I havent tried shine bug rad generator but is it any better than pip rad generator?

2 hours ago, NewWorldDan said:

Compressed nuclear waste is still the most effective rad bolt generator.

Are you sure? as you need 50~90 tons nuclear waste per tile to reach the same amount of rad/cycle as 31 pips rad generator.

7 hours ago, Tranoze said:

Are you sure? as you need 50~90 tons nuclear waste per tile to reach the same amount of rad/cycle as 31 pips rad generator.

The research reactor puts out 1 ton of nuclear waste per cycle. It builds up fast. Also, for the pip reactor, you still need that many wheezewort seeds. If you've only got a dozen seeds, well, then that's all you can do. While there is effectively no limit to how much waste you can produce. Furthermore, you can pump it and ship it to anywhere you happen to need it.

Anyway, my main point was that hundreds of shine bugs can seriously wreck your frame rate, especially late game. I haven't built one since the updates this summer, and I don't think it's as bad as it was, but nuclear waste is still my preferred route. Of course, work with whatever resources you happen to have. 

13 hours ago, NewWorldDan said:

The research reactor puts out 1 ton of nuclear waste per cycle. It builds up fast. Also, for the pip reactor, you still need that many wheezewort seeds. If you've only got a dozen seeds, well, then that's all you can do. While there is effectively no limit to how much waste you can produce. Furthermore, you can pump it and ship it to anywhere you happen to need it.

Anyway, my main point was that hundreds of shine bugs can seriously wreck your frame rate, especially late game. I haven't built one since the updates this summer, and I don't think it's as bad as it was, but nuclear waste is still my preferred route. Of course, work with whatever resources you happen to have. 

Doesn't nuclear waste leak out liquid container?

I had used a somewhat absurd setup of auto-pilot rocket (dupe gets dropped off immediately post launch) with the crew cabin consist of an infinite compression of nuclear waste storage with pumps to pump it out.

17 hours ago, UberFubarius said:

Doesn't nuclear waste leak out liquid container?

it does, but if you use infinite storage made out of airflow tiles it stay there and it will be condensed to one tile on top of that, increasing radiating efficiency

To answer the OP's question. No, not better but different use case.

I am just not sure where it would fit into my tech progression... at the point in the game where I have 20+ wheeze seeds and enough pip's to simul-plant them I probably already have the ability to put up a nuke (very map and start dependt of course). I like a modest shine-bug farm early on since you can get radbolts, a bit of power and some lime and then I tend to transition* into a nuke build for more power and radbolts for the frame rate reasons described. 

So yeah... 10/10 for interesting use of mechanics (and as such thanks for posting... awesome) but not my early game go to (few normally planted wheeze / small shine reactor) or late game (nuke) for me.

*Decomissioning shine bug reactor - build a room around the shine bug farm so that they don't reproduce anymore then release / kill the last few bugs when safe radiation levels are achieved.

6 hours ago, Ceos said:

at the point in the game where I have 20+ wheeze seeds and enough pip's to simul-plant them I probably already have the ability to put up a nuke (very map and start dependt of course).

You should look up for seed splitter/generator (example this one https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/133161-the-sleet-wheat-replicator/ ), very useful for making wanted mutant seeds and wheeze seeds early game. Taming and mutiply pips is not that much of problem, and they cause much less lag after you kill the pips, unlike shinebugs cause lag all the time during their life time.

Archived