Food and my love of Wormwood

Just a short little topic because of the talk regarding Wickerbottom and how some people are upset by the refresh, while other people (myself) like the refresh.

Wormwood is my absolute favorite character because of 3 main reasons.

1) His personality - I love how innocent he is. He comes off as very carefree and it is so nice to have that level of optimism in my life.

2) His sanity manipulation - Characters (minus warly and wigfrid) can easily manipulate their sanity with the use of Green and Blue mushrooms. So while it isn't crazy I just really like how doing mundane tasks like chopping trees can be both a curse (going insane) and a blessing (convenience of farming nightmare fuel). This convenience also extends into his ability to easily rely on Darkswords as a weapon while occasionally using the Batbat for health. Speaking of health...

3) Food fills his belly but not his heart - This single perk has made me absolutely love Don't Starve since I stopped playing during ANR times and came back around the time of Wurts release. I think. Point is having food not damage or heal is such a fundamental shift in gameplay that I actually struggle to enjoy other characters (minus Warly and Wanda) because of how easy it is to heal up even accidentally.

Why I bring this up: Well, to put it simply, is there a mod out there that causes food to not heal (but can still damage) you? This aspect of the game with Wormwood (and to a smaller extent Warly and Wanda) really makes the game quite enjoyable. (For me! hence why I want a mod and not baseline)

Side note: because I know people are going to bring up Warly. I count him as unique because while he can snarf down one food, it is nice and a different challenge to have to prepare and mix and match various healing foods for an upcoming fight, rather than just stuff your face full of Wobster Bisque or Pierogi.

23 minutes ago, KM_Harrowick said:

Now that you mention it, it is pretty insane that food is the primary healing source, making all healing items obsolete...

This was a good read, too! Glad to hear you enjoy Wormwood! :eagerness:

in real life food is THE healing item, while salves are a secondary protection from infection

54 minutes ago, KM_Harrowick said:

Now that you mention it, it is pretty insane that food is the primary healing source, making all healing items obsolete...

Healing items are easier to get and never spoil. If anything makes other healing obsolete it's jellybeans making everything that isn't jellybeans obsolete.

11 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Healing items are easier to get and never spoil. If anything makes other healing obsolete it's jellybeans making everything that isn't jellybeans obsolete.

Very true. I intentionally throw away the Royal Jelly as Wormwood just so I have more incentive for Batbat, Honey Poultice, etc. Though easier to get I disagree with. Vehemently.

2 hours ago, Evelo said:

Very true. I intentionally throw away the Royal Jelly as Wormwood just so I have more incentive for Batbat, Honey Poultice, etc. Though easier to get I disagree with. Vehemently.

Every time I play I accidentally get a chest full of spider glands from doing things I was already going to do like get silk for crafts, or from other mobs killing the spiders. You never accidentally get any amount of healing food.

Plus spiders are a popular food source, especially among newer players, due to the low thought, skill, time, and effort it takes to relocate dens or just fight wild spiders.

1 hour ago, ADM said:

So you're looking for a mod to make any character get the downside of not healing from food ? If so, here you have it :

No Food Healing.zip 22.08 kB · 0 downloads

(there's a few configs to make this eventually a bit more interesting)

Awesome! Though i have no idea how to implement it since I just use the Steam Workshop, haha. Thanks for this though! :love_heart:

4 hours ago, Evelo said:

Though i have no idea how to implement it since I just use the Steam Workshop

You're free to upload it to yours (visible or not) using the mod tools of your Steam library, that'd be only useful if you play multiplayer or then to install it locally you can put it in the mods folder of your game, browse the game files from Steam and it should go right there unzipped. :encouragement:

On 8/30/2022 at 4:47 AM, Cheggf said:

Every time I play I accidentally get a chest full of spider glands from doing things I was already going to do like get silk for crafts, or from other mobs killing the spiders. You never accidentally get any amount of healing food.

