I just spawned into what seems like cave light

I logged in at the end of dusk, and when it turned dark, the spot where my character was standing was filled with light. Looks like cave light or Portal light.

No, I didn't use the book. 

Just reporting it, in case it's a bug with the Beta version.

image.thumb.png.520d95a043952832ebaf6df12d8b5019.png

17 minutes ago, Finglas said:

Oh damn, I didn't know this was a mechanic, it also lasted the entire night time, so... well that's kinda busted, TIL.

Thanks!

It's for players reconnecting so that they're not caught unprepared when reconnecting to a server without any info. There is also a mechanic that will randomly kill the player if the game suspects someone is abusing this feature. (ie disconnecting right before nighttime then re-logging immediately) The death message is "'player' was killed by shenanigans."

1 hour ago, dzzydzzy said:

It's for players reconnecting so that they're not caught unprepared when reconnecting to a server without any info. There is also a mechanic that will randomly kill the player if the game suspects someone is abusing this feature. (ie disconnecting right before nighttime then re-logging immediately) The death message is "'player' was killed by shenanigans."

sounds like sort of urban myth?

1 hour ago, Notecja said:

It's not. I see people get killed by it somewhat frequently, then they usually disconnect for real. 

3 hours ago, Finglas said:

Oh damn, I didn't know this was a mechanic, it also lasted the entire night time, so... well that's kinda busted, TIL.

Thanks!

It also protects your temperature. Or maybe only the florid postern one does. I don't remember since I don't really make these lights often. 

5 hours ago, dzzydzzy said:

There is also a mechanic that will randomly kill the player if the game suspects someone is abusing this feature. (ie disconnecting right before nighttime then re-logging immediately) The death message is "'player' was killed by shenanigans."

I don't know when but this actually became much more punishing at some point. It is not random anymore. If you disconnect right before night starts, or during the night, without a light source the game will kill you when you log in. You can still abuse this but you'd have to leave during the daytime which is 

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

It's not. I see people get killed by it somewhat frequently, then they usually disconnect for real. 

O.o Guess I will need to try it. Because I sometimes abuse it, but more on cave entraces

It's just for players joining a server during dusk/night. They would have no idea it's night and may have nothing for light. It lasts the whole night so players don't spawn in and instantly get killed by Charlie. It's deff not intended to abuse

10 hours ago, Ornge said:

I don't know when but this actually became much more punishing at some point. It is not random anymore. If you disconnect right before night starts, or during the night, without a light source the game will kill you when you log in. You can still abuse this but you'd have to leave during the daytime which is 

From what I've seen what happens now is the game leaves your character in game for a undetermined amount of seconds when you disconnect to avoid abuse.

11 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

From what I've seen what happens now is the game leaves your character in game for a undetermined amount of seconds when you disconnect to avoid abuse.

Disconnecting during the death animation seems to be what causes the "killed by Shenanigans" message, whenever the game doesn't know what killed you, it just says Shenanigans instead.

On 7/25/2022 at 8:13 AM, Notecja said:

No, it's a feature. I was once killed like that due to me reconnecting too many times in short time period (3 times per day, I believe): I was in the caves and due to bad connection had to rejoin server couple of times (I was exloring grotto without light source equipped, so maybe that's the reason, although I didn't abuse feature and could survive without it). I also saw this feature in some youtube videos.

Archived