OPINION: I don't like the monthly update model.

Though I know they sometimes skip months, I'm not too much of a fan of the monthly update model. I feel like content could be much more fleshed out if they were released few and far in between. I think them spending 6 months on the ocean, making it a much better and enjoyable place would be better than having 6 ocean updates over the course of 2 years with none really adding anything quite enough. It feels like a lot of the time they have to try to hit a deadline hard, and sometimes don't have enough time to make changes after the update is out ( I don't work at klei so that's just speculation). Anyway a monthly update model just seems like it's trying to satisfy it's fans and to me it seems to have made them spoiled after seeing a handful of people constantly asking when the next update is, which only achieves to make klei rush it so they can push it out to hungry fans.

Though I obviously realize that this argument has some problems, like QOLs not really fitting a couple mega updates a year model, and like how I mentioned before, but people really want their damn updates.
Feel free to share your opinion on the topic and argue about them (in a civil manner please)

More updates keeps people's interest in the game stronger because there's new content coming out sooner which keeps things fresh. With less updates (even if they are big) then more people will get less interested in the game and may stop playing altogether until an update comes out.

Wasn't the whole tencent deal back then supposed to help with that that too? Like, more money, more people, so we could have more and better content? (And more people playing and buying skins too). Sure this is a simple view and I could've written this with way more details, but I think this is enough to get my point across

I'm honestly fine with whatever schedule Klei decides is best for them, yet I too am afraid, that monthly updates make the community a bit pushy, when Klei doesn't deliver on time for once. I think, the best way right now is for us all to calm it down a bit, instead of throwing out "Where my update?" threads on several thursdays. They are humans after all (exept for programmers. I don't fully understand yet, what programmers are, but that's beyond the point here).

DST's bulk revenue probably comes nowadays from selling Skin Packs. A kinda-monthly Skin Packs release theoretically brings a steady income. Tencent's investment in KLei likely means a constant revenue demand. Likewise a monthly update schedule means more media-focus on DST, as others stated, and a higher possibility of news-related DST sales and, by associated extension, DS copies. Perhaps that's the gigs of it.

Yes, it's a good chance more "baking times" for updates would've made them shine better.

I remember I took a break when Toadstool came out and came back right before RWYS. It was a ton of fun. I am not opposed to Klei taking a long time on updates. There are other games out there in the world to occupy time between content updates. I'll keep coming back because DST is an amazing game.
(I really need to get back into ONI but holy cow that game is a brain chugger and with work it makes it hard to focus)

Since i can't quote people for some reason @. . . I disagree cause most games go by a non monthly model and are still alive, in fact most active service games can expect to get an update every 6 months, klei is like the only game i've seen that does a monthly update schedule 

I'd be fine on them making updates every few months, but people do get very impatient for this game's updates which I can understand cuz, well, SAME.

But I don't think Klei deserves the pressure of calling some of those updates bad and all, they're working really hard to push something new and keep game relevance going hard. Even smaller updates are something to be excited about.

There's a thought that maybe they're working on refreshes giving them time to plan out actual bigger updates. Monkey island was a big new addition and boat changes along with it and it took them quite a bit between bigger updates to finish, so I can assume they're maybe sorting their update schedule now to take more time into them? Idk.

The ocean argument is just that there were a lotta technicalities and change of engine and so on that took most time, not to mention floating boat platforms along with that. Which gives me to think that they DO take their time with it all, it's just new and fresh mechanics and things just can take up more time overall.

I think the monthly schedule is fine to be honest, considering several factors- 
1- Tencent owns majority shares into Klei.

2- Some Other games Tencent owns shares into (Fortnite, Rocket League, Fallguys, Gears 5, Anything with an Epic Games logo.. But mostly Fortnite/Fallguys) get monthly updates- either in the form of new Battle Passes (Which JoeW has gone on record discussing as a possibility for DST once..) Or through cycling new challenges into the game every few weeks or so (See current Fallguys Miku Challenge) Tencent is well aware that keeping the player actively engaged keeps them playing and spending.

3- Monthly Updates keep people coming back to actively play the game keeping the games player activity levels from plummeting to Zero.

The only downside to monthly updates is maybe some things get rushed or unfinished but.. I can also point you to triple A blockbuster releases that got delayed by 6 years and still released as a broken buggy mess… and in all honesty it’s easier to identify and fix bugs if the entire gaming community is playing and finding them rather then just having a handful of devs or bug play testers doing it.

People tend to forget that we no longer live in the days of buying a PlayStation one disc or Nintendo Cartridge and if the game has a critical bug your just out of luck.. now days games can get frequent patches and hotfixes.

In 23 days I’ll be buying Gotham Knights and I am well aware it’ll likely launch as a broken barely playable mess, but I also know it’ll get patches and bug fixes to hopefully be worth all the money I’m investing into it.

