what about the damage cap?  Well surely we've seen 68 damage cap is some holy threshold but why?  Lets say we push passed that cap BUT we keep that it ignores all damage mods.  Now we get choices.  Say we're playing Wendy.  Abi gives a nice damage boost but its situationally available.  Some bosses she doesn't work well with, while others she helps a lot.  Wendy has a use for the BS sword for when Abi can't help, but when Abi can she probably wants to revert to DS or GC instead.  Wes might find the BS always useful because they don't have any good damage mods, but Wanda would never care about it b/c her AC is really all she needs.

A reason to want to use something >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> being forced to use something.

17 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Of course I am!! Because Mega Basers want a way to solve every issue, meteorfields? Don’t base in them.. Ant-Lion Sinkholes? Go feed him a tasty rock so he stops wrecking stuffs etc.. etc..

MEANWHILE- I’m intentionally basing in a Meteor Field because I enjoy the thrill of watching them smash into my base and having to repair whatever gets wrecked.

This is why its important you quit making megabasers out to be "others."  You think they don't enjoy the challenge?  They literally defeat every boss in the game many MANY times over to build their bases, exploring all biomes to gather resources, and you think they don't like challenge?  That they just turn off every feature?

Meanwhile you admit that you don't even clear bosses.  Sure you like to base in the meteor storm, wow edgy but when did you clear the bosses?

Also about early and late game - NM Werepig is early game, so they already hit that.  THIS patch is late game, and of course other stuff will come but none of that means we can't criticize this addition for what it is.  A pain in the neck, a chore tacked on, zero actual challenge just trading out old gear for new gear, getting more busy work with out reason, and kissing character perks goodbye...

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

You are dividing the playerbase into 2 groups - those who are "survivalist" and those who are "megabasers," and I think this is a glaring issue you need to correct before you can even understand what the issues here are.  People didn't see DST as a mega base ONLY experience.  For starters - in order to mega base you must already overcome all of the challenges of the world as it is.  Starving, hound waves, seasons, bee queen for wraps, toad to get lamps, afw to reset ruins, cc for infinite lights, etc etc.  You have to understand a lot about the game to set up farms for materials and resources.  You have to do it ALL.

There are probably *some* people who load up DST, turn on creative mode and just build whatever they want but that is likely an extremely small faction as every megabaser I watch play is also just extremely knowledgeable and skilled at the game.

I think this is true. The natural progression of a survival game is that once youve overcome the challenges you then can thrive. And this is exemplified perfectly with megabasing.

My only gripe is when megabasers who are in the thriving stage with their already established bases and worlds suddenly want all potential new survival content to exist in a separate bubble that doesnt affect them because its boring. Well of course its boring youre already thriving and any new survival activities are going to feel like a chore. Was farming spiders for their drops a chore? Was mining rocks for all your walls a chore? Was collecting firewood to light your fire for 2000 days a chore?

Just because eventually a survival challenge will become conquered and turn into "a chore" doesnt mean it shouldnt be added or i dont think we will ever get any new challenges.   

26 minutes ago, sudoku said:

I think this is true. The natural progression of a survival game is that once youve overcome the challenges you then can thrive. And this is exemplified perfectly with megabasing.

My only gripe is when megabasers who are in the thriving stage with their already established bases and worlds suddenly want all potential new survival content to exist in a separate bubble that doesnt affect them because its boring. Well of course its boring youre already thriving and any new survival activities are going to feel like a chore. Was farming spiders for their drops a chore? Was mining rocks for all your walls a chore? Was collecting firewood to light your fire for 2000 days a chore?

Just because eventually a survival challenge will become conquered and turn into "a chore" doesnt mean it shouldnt be added or i dont think we will ever get any new challenges.   

I don't think that is an accurate take.  I think the problem with this patch are many...  but lets start with probably the biggest elephant in the room - why are we STARTING with the post-CC content?  If there are early game parts to these mechanics, then why don't we see those first?  If all content was out we wouldn't be seeing these things first right?  So why are we seeing them added to the game first?  What is gained by starting with this section if its designed to come after something else?  This is why I describe this addition as feeling tacked on and arbitrary.  It doesn't mesh with anything that has come before, they should really be laying the groundwork with that part first.  Maybe if they did that, by the time they added post-cc content people would see the bigger picture these are supposed to be a part of, and understand how this will get incorporated into their game plan.

idk how quickly you handle CC but for me its like day 200-300 b/c there is just so much to do in the game before I get bored enough to go on that quest chain.  It already involves too many fetch quests and forced encounters, as well as changes the world in a way I don't enjoy.  To me these are just more reasons to NOT do CC.  Why not start at the early game stuff instead?  If the "great overarching impossible for my pleb mind to comprehend" design is supposed to place this stuff at the end, why are we getting it first???

