Encourage breaking with 4-height rutine

Many players use 4-tile height for all rooms for many reasons: most buildings fit that height, many require it, max size of all room divides by 4 nicely, digging range doesn't allow for higher rooms without building ladders. 4-height room feels optimal and it feels wrong to have smaller rooms that 4-height

On the other hand - it feels very boring and repetitive, it doesn't really play with creative aspect of ONI. At the start of the game we already know where we will build walls and ladders, even if we are not sure yet what will be inside those rooms.

So maybe we could get some tools that would encourage different approach?

• Increased digging/building ranges for each skill point invested in related skills
  • Stairs that allow dupes travel vertically using their horizontal speed, without time loss for ladders
  • Bridges that work like floors, but allow for ladders to run behind them
  • Buildings that require reaching the ceiling, that have non-4 height (eg 6-tile greek-style columns, 3-height pillars, etc)
  • 5-height door
  • 5-height plant/buildings that would fit in the middle of the base (research reactor does not)
  • Slider/bungee rec-building that requires dupes to start on the higher tiles and moves them below
  • rooms that have maximum height requirement below 4 (or minimal above 5)

3 hours ago, pether said:

it feels very boring and repetitive

Sure sure... Everything 4 tiles height :rolleyes:

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.a6be59bc1be460b4425f542d52ea2031.jpeg

I also have this one that has a bit.. too many buildings

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.28fd14caeaa66f7e4d4faa7b37be4fbb.jpeg

Everything is so boring and symmetrical, right? :lol:

3 hours ago, pether said:

Bridges that work like floors, but allow for ladders to run behind them

It could be interesting if ladders formed bridges when built side by side horizontally. Same for columns. They could be 1-tile height background tile-like buildings that formed their top and bottom design when you put more than 3-5 of them one on top of the other.

Possibilities are endless!

More 5+ tile buildings would help with that for sure. Some advanced industrial machinery or large recreation stuff. They could bring back the dupe rocket trainer centrifuge maybe as a recreation machine. Iirc it was 5 high. I`m not sure how to force smaller rooms though. Maybe a corridor speed bonus for enclosed rooms that aren`t higher than 2 tiles.

On 10/21/2022 at 10:36 AM, Sasza22 said:

They could bring back the dupe rocket trainer centrifuge maybe as a recreation machine.

I still can’t believe they didn’t bring it back in SO! as a building for training the piloting attribute.

On 10/23/2022 at 2:14 PM, gabberworld said:

most off food farms 3 tile is enoh soo not necessary need build 4 tiles

Actually most farms are ok at 2 tiles high (sleet wheat could be 1 if dupes could access them) while bristle berry can go as high as 6 so you can use less lights.

Boring? It's effective, I think it should be encouraged more, making most 5+ high buildings shorter, like the molecular forge. Makes things neat and efficient because of the blocky nature of the game. If more buildings were to be made 5+ tiles high, I would just leave 2 floors for those specific buildings, with some horizontal ladders for access. On that note, scaffolding would be a better addition to improve the game in my opinion, of which there is a mod, along with diagonal stairs.

6 hours ago, ZombieDupe said:

scaffolding would be a better addition to improve the game in my opinion

How is scaffolding different from regular ladders? Honest question. Ladders already look like scaffolding.

Anyway recently i started making vetical ladder bed rooms to save some space. Works peretty nice and you can make doors on multpile levels so it can connect with regular floors without being ugly.

59 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

How is scaffolding different from regular ladders? Honest question. Ladders already look like scaffolding.

In terms of the scafolding mod, when you have a corridor with ladders, firepoles and maybe transit tubes, when duplicants dun across them, they will latch onto them or jump past them if they can't, slowing them down. Scafolding makes them run horizontally continuously while still allowing vertical movement to be as smooth as it always has been. Scafolding can also be placed on top of buildings, since it's in its own foreground layer, so you never have to plinko your way around them to reach stuff.

Archived