Plus spiders are a popular food source, especially among newer players, due to the low thought, skill, time, and effort it takes to relocate dens or just fight wild spiders.

Yes you always do get a lot of healing food, when hunting any mob that drop meat or monster meat. Just take a honey from bee queen hive or a vegetable and you have the best healing method in the game. Or, just transform some in eggs and do bacon and eggs.

You have a chest full of gland by getting silk ? They have the same drop rate. So it means that when farming a chest full of slik (who does that ? in which time ?) you also get a chest full of gland. Huh ... ok ? Hey guys, when I farm dragonfruits which is a "thing I was already doing", I also accidentally get dragonfruits seeds to have way more ! Cheaty, heh ?

Thanks for the spider trivia, but reastically (and honestly) if "new players" know about killing spiders for glands and then maybe for healing salve, they 100% know about farming vegetable which is way more reliable, profitable and less dangerous. You don't have to know the subject in depth, just prepare the ground, dig, plant any seed a bird dropped and you might have a +20 health or a +40 health when used for pierogi. Plus, you generally get atleast an identified seed back to repeat the process, or even more seeds. Healing items don't do that, at all :cupcake:

On 8/30/2022 at 2:13 AM, Cheggf said:

Healing food doesn't spoil when using the bundling wrap that you can acquire first autumn. Healing foods make the game such trivial. When teaching new players, it is the first healing method being mentionned, if the only one actually.

I would have stopped the game a long time ago if it wasn't for Wormwood, then Warly, and more recently Wanda.

On 8/30/2022 at 4:47 AM, Cheggf said:

You never accidentally get any amount of healing food.

My 40 stale pierogi would beg to differ.

Seriously, I have this ancient instinct to just make stacks of pierogie whenever food is available, even if there is no bossfight ahead. I need help..

5 hours ago, Falkenpelz said:

My 40 stale pierogi would beg to differ.

Seriously, I have this ancient instinct to just make stacks of pierogie whenever food is available, even if there is no bossfight ahead. I need help..

Crockpots are the biggest noob trap (one exception:jellybeans) for healing disguised as a "pro" mechanic...

Blue caps and healing salves do great and are quick to make/gather (as Cheggf said you gather glands passively by farming spiders for silk) until you get jellybeans then all other healing (including pierogies) are terrible and a waste of time to grind the ingredients/waiting for crockpots to cook or juggling bundling wrap unless you risk spoilage. 

Wormwoods inability to heal off food has never effected me as healing salves/honey poultices are far better than food for the lack of spoilage alone. If anything because of compost wrap i actually have more options for healing. 

This, joined with the on-demand living logs for dark swords, 20% speed boost, bramble husk for quick farming of hordes of spiders and better use of night armour/bat bat due to being able to plant seeds for sanity during fights... wormwood is a pretty damn good combat character in equal standing with wigfrid in my books.

14 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

Crockpots are the biggest noob trap (one exception:jellybeans) for healing disguised as a "pro" mechanic...

Seems weird to call it a noob trap, blue mushrooms have a worse spoilage time and you of course have to deal with potential sanity issues caused by it, in the middle of a fight nightmare creatures needlessly complicate things. Healing salves take as much if not more time to use in the middle of battle, and honey poultice outheals pierogi but requires you to base very close to a swamp to reasonably save time gathering, as well as maintain a decent bee farm.

Pierogi is really easy to make and only needs multiple crock pots to save time for some of the best healing for the time wasted making them, one trip to lunar island and you have the vegetable filler for life, and you just need a few spider nests nearby to farm monster meat for the meat and egg. Once you get these two things set up it becomes the cheapest available form of healing, for not much time. If you're going on a long trip to, say, the ruins then I can see the strength of regular healing items but for everyday healing food is the best for fights. 

Perhaps i'm missing something extra, and I can see the use cases for regular healing, but I just don't understand how it can be considered a noob trap unless you just don't properly plan ahead for fights where you'd need healing. Please enlighten me!

