Please Buff the Night Light

Small, mostly unrelated request, but since Maxwell's getting all this love, I thought it would be pretty fitting to talk about.

As it stands the Night light is less than useless, it provides light at the cost of Nightmare Fuel, which is nothing but a waste of one of the more useful resources in the game. Not to mention as it stands it only works as a campfire you can't cook on, it has no extra value (besides Sanity loss when close to it?)

I think it would be way more interesting if instead of just working light a campfire, it worked like Maxwell's torches from adventure mode, where when you're close to them they turn on. It would work off a charge system, that you can see how many charges are in it by looking at the Gem on it's front. It would hold 6 charges (one for each little segment of the gem) and whenever you would get close to it, it would activate one of the charges, and as long as you were in it's radius, it wouldn't extinguish. It of course would still have the Sanity drain. 

Just my idea, thought it would be a little interesting, let me know what you guys think while you're at it :)

It's not less than useless. You can keep it precrafted so that if you're ever in a situation where your handheld light ran out and you already used your precrafted campfire and fire pit and forgot to make them again you won't die to darkness. I don't remember the last time that happened to me but it is something it can do :D

10 hours ago, Erineyes7 said:

I think it would be way more interesting if instead of just working light a campfire, it worked like Maxwell's torches from adventure mode, where when you're close to them they turn on. It would work off a charge system, that you can see how many charges are in it by looking at the Gem on it's front. It would hold 6 charges (one for each little segment of the gem) and whenever you would get close to it, it would activate one of the charges, and as long as you were in it's radius, it wouldn't extinguish. It of course would still have the Sanity drain.

Definitely one of the most fitting ideas I've read for improving the Night Light. The cost certainly justifies such a use.

9 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You're right, no one ever dies to darkness. Just check public servers for proof.

Pretty sure they meant having a pre crafted Night Light. It costs 8 Golden Nuggets, it seems a waste to drop it at some random place on the map, when there are cheaper and better alternatives.

33 minutes ago, Just-guy said:

Pretty sure they meant having a pre crafted Night Light. It costs 8 Golden Nuggets, it seems a waste to drop it at some random place on the map, when there are cheaper and better alternatives.

Oh no, 8 gold. If someone makes a dozen of those it's gonna start to become wasteful.

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Oh no, 8 gold. If someone makes a dozen of those it's gonna start to become wasteful.

why you always do these super satire mentions nobody ever finds funny

i meant that nobody is gonna miraculously get saved by night light when you just do the same but with a campfire or a torch, since having twigs and grass or grass and logs is more common than gold nf and a red gem

and my original reply was deleted, nice

8 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

why you always do these super satire mentions nobody ever finds funny

i meant that nobody is gonna miraculously get saved by night light when you just do the same but with a campfire or a torch, since having twigs and grass or grass and logs is more common than gold nf and a red gem

and my original reply was deleted, nice

3 hours ago, Just-guy said:

Why whenever someone counters your arguments you reply on a mocking passive aggressive tone?

Ignore them if they bother you. As JoeW would say, keep it on topic.

I think this is a good idea, but more sanity drain should purposefully keep it from being a better mushlight.

While we're revisiting this idea- Should we also revisit the recipe for the Night Light itself? Gems in DST each tie into an elemental power and red is one of the more ill-defined ones. 

Orange is Labor (Lazy deserter, forager, explorer)
Yellow is Light (Star Caller staff, magiluminesence)
Green is Cost (construction amulet, deconstruction staff)
Blue is Ice (Ice staff, chilled amulet, salt box, snow Chester, refrigeration circuit) & dropped by Ice Hounds.

Purple is Dark magic (Shadow Manipulator, nightmare amulet, bat bat, slow down rounds, and startling soliloquy)but also (telelocator staff, and socketing into the telelocator focus)
Red is dropped by fire hounds, used for fire staff, scaled furnace, end is nigh, thermal circuit. However, it is also used in recipes such as life giving amulet, agelesss watch, and the Night Light. [/spoiler]

It would make more sense from an internal logic standpoint to me if the gem required for this recipe was a purple gem and not a red, as the night light doesn't provide heat nor life. 

ALSO I just checked the wiki to do some deep-dive research as to why this recipe is the way it is. According to the DST wiki, the night light was added in the "Insanity!" update which was released Feb. 12th 2013. Guess when the purple gem was added to the game? In the "A little rain must fall" update which released Mar. 12th 2013. ANOTHER interesting note: Willow's quote when examining the night light: "It's like fire, but purple!"

The literal only reason it favors a red gem is due to it being the only gem in the game at the time of its creation! I suspect this was just an oversight that never needed more attention. Therefore, TLDR:

I propose in addition to OP's functionality update, it gets refreshed with new recipe of 1 purple gem to replace the 1 red gem in its cost, and update the game artwork to reflect this change.

On 11/6/2022 at 7:34 PM, Erineyes7 said:

Small, mostly unrelated request, but since Maxwell's getting all this love, I thought it would be pretty fitting to talk about.

As it stands the Night light is less than useless, it provides light at the cost of Nightmare Fuel, which is nothing but a waste of one of the more useful resources in the game. Not to mention as it stands it only works as a campfire you can't cook on, it has no extra value (besides Sanity loss when close to it?)

Just my idea, thought it would be a little interesting, let me know what you guys think while you're at it :)

Not sure if spending charges on switching is a good idea, seems inconvenient to use, maybe it should still run out based on time, but not when switched off. Or just make it eternal, we have many sources of eternal light now (Abigail, toad's lamps with celestial shards or just winter's feast lights, WX's light chip, moon storms, mooncaller in a moon altar, etc), none of which drain sanity, so it's not as op as it would be 10 years ago.

Archived