Is There A Goal Besides Survival?

In regular Don't Starve there's the Story-mode.

So many players in Don't Starve Together, on the public servers, give up after Winter.

I myself have grown bored with Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together, despite all the changes that DST has gone through.

If there's a goal besides surviving, I'd like to know what it is.

If there isn't a goal aside from surviving, I'd love to see one added. Something that encourages players to stay on the server and not log off when things get difficult, but instead want to tough them out, and since it's Don't Starve Together, I'd like to see a goal that everyone can work towards together.

Even just having a cumulative survival count, that is total days survived by everyone on the server together, could be a neat little thing. Right over the top of the entrance portal, it could show how many days everyone has survived together. So, two people surviving together one day would show "2" while four people surviving together one day would show "4" and four people surviving 4 days together would be "16"... so the more people there are, the higher the number gets, faster. And when people leave the server, they're not adding to that group score (but their total number is not subtracted either).

Special events could happen based on that score, which could require a minimum of four players to last one full cycle together to get that score, but any number of players together... with that score being some number equal to an in-game year of survival (fall, winter, summer, spring... spring, summer, winter, fall... or whatever) divided by the maximum number of players the server is set to allow. (Thus, someone can't just create a server for 300 people and get the event to instantly happen, and with a minimum of four players for the event, someone can't just play solo and do it.)

What would that event be? I don't know, maybe we as a community can figure something out. Maybe a secret door opens to another world, maybe it's-it's own story-mode. Maybe a special monster spawns that's difficult to kill but has some interesting loot.

Anyway, point is, I'd like to see players rewarded for surviving together, but not punished for leaving (aside from it taking longer for everyone) because they have to leave, because life happens.

Kill bosses if you want to. But No. You make your own fun. Some people mega base, some people survive for as long as they can, some people kill all bosses, some people boss rush.

I personally just play until I get bored with the world and start a new one. I really like exploration and DST has it. So out of my 2000 hours 95% of it has been within 200 days before I get tired and restart.

I find private servers to be boring. so I usually play on the Klei endless pub servers and set up shadow knight boat, set up full moon, get everyone k sacks, get everyone enlightened crowns, then start building a cool base usually in caves so no noobs or griefers can find.

This is usually achieved around 150-200 days but nowadays the klei servers are very unstable so it's hard to do that anymore. Also griefers have been targetting me, including DDosing servers to reset them to day 1

3 hours ago, Evelo said:

Kill bosses if you want to. But No. You make your own fun. Some people mega base, some people survive for as long as they can, some people kill all bosses, some people boss rush.

I personally just play until I get bored with the world and start a new one. I really like exploration and DST has it. So out of my 2000 hours 95% of it has been within 200 days before I get tired and restart.

I too delete my worlds after exploring them/building a big pretty base in them.

DST is starting to deeply bore me.. and it’s not me falling out of love with the franchise- it’s DST having the LACK of the things I enjoyed about DS and it’s DLCs.

Such as: Random Mob Encounters (Ham/SW) Blocked off Chokepoints needing X to get to Y (Boats, Gas Masks, Armor to pass Pig Warrior Biome in Adventures Mode) 

Hell to be honest: I’m disappointed Klei didn’t do something really cool with Reap What You Sow Gardens.. I would’ve loved needing to plant my crops in specific biomes/areas so they only grew most beneficially inside their preferred environment!

But no.. all of the challenge of DS+ it’s DLCs are absent from DST.

And what’s most depressing about that is that DST was advertised and sold as a Multiplayer Stand Alone EXPANSION to the single player game (so obviously I expected it to play similar to the single player game…)

But instead- we ended up with an open world Sandbox and no real “goal” 

I feel like it’s probably “too late” to Fix DST and make it Enjoyable for me again…. But what Klei COULD do to make me happy is Update Single Player DS to support 2-3 player Co-op and all the skins I’ve earned in DST.

Yeah I’d rather player DS & it’s two DLCs over hoping DST ever gets any of the features I loved about the original game.

For me the goal is exploration.. unfortunately the world's really small and there aren't many biomes and they usually always spawn the same way or placements so even that's starting to get boring to me.. I wish the game had more exploration or a bigger world, that's the most fun part of the game for me and when that's over I usually regen the world because just survival is boring (especially when playing alone)

even with all the mods I use to add more places to explore or make the game feel cooler like uncomp, cherry forest, legion, myth words, ect. still not enough :wilson_cry:

I wouldn't say survival is the goal, being a survival sandbox the survival part is just a mean to an end that is doing whatever you want to. You survive to sail, base build, kill bosses, play together, or just chill.

So as mentioned before, you just play the game and do whatever you want to, if you believe survival is the goal then I'm not surprised you'll get bored once you've managed to survive all the seasons' hazards, get food and solve the hound waves problem.

If you are bored there's nothing wrong with taking a break from the game, burnout is a thing. But if you want to try enjoying it again, you can try playing Together and settle a base on the portal of a public server so you can meet new experienced people to play with in other ocassion, help newbies survive the winter and even deal with griefers, it's annoying, but it's somehow entertaining because what could happen with them is unpredictable.

About people leaving on winter: if you usually play on public survival servers it is understandable people would do that, there is no point in playing hours in a server where all progress can be restarted (unless you are just trying to have some quick fun), add to this that if you play from day 1 to day 21 you have played a total of 160 minutes (2 hours and 40 minutes), and you may feel exhausted and obliged to leave. So, if you have been playing on survival servers all this time try the dedicated endless servers of a community to play along with people that frequent the server.

Hope this helps, I know there's more context to the situation but I'm just throwing anything that could help you have fun. DST is an amazing game and it's crazy it's still growing and we are part of it.

9 hours ago, . . . said:

For me the goal is exploration.. unfortunately the world's really small and there aren't many biomes and they usually always spawn the same way or placements so even that's starting to get boring to me.. I wish the game had more exploration or a bigger world, that's the most fun part of the game for me and when that's over I usually regen the world because just survival is boring (especially when playing alone)

even with all the mods I use to add more places to explore or make the game feel cooler like uncomp, cherry forest, legion, myth words, ect. still not enough :wilson_cry:

i wish they add some kind of area that regenerates in shape and loot every X days :_

38 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i wish they add some kind of area that regenerates in shape and loot every X days :_

Sometimes it’s not even about loot one of the really cool things about DS solo Adventures mode was that each chapter was a brand new world.

Thats one of the deciding/leading factors that drives me to buy most my games & DS promised I could explore randomly generated worlds full of things that hate me and want me to die. Anytime I died in RoG/SW/Ham my world was destroyed & a new one was randomly generated to explore & discover things within.

The games on my Xbox that fit this category are 7 Days to Die, Apex Legends, Ark Survival Evolved, Atlas, Don’t Starve, Don’t Starve Together, Fortnite, Minecraft, No Man’s Sky, Spelunky, Spelunky 2, State of Decay 2, And WindBound.

What do ALL of these games share in Common with each other? Weapon placement, Enemy Mobs, and sometimes the entire game world itself is a randomly generated & unique adventure.

For me DS/DST was NEVER about fighting bosses.. I just wanted to play in randomly generated worlds with a wacky cast of unique playable characters.

And the more of that Klei can provide me with (which means ditching the silly dress up contests, stage shows & mini-games..) the HAPPIER I Will be.

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Sometimes it’s not even about loot one of the really cool things about DS solo Adventures mode was that each chapter was a brand new world.

but is always a good incentive and more if there is rng to gamble like the ruins gems or klaus, both are fun in mechanics, loot and gambling

Archived