fencing swords should be boosted by extending their attack range

So fencing swords added in update 516976 is treated mainly as a sort of weapon. As a tool it has irreplaceable capabilities but honestly, I don't think it deserves to be a weapon of choice. It's nothing more than a spear with extra 50 points of durability, and it takes two more flints to craft. Of course it is originally intended to be a tool, but it feels inconsistent just to think that in-game characters are actually expecting to use it for fighting. The sword definitely needs a buff of sort. It doesn't have to be super strong or dealing damage greater than even Wigfrid's battle spear, just having a little bit of unique perk would be a good reason to use it. 
My perspective is that giving it an attack range of two or three wall tiles would be a good way to boost it. Melee weapons of extended range in DST are mainly whip-types and are either not too convenient to obtain or being powerful but character-specific, so long attack range can be a scarce trait. Another reason lore-wise is that I see that the sword actually uses the unused "thrusting" animation originally applied to spears, so it makes sense just to think that it reaches further than most blades or blunt weapons that requires the user to swipe them. If the sword has its attack range extended it'll still be a mediocre weapon with no outstanding base damage or durability, but at least it provides some sort of safety, somehow consistent with how you try to avoid getting hit when doing actual fencing LOL

Just now, thewalkingcamel said:

thread

I like the recipe because you have to recraft with less. I skip the spear is because the durability and cost of twigs/grass and not the cost of flints, so having some additional use out of the materials to compete with hambat could be cool. Though making additional range less unique to Wanda would be a plus, I think regular is fine. A unique thing I discovered about the weapon that it's recoil is slower than standard tool/weapon but you can attack cancel at the same speed.

But like. It's a weapon purely for the pun. It could be wrench instead but that's not funny. "Fencing sword" for adjusting fences, that's hilarious, it deals any damage at all to be consistent.

I'd rather get a proper new weapon that was made with damage in mind, not redecoration.

You can say what you want but I will still use this "weapon" to refresh my spear early game on casual playthroughs because it looks great and its animation is something different.

I have such a good time stabbing those hounds that I start to worry about myself sometimes.

On a serious note: I would love it to just have a little higher damage of 51. Long lasting and cheap Cork Bat would be a surprisingly good weapon for everyday emergency fights.

Why do you guys want this to be a good weapon so bad? It attacks slow and does bad damage, it is clearly made for riposting fences. Asking for buffs to this makes as much sense as buffs for a hammer or pickaxe. 

28 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Why do you guys want this to be a good weapon so bad? It attacks slow and does bad damage, it is clearly made for riposting fences. Asking for buffs to this makes as much sense as buffs for a hammer or pickaxe. 

Well they could just add it as a pure tool like fishing rods/bug nets, stuffs like that. But nope, and even characters think it as a weapon LOL

1 hour ago, thewalkingcamel said:

Well they could just add it as a pure tool like fishing rods/bug nets, stuffs like that. But nope, and even characters think it as a weapon LOL

Yeah cause it's funny af. I genuinely can't think of anything else they've ever done that comes anywhere close to being as funny as the fencing sword being made to riposte fences. The only possible issue I can see with it is it might confuse new players, but that confusion will be cleared right up when they try to fight a weak enemy with it and see it has spear damage. 

10 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Well let’s see.. because I want a weapon that’s slightly better then a Spear but isn’t as wasteful as the Darkswords I use to slaughter Cookie Cutters with..?

I hate these things.. they jump on your boat then stun-lock you in place while they tear holes in the boat, currently I’ve started using Darkswords to murder them all (laughs diabolically) but I’d rather just have something that isn’t going to spoil over time (Hambat) and is a bit better than my go to easy to craft weapon of choice (spear)

Spears also have ALOT of skins for them.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

and is a bit better than my go to easy to craft weapon of choice (spear)

Spears also have ALOT of skins for them.

but spear is better than fensword

everyone should just leave this weapon as a tool, more range, aoe and knockback is really fun but this is literally a tool, id hate they give those stuff to this weapon that has horrible dps and most will just use "because its funny" but will grow up tired of it very quickly since it cant kill stuff consistently 

tl;dr just wait until they add another weapon, not a tool

On 8/1/2022 at 12:03 PM, thewalkingcamel said:

Neither of those things is a "pure tool". You can hit stuff with them. You just shouldn't.

They just gave it some mild weapon-level damage because it is, in fact, a weapon. That doesn't mean it should be a good one.

8 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

They just gave it some mild weapon-level damage because it is, in fact, a weapon. That doesn't mean it should be a good one.

I kind of disagree with this, watching any zombie movie ever can express how much I disagree with this- people can be seen using Screwdrivers to fix broken stuff, break stuff open (glass windows, wooden boxes, food cans etc..) and shove them into zombie heads if they need to.

Would carrying a sword or a gun be more effective? Well yes.. and both those things can still be used to break glass/containers etc.. But the Screwdriver can fix broken things, while the Sword may only be effective at keeping a door closed.

My point is that it doesn’t hurt to have an item in the game that is good at doing more then one thing.. it can be a tool & a weapon at the same time.

Will it be as effective as using a Darksword? Well err no.. but it shouldn’t have to be either.

Archived