However if Tencents shares in Fortnite/Rocket League/Fallguys are anything to go by: Don’t expect Klei to slow down updates anytime soon.

About people being interested in game. 

We get about 2 people per server. In eu you can find like 3-4 servers above 2 where there's max 10 people.   The only active servers are chinese.

But I don't think long time between updates is what keeps people uninterested. Play on any of those 10 people ones and realize when it turns into another 2 people server. 

People leave in winter. People don't join in any other season than first year's autumn. While autumn is season when you should prepare for winter and winter is when you should be preparing for spring etc. It's what keeps people not interested. They can't join in any season and have good start except in autumn. Wetness in spring and heat in summer are really merciless for someone without protection and some specific knowledge like knowing that trees provide exactly 35% wetness protection so you make a fire near a tree put a straw hat on and use pretty parasol to start drying also if you could reach 99.99998% wetness protection you still wouldn't start drying what's somewhat confusing. Cold in winter is manageable but for less than 25% players that's sure and it takes a huge chunk of your free time to get the winter gear and once you get it ta da, spring. Add to it how necessary heating up slows you down greatly + there's no unpicked grass and twigs.

Pubs are nowhere ready for multiplayer.

@Mike23Ua as a fall guys player, uhhhh no. Fall guys does not get monthly updates and actually follows a schedule like i mentioned, having content updates once every couple months. And as i mentioned before, there are many many many many many many games that barely have updates and instead go for mega updates like isaac's dlcs which allows it to be alive (Not saying dst should be like this, just saying rarely releasing updates can still allow an active playerbase) most games don't do what klei does cause it's an extremely hard thing to do.

@Well-met Doesn't really say anything, i'd rather have updates released less frequently, and have more polish to them, and given more focus (even if that means less content)

But how do you know that giving anything more time to create would make it any better at all? Isn’t there a certain belief that the Hamlet DLC is still unfinished?? There’s my point exactly, it’s better to get monthly updates (which often include community requested QoL changes) then it is to wait 6 months or a year for a “Bigger” update and it still ends up buggy/glitchy/ or feeling incomplete.

Hamlet was finished and released around 2019 which was around the time Klei started putting their main focus into dst with things like turns of the tides and stuff like that. It had nothing to do with what you said and quite the opposite in fact. They had too much on their plate and had to cut something off 

@Mike23Ua 6 months is too much, that is for sure, but what happens when the game gets all the necessary/requested QoL updates? At least after all the character refreshes are done, I would even prefer ditching the update schedule all together over getting monthly updates for the sake of them being monthly. But this would be a bad business model, so I support something like a big update every 3-4 months where we get lore reveals, story progress and new content. Otherwise the only options I see for the monthly update schedule in the (very) long run are either rushed story related content, or all the old game content inevitably getting refreshed, and while some might find this interesting, I want to have some sort of a familiarity with one of my favorite games.

Just to clarify not every update would take 6 months I said it as an example of id rather they focus on one thing instead of spreading it out across multiple years and it just ending up mellow (my example being one big ocean update rather than having this updates spread out across a long time frame without much happening)

They essentially did this with Moon Quay already, no? That update's development started out in January I believe and released in June while other (smaller) updates were done in-between such as QoL/Reworks(which are usually done by one main developer on the programming side of things). I would imagine the next "big" setting the stage update has been in works for a little while in the background.

3 minutes ago, Hornete said:

They essentially did this with Moon Quay already, no? That update's development started out in January I believe and released in June while other (smaller) updates were done in-between such as QoL/Reworks(which are usually done by one main developer on the programming side of things). I would imagine the next "big" setting the stage update has been in works for a little while in the background.

Really? That’s very nice to hear and I hope they continue to do this.

35 minutes ago, mr. brj said:

@Mike23Ua -snip-

Well I mean if Klei really were stretching themselves thin on a tight schedule, I don’t think they would have willingly introduced even more things to their Schedule: My biggest example would be the (now Yearly) Midsummers Cawnival- The game really really didn’t need this in my opinion, and it didn’t need a year 2 of Carnival games for darned sure.. Klei has even opted to skip updating WintersFeast & Hallowed Nights in the past so they can focus on the bigger updates- so why add this Cawnival that really doesn’t even fit into the core theme of the game to begin with?

Another thing that probably feels like they’re rushed to meet deadlines is trying to do all the remaining character reworks in one wack- in addition to attempting to update WX78,Wickerbottom, Wilson & Maxwell they also further tweaked other characters like Wurt & Wortox and even added in Wonkey who is technically a hidden playable character.

If meeting Deadlines really was such an issue- they wouldn’t add more things to their schedule. But that’s just my opinion.. :wilson_vforvictory:

Archived