Since there is a lot of talk between Food vs Medicine. This is how I see it:
Food + : Easy to make and powerful early on. Great for speed running
Food - : Spoils making the effects worse over time.
Medicine + : No Spoilage time
Medicine - : Very resource intensive, Active Healing rather than Passive

2 minutes ago, Evelo said:

Since there is a lot of talk between Food vs Medicine. This is how I see it:
Food + : Easy to make and powerful early on. Great for speed running
Food - : Spoils making the effects worse over time.
Medicine + : No Spoilage time
Medicine - : Very resource intensive, Active Healing rather than Passive

Something to keep in mind though is healing food also comes from passive sources and often in greater bulk then medicine personally I feel like the best healing is potatos(outside of jellybeans) combined with the salt box they last a long time in bulk and bundling wraps allow you to keep them fresh on long trips overall I see food as superior to medicine simply due to game mechanics favoring food over it. That being said I do feel too many under rate medicine and it not needing fluff to keep it stocked.

51 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

(as Cheggf said you gather glands passively by farming spiders for silk)

What do you use all that silk for? Not judging just curious.

2 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

healing food also comes from passive sources and often in greater bulk then medicine

"Medicine - (Con): Active Healing rather than Passive"
You are very much correct and it is a downside of medicines to consider.

8 hours ago, MadMatt said:

Snip

Noob trap as people generally spam way too much healing food than they need (40 pierogi spoiling for Falkenpelz lol). The amount of time you save by not using crockpots is insane. 

Blue caps are great for ruins rush healing where you want to be fighting nightmares for fuel to craft gear anyway. Quick to amass and spam.

Healing salves can be crafted anywhere at anytime, with ingredients that dont rot or require crockpots... you only need around 3-4 salves at most for dragonfly if you kite with marble armour.

High grade armour like thulecite crowns and marble suits (easily obtained first autumn too) massively reduce your need for excessive healing so the odd healing salve here an there is more than enough! 

Klaus, ancient guardian, shadow pieces, moose/bearger/deerclops, crab king, malbatross, twins (can heal in siesta during day, fight takes a few nights anyway) and antlion. These bosses do not require any consumable healing at all to kill (if wearing a crown) and are fairly easy to kite. That is the majority of boss fights in this game. You can easily save enough salves for fighting the other bosses if you are farming spiders anyway.

Why waste time with crockpots?

28 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

Why waste time with crockpots?

I suppose it's a matter of preference then, other than blue caps for ruins rushing I really think that one minute's difference in preparation for a few bosses is not worth worrying about. Seems that salves are also quite useless if you just don't get hit :P

I suppose you are right about it being a trap for noobs who mismanage their spoilage though, I suppose. But still, it's fairly easy to learn when bosses will arrive/when you are ready to fight them even if you don't excel in other areas of the game.

3 minutes ago, MadMatt said:

I suppose it's a matter of preference then, other than blue caps for ruins rushing I really think that one minute's difference in preparation for a few bosses is not worth worrying about. Seems that salves are also quite useless if you just don't get hit :P

True, healing is overrated in general but salves dont rot or dont need bundling wrap so are alot nicer to stockpile, any chip damage i gather overtime from basic fights, i eventually heal with tent/siesta when my health gets too low, while my character is afk in tent, i go do other real life things for a minute (snacks or toilet). Works out well for my playstyle.

Yeah it is a matter of preference, but saying healing food is the greatest thing ever and medicine doesn't compare or hold up against it, is just not true at all!

Wormwood is very powerful for his lack of dependence on food in general, he can eat raw monster meat/red caps or anything bad! Saving so much time on cooking foods. Wormwood is great for solo or teamplay, making him one of the best all round characters in the game! 

8 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

Yeah it is a matter of preference, but saying healing food is the greatest thing ever and medicine doesn't compare or hold up against it, is just not true at all!

