Wickerbottom Buffs vs Nerfs since Beta came out

There have been a few of people (2 being a bit aggressive about it) that have been saying Wickerbottom has gotten "nothing but nerfs since the Beta".  This seemed a bit disingenuous, so I went back to check it out.  From what I was able to find, here are the changes she has had since the Beta started:

• Bookcase
    • Nerf (recipe with living logs)
    • Buff (rate of regen was doubled - pretty huge and rarely mentioned, now need a lot less of every single book, astronomical change compared to pre-Beta)
  • Overcoming arachnophobia
    • Buff (recipe)
    • Buff (effect increased, duration increased)
  • Lunar grimoire
    • Nerf (recipe)
  • Lux aeterna
    • Buff (recipe)
  • Angler's survival
    • Buff (recipe)
  • Practical rain
    • Nerf (recipe)
  • Apicultural notes
    • Nerf (# of bees, followed by buff to # of bees, but overall nerf)
    • Buff (uses)
  • Horticultural
    • Buff (things it can make grow, how many stages some things grow)
  • Tempering temperatures
    • Buff (uses)

I may have missed some or gotten some wrong since it's a bit difficult to track changes vs what is live - feel free to point out below, but the general takeaway is the same either way.  

Basically - there are more buffs than nerfs overall.  People can try to argue that the nerfs are overall more impactful than the buffs, which is an opinion that can vary person to person, but people claiming that Wickerbottom has gotten "nothing but nerfs" and that "no community suggestions are being heard", are being overdramatic and inaccurate.  It seems like there is a bit of a weird reception of changes where buffs get scanned over, and nerfs trigger huge responses.  

As a final note - the rework as a whole was a pretty large buff.  The existence of the bookcase at all, and all of the above mentioned books, are huge for Wickerbottom.  Having meltdowns over any change that isn't a buff and making antagonistic posts towards Klei like "0 backbone as always" does not seem like the right response here.  

Just @ me next time perhaps :lol:

4 minutes ago, Koomin said:

Basically - there are more buffs than nerfs overall.  People can try to argue that the nerfs are overall more impactful than the buffs, which is an opinion that can vary person to person

Unless ur being disingenuous i dont think ud have to argue very hard at all. On one side we have the removal of 1 firefly and on the other we have the addition of an opal and two moth wings.

One tiny apple and one planet sized orange. 

9 minutes ago, Koomin said:

Apicultural notes

• Nerf (# of bees, followed by buff to # of bees, but overall nerf)
  • Buff (uses)

And nerf to the number of bees summoned from 3 to 2 for each read. Meaning u have to spend more sanity and have more copies to reach the new limit of 16 without having to wait for recharges. 

and what do u mean “buff (uses)” its still three uses like im sure its always been. 

10 minutes ago, Koomin said:

Overcoming arachnophobia

• Buff (recipe)

IIRC the old recipe was a small amount of silk and a small amount of glands now its a big amount of silk. This is not a buff. 

11 minutes ago, Koomin said:

Horticultural

• Buff (things it can make grow, how many stages some things grow)

Literal bug fixes not buffs. AH could always grow lichen and HA could grow figs until the refresh broke something. 

You may not like what ive been saying or how ive been saying it but i havent said anything that isnt true. And i certainly am not the only person to hold these opinions, plenty of people agree with them as well. 

1 hour ago, Koomin said:

Buff (rate of regen was doubled - pretty huge and rarely mentioned, now need a lot less of every single book, astronomical change compared to pre-Beta)

regen is the same since the beginning

1 hour ago, Ohan said:

small amount of silk and a small amount of glands

it was 6 silk and 2 glands

1 hour ago, Ohan said:

Literal bug fixes not buffs.

op refers to the buff that makes things grow all stages with 1 book use rather than 1 stage per 1 use

I would like to add that not even the suggestion to make the shelf more dynamic happened, but the extremely niche update on Wurt's animations did happen. I'm not saying that the update on Wurt was bad, Wurt is the character I play the most I loved the change, but the focus shouldn't be her. I also don't know how difficult it would be to add this to her library, but...

