The sleet wheat replicator

Hello Dupes and Dupettes,

Have you ever patiently waited hundreds of cycles for those damn sleet wheat plants to generate more exuberant seeds, only to get distracted for a moment and find out that an overzealous dupe mashed them into berry sludge? You did uh?

Well, fret not! Kiss goodbye to those days of sadness, grief and spite. Let me present you..  the sleet wheat replicator! (cool name uh)

SleetWheatReplicator.thumb.jpg.53c7aef7f78a3c9aca77ce7edfbc2478.jpg

I was inspired by Luma Plays' video, however dispenser and storage bin based fractioning methods do not work with sleet wheat. So I decided to take on the challenge and devised this little contraption, with the goal of it being a "fire and forget" machine.

The conveyor loader on the right is loaded with 999 kgs and 990 grams of material, iron ore in this case. It also accepts sleet wheat. The conveyor loader on the left only accepts sleet wheat, with a lower priority. One seed is sufficient to start the machine.

A pip will grab the seed and plant it in the natural tile. After some time the door will close, drowning the plant. The seed will drop on the adjacent pressure plate, which opens the door and activates the autosweeper. 10 grams of seed are placed in the right loader and the remainder goes to the left loader, which sends it out.

The conveyor rail sensor on the left detects the seed passing and activates the right loader via memory toggle. The loader ejects the seed first and some filler material, the rail sensor on the right detects the 10 grams of seed passing, shutting down the loader via memory toggle. The conveyor filter takes the filler material and drops it on the pressure plate below the sweeper. This activates the sweeper again, which refills the right loader to 999.99 kgs. The fraction of seed goes on to the pip zone, and the cycle repeats.

SleetConv.thumb.jpg.8a8fa3f8b279155a923454225437d5d5.jpg

Conveyor is pretty basic, automation as follows. There is not much space in there!

SleetAuto.thumb.jpg.9dcca6cfec2bb49d63556e6409772094.jpg

The buffer gate directly below the door dictates how much time the door will remain open. The other 100s buffer gate is redundant, left over from testing, can be removed allowing for the whole automation to fit inside the box. The filter gates by the pressure plates prevent hiccups in case pips decide to take a swim (they sometimes do). On the left the failsafe not/filter gate will open the door if the seed pressure plate remains empty, i. e. no seed has been generated, for 200 seconds. The switch is to manually force the door open.

Times are slightly longer than what is set due to the filter gates on the pressure plates, also because the master buffer gate gets reset when the sweeper refills the right conveyor.

Works pretty good! Hope you enjoy, and sincerely hope that this NEVER gets patched. I tend to not use "exploits", by my definition of "exploit", but this one is too fun and useful. So, it's clearly not an exploit! It's a feature! In fact, I wish I could disable the automatic updates. Might just play with no internet for a while... just to be safe... :wilson_blush:

Here's a link to Luma Plays' video. He tinkers with storage bins and dispensers, which work with the other plants.

Cya!

Havok

Since this thing worked so well I decided to make a version that works with all seeds, except dasha saltvine.

SeedDuper.thumb.jpg.6b3b53c44a1d91677c12ff9d7865a3d5.jpg

It's also much more pip friendly! Thay ain't glum anymore. Got rid of most of the automation, relying on autosweeper placement instead. The sweeper is always on, when a seed exits the machine the cycle restarts. The two switches can force the door to be open or closed. There's still the failsafe timer.

SeedDuperAuto.thumb.jpg.596b1c705a16cf5ca9c954b037b73e7a.jpg

Long live conveyors! I really wish there was a plant sensor, to get rid of the timer automation.

Peace

Havok

I see, it uses a mechanism to "split" the seed into two containers (based on capacity restrictions), and then you replant the "smaller" seed.  Rinse and repeat.

Interesting exploit.  Maybe the growth rate should be proportional to the percentage of seed planted?  Plant 10% of a seed, and it takes 10 times longer to mature

55 minutes ago, blueberry pi said:

What about saturn critter traps? The pip would get swallowed by the plant.

Saturn Critter traps don't drown. They still stifle and have the "drowning" status, but nothing happens. Don't know if it's a bug. Probably.

Anyways, being it a farm tile and not a natural tile, the plant stifles instantly due to lack of irrigation and has no time to eat the pip. At least on my pc.

2 minutes ago, silverbluep said:

Can pips plant anything other than sleet wheat? The doors seem like they would disable the planting for plants that are 2 tall.

The second version works with almost everything, except dasha saltvine (too short), saturn critter traps, waterweed and thimble reed (they don't drown). Pips ignore restrictions like tiles and foreground objects when planting and will happily place a seed that turns into an entombed plant, as one can see on the arborea asteroid.

arbortreepip.thumb.jpg.5ad3643c7bc5d3d90ec3c11644d65b07.jpg

They can even plant pincha pepperplants while the doors are closed, without facing the farm tile. They plant the seed on the door, but the plant grows on the farm tile and instantly gets entombed. Quite efficient with doors always closed!

3 hours ago, SackMaggie said:

Doesn't this mean I don't have to plant stuff but duplicate seed to feed pacu.

Prob not.
The exploit "splits" one 1kg seed into two seeds (999g), (1g).  The 1g seed then is perfectly viable to plant.

If you feed them to pacu I imagine they still have a KG to Calorie conversion.

13 hours ago, boiledDupe said:

Prob not.
The exploit "splits" one 1kg seed into two seeds (999g), (1g).  The 1g seed then is perfectly viable to plant.

If you feed them to pacu I imagine they still have a KG to Calorie conversion.

Yeah but what if you also plant that 999g seed as well? That will be 2 kg seed then feed 1 to pacu and repeat.

Why not replicate the seed further through fractional storeage first? Could you not get at least 25 fractional seeds to plant from every whole seed?

Just set the fist container to hold 500 grams then send the remainder to a container set to 250 grams and then 125 and so on. If you wanted to you should also be able to mover the 500 gram seed to a loader that splits it down as well...

9 minutes ago, Slavon Blue said:

Why not replicate the seed further through fractional storeage first? Could you not get at least 25 fractional seeds to plant from every whole seed?

Just set the fist container to hold 500 grams then send the remainder to a container set to 250 grams and then 125 and so on. If you wanted to you should also be able to mover the 500 gram seed to a loader that splits it down as well...

Sleet wheat can't be stored in standard containers, and you can't set max capacity on loaders. You have to manually fill them and perform some shenanigans to stop and refill them.

If you ignore sleet wheat you could use dispensers and storage bins to achieve the same result with much less effort, since you can set max capacity on them. You could scale this up by a lot. Or you could just place an enormous amount of almost full loaders and get many seed fractions, but I don't think it would be that much fun to setup. Just remember to not stack the fractions or they'll combine.

Industrial mass replication of a seed is way beyond the scope of this machine. I wanted something compact, automated, not brutally overpowered and not downright ugly. What I needed from this was small amounts of something I already have and:

- I can't be bothered to roll the dice for again, for potentially hundreds of cycles. I don't want to let the game run overnight just to finish some projects. (looking at you, exuberant mealwood) Or

- I just can't have. Like three more bliss burst, and two more sporechids.

Sporechids that would fit perfectly in my slickster ranch, and I really miss that exuberant sleet wheat grains that someone mashed into berry sludge.

Archived