Klei is just steering this disruptive content patch directly INTO where megabasers already exist without any foundational basis to justify its self.  Of course they would have a problem with it.  I do NOT think that means they are opposed to challenges, unable to adapt, or wrong for questioning the changes.

12 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

lets start with probably the biggest elephant in the room - why are we STARTING with the post-CC content?  If there are early game parts to these mechanics, then why don't we see those first?  If all content was out we wouldn't be seeing these things first right?  So why are we seeing them added to the game first?  What is gained by starting with this section if its designed to come after something else?  This is why I describe this addition as feeling tacked on and arbitrary.  It doesn't mesh with anything that has come before, they should really be laying the groundwork with that part first.  Maybe if they did that, by the time they added post-cc content people would see the bigger picture these are supposed to be a part of, and understand how this will get incorporated into their game plan.

I do agree its weird that they are starting with the endgame content first. But if I had to guess its because endgame progression has been a long requested issue that a lot of players have asked for and lets face it many of the past few updates have focused on trying to make the game easier to understand for newer players, so maybe they felt it was time to give the opposite side of the playerbase a time in the sun

I also think that them saying that they are focusing on both endgame and early game content is just a way to not commit an entire year's(maybe more?) worth of content to solely endgame players, and leaving casual and newer players out to dry because i have a pretty good feeling that the actual number of players who have or plan on killing CC is very small.

Joes wording seemed to imply that this is the first part of the endgame content (1 of 3) but i think the early game stuff will be entirely seperate in regards to rifts 

51 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don't think wanting to solve a problem is something exclusive to megabasers, it's a pretty human response.

52 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I hope you understand what a superminority you represent, yeah? I've noticed that you often bring up the console experience or the experience of people who avoid fighting bosses, and that's fine and fair, not to mention important as they affect many players.

But with this I can't tell if you're trying to be unique, or you genuinely enjoy this sort of gameplay, but you have got to understand this is something that nobody except you thinks/believes. This isn't "Megabasers vs normal players", this is pretty much the entire playerbase vs you. It's one thing to enjoy the threat posed to your base by specific hazards, but another thing entirely to actively seek out having your base destroyed.

58 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

People will have varying opinions on what a Survival Based challenge qualifies as, but when nothing can be added to the game in fear of it wrecking your precious base builds, there’s a glaring issue with that in of itself..

That's because it is being used as vaguely. But taken literally we'd expect it to be some sort of obstacle that makes surviving difficult. I think that's an entirely reasonable definition, and under this definition we can see that there are already a few such challenges present in the game that meet the criteria of not destroying your base, such as:

- Plants being unable to grow in winter, which cuts you off from food sources, as well as the means to create torches to keep the darkness at bay.

- Gobblers spawning from berry bushes, potentially stealing away all your food if they are not responded to quickly.

- Lord of the fruit flies ruining your crop.

- The whole system of having to fertilise plants.

- Needing a flingomatic for your plants during summer.

Now, are these well designed challenges? Who knows. You could probably make a good faith argument for or against each of them being well implemented, but the reality is that none of them permanently affect the state of your base, yet still make surviving more difficult, at least for less experienced players.

I should also point out that disease is similar to many of the above, with the primary difference being that (surprise surprise) it permanently destroyed your resources. Disease was wildly unpopular, while the above challenges seem to rarely if ever get questioned. It seems people are less against survival based challenges than they are against said challenges being actively destructive, at least in unavoidable ways.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

So with that in mind (and the possible reason this content is an optional world setting to begin with…) is that a future update in the same Arc actually WILL target the Early game- and may even see portal rifts with Weaker enemies then what’s currently in beta pouring out of them for the Early Game experience to enjoy..

We don’t actually know WHAT Klei’s intentions are, as they’ve yet to provide clear enough details.

I think it's pointless to speculate on the nature of the earlygame content based on the theme of the arc. Remember that return of them was a primarily lunar-themed series of upates (hence alter/celestial champion being the climax of the arc), but featured thematically unrelated updates like reap what you sow, as well as ocean content that was at best tangential to lunar stuff, if not outright unrelated like malbatross.

Archived