I actually totally agree with this, healing salves seem like a very good use for an otherwise underutilized mob drop, and people should consider non food items for healing more. I exclusively crock pot foods though because I can't be bothered to farm ashes and main Woodie so having healing that also satiates hunger after a transformation is a double whammy for me. Good convo! :) 

Salves only heal 20 health and have a longer animation, I prefer 40 health heals. Of course not everyone is as crazy as me when it comes to spamming healing food lol. Once I have a bundling wrap to completely negate spoilage, I like to prepare packages whenever ingredients and time are sufficient.

Both of them are good and offer their own advantages. Food is easier to intentionally amass, items are easier to accidentally obtain. Food has faster animations, items never spoil. Overall food is better if you're unfamiliar with a boss fight and need a lot of healing and items are better for when you're more familiar and need less healing, since you won't waste anything rotting after the fight. I use both frequently and sometimes even use both in a single fight, you shouldn't pick between better spam healing and easier convenience. Use whichever is right for the situation.

There's also bat bats which heal with no animation since it's a weapon.

On 8/31/2022 at 7:39 PM, Evelo said:

"Medicine - (Con): Active Healing rather than Passive"
You are very much correct and it is a downside of medicines to consider.

I feel like your confused but considering what you quoted I can't figure out how.

12 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Both of them are good and offer their own advantages.

I use both frequently and sometimes even use both in a single fight, you shouldn't pick between better spam healing and easier convenience. Use whichever is right for the situation.

Agree

Food is easier to intentionally amass, items are easier to accidentally obtain.

I don't understand this one unless your actively hunting spiders for specific drops or setup a spider auto farm I don't really see how one accidentally obtains a steady supply of healing items you have to do so intentionally both sides require intent.

Overall food is better if you're unfamiliar with a boss fight and need a lot of healing and items are better for when you're more familiar and need less healing, since you won't waste anything rotting after the fight.

Honestly this is the balance they should have but bundling wraps throw a wrench into it a player who is experienced at boss fights is likely going to kill bee queen which removes this distinction 

4 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

I don't understand this one unless your actively hunting spiders for specific drops or setup a spider auto farm I don't really see how one accidentally obtains a steady supply of healing items you have to do so intentionally both sides require intent.

I live off the land in dst, cooked monster meat is my primary food source... Spiders provide core resources for most characters:

• Monster meat for woby/walter
  • Monster meat for woodies forms
  • Silk for winonas trusty tape
  • Silk for sewing kit for willows bernie
  • Wormwood can live off raw monster meat, silk is useful for tents/siesta for healing him or any character.
  • Webber needs all of the spider drops for his crafts.
  • Silk is in alot of recipes
  • Spider glands for salves.

Plenty more reasons to farm spiders than what ive stated, like you should always farm spider dens when you walk past them.

Tbh you will need to farm even more spiders to get monster meat to convert to eggs for crockpot healing food. Why not just use strong armour and healing salves you get passively anyway and forget about crockpots? As long as you wear a crown or marble suit for bosses, you don't need alot of healing even less if you are playing in a team! 

Cooked monster food is the pro version of meatballs hehe

4 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Honestly this is the balance they should have but bundling wraps throw a wrench into it a player who is experienced at boss fights is likely going to kill bee queen which removes this distinction 

But jellybeans don't need wrapped and completely replace the need to bundle healing food as they outclass all medicine + healing food. So bundling wrap in itself is replaced by jellybeans lol there is absolutely no reason to bundle food if playing solo beyond it being a late game luxury...  

My late game luxury is bundling 40 corn as wurt, just cause her hunger is so high at 250 (so i dont need to unwrap often) for hunger and jellybeans (nothing is better) for healing. But there is more than enough food in the world to live a solo nomadic lifestyle without crockpot food for hunger or health.

5 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

If you have bundling wrap you have jellybeans which are better than both food and items.

Archived