Angler's Survival is not necessarily a buff, but rather a change, before it needed a fishing rod, but now it needs a float that needs the Tackle Receptacle done (Everything Encyclopedia can help I think, but that means more Reeds and an Electrical Doodad ), nothing too worrisome, I believe they changed because you already need a fishing rod anyway.

Overcoming Arachnophobia has changed as little as possible, it's actually shameful the way it was before, it would be more shameful if it stayed the same. It's still bad though.

Tempering Temperatures wasn't quite the amount of uses that were the problem, right? There's not much to say here. And Horticulture is kind of worse than the previous version, but that's not much of an issue for me personally, whatever, I like the way it works.

But my problem is not with the nerfs, the only thing I took from this update is that Wortox is now fun as hell and it's one of Klei's best "reworks" just not above WX- 78 which is is simply on another level.

42 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

it was 6 silk and 2 glands

Right! Thank you. I remember the old silk+gland amount equaled the new silk number but i forgot the exact numbers i thought it was 4/4. 

Not a game changing nerf ofcourse and it feels silly to list it as one but it definitely also isnt a buff like OP said. I think in most scenarios u’ll sooner get 6 silk and 2 glands than 8 silk. 

regen is the same since the beginning

I wasnt 100% sure on this and didnt have a way to confirm so thanks for doing it. 

op refers to the buff that makes things grow all stages with 1 book use rather than 1 stage per 1 use

In addition to this ^ OP also mentioned ‘things it can grow’ as a buff which im assuming they mean figs and lichen by which were bug fixes. Being able to grow mush planters is indeed a brand new addition though im 99% sure. I cant remember the last time i built one as wicker.. :lol:

Im also 95% sure the stone fruit/banana bush buff was also listed as a bug fix, which surprised me then too. 

52 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Being able to grow mush planters is indeed a brand new addition though im 99% sure. I cant remember the last time i built one as wicker.

You can grow Mushrooms in Mushroom Planters w/ Horti.

I used to do it a lot before Kelp was introduced.

This seems like a bit of a strange comparison whether or not they're buffing or nerfing the items they just added. In reality all of that stuff is a buff because it just got added to the character, the consecutive buffs and nerfs while it's in beta is just some pre-release balancing. Increasing Wickerbottom's susceptibility to food rot is a nerf. And I get that the discussion is about nerfing stuff while in the beta, but all of this stuff is supposed to be super variable while the devs try to find that sweet spot.

4 hours ago, Koomin said:

Buff (rate of regen was doubled - pretty huge and rarely mentioned, now need a lot less of every single book, astronomical change compared to pre-Beta)

When was this? Are you sure you aren't just standing near it? I heard that if Wickerbottom is near the bookcase it repairs at double speed. 

34 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

When was this? Are you sure you aren't just standing near it? I heard that if Wickerbottom is near the bookcase it repairs at double speed. 

I do remember this being brought up during one of the updates but it not being listed in the patch notes so whether or not it was true or not is unknown.

10 hours ago, Catteflyterpill said:

This seems like a bit of a strange comparison whether or not they're buffing or nerfing the items they just added. In reality all of that stuff is a buff because it just got added to the character, the consecutive buffs and nerfs while it's in beta is just some pre-release balancing. Increasing Wickerbottom's susceptibility to food rot is a nerf. And I get that the discussion is about nerfing stuff while in the beta, but all of this stuff is supposed to be super variable while the devs try to find that sweet spot.

You’ve missed the point. Ofcourse balance changes are to be expected.

The issue is that they only go one way and continue to neglect the lacklustre aspects about her in favor of doing a whole bunch of other side quests like… a fencing sword. This has been repeated many times by now by myself and others. Pretty simple point. And many suggestions have been given to remedy those lacklustre aspects. 

Also really gotta love people cheering on a gotcha thread full of inaccuracies and misinformation 

But i guess thats business as usual lately in the beta forums. :lol:

Archived