Tips for new players!

It's good practice to have a light source on you, so you don't get caught at night by surprise. When you have an alchemy engine you can hammer away your science machine since the alchemy engine grants access to the same + more recipes. Make a crockpot to cook food rather than scarfing it all down and running out. Learn the attack patterns of enemies, a lot of fighting in the game is kiting meaning you bait out an attack and then get a few hits in before they attack again. 

Check out the "Any unknown mechanics to share?" thread. A lot, and I mean A LOT, of good advice there. Around page 52 all the useful information up to that point was compiled into a comprehensive bunch of lists, and it's available for download as well if you want to add to it yourself.

I have a link to it in my signature if you're interested.

Play the game at your own pace and try to figure out as much as you can on your own, because knowledge or lack thereof rather means everything, and once you learn/spoil something you can’t go back & experience it for the first time over again.

play as Woodie & eat something called Itchy Goose Idol. ;) 

You can rollback to a previous day to undo a mistake youve done

Using rollback can sometimes make your experience less exciting and the mistakes less impactful, dont use rollbacks always, maybe figure out a way to fix your mistake naturally, only use rollbacks if you are kinda spoiled and dont feel like starting over.

If you are a new player, learn how to use the crockpot to make meatballs (generally 1 meat item and 3 non-monster food items). After that, learn how to feed 4 monster meat to a pig to get pig skin, and make yourself a Football Helmet from an Alchemy Engine (the 2nd tier crafting station). You should be set to explore now. :) 

Oh and sleeping in Tents & Siesta Lean-To's will be able to heal back up your Health and your Sanity.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Play the game at your own pace and try to figure out as much as you can on your own, because knowledge or lack thereof rather means everything, and once you learn/spoil something you can’t go back & experience it for the first time over again.

Based! Do this! 

I recommend exploring the edges of the entire world so you have an idea where all the biomes are. Each biome has certain resources you will need. I try to get a stack of all essential resources and dig some up to replant at your base, so u'll need a backpack. Activate touch Stone's you find and hammer down any pig heads on spikes for free pigskin to make a football helmet. Make sure you have a helmet on at all times (until winter when not fighting)  Wetness is punishing so get urself an umbrella. Start planning for the next season well before it comes. Good Winter items to have are a beefalo hat and thermal stone. Have fun and don't give up! Learn from your deaths and believe me we have all been there and have died a crap ton so don't stress

P.s. you may want to turn off wildfires at first and find a few foods to manage each stat efficiently.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

play as Woodie & eat something called Itchy Goose Idol. ;) 

this is the most important advice for games like this

You should check these threads out, They're really helpful for newer players ^^

Here is a useful tip of my own

I recommend keeping a light source on you, being a lantern, torch, etc. DON'T, however, use a campfire, because it's best for you to explore during the night instead of camping in one spot (unless you're going to fight deerclops through tanking)

Also, make sure to play and learn at your own pace, there's no need to rush what you need to learn :grin:

Best advice I can give:
Always have twigs and grass on you (Personally I go for a full stack of 40 but 20 should be enough)
And ALWAYS wear a helmet. It will save your life.

Other than that:
When you find a place to place your base, build a lightning rod! It's cheap and will save you the trouble of remembering doing it right before Spring or the nerves when you notice it's raining and you recall you never placed one.
Cook your food before eating it.
Cooked veggies and berries spoils faster than fresh veggies and berries.
Cooked meat spoils slower than fresh.
Build a bird cage and place a bird in it. And learn how to make pierogies, probably the best healing food in the game.
Pig houses are a good source for pigskins and building materials (The pigskin is for the helmet, of course).
Feed a pig 4 pieces of monster meat to make it a werepig, thus giving you 2 pieces of meat and a pigskin when killed (Which is exactly what you need for a Hambat).
Finding clockwork monsters is good because they drop gears which is important to make an ice box.
Picking flowers, eating cooked cactus and cooked green mushrooms can help you with sanity issues.
You can "precraft" stuff without placing them, to later place them without using any resources. I always have a campfire premade for example.
Play with other people, many would love to help you learn the game and you can learn a new thing from every player you play with :)
And read the wiki of anything you don't know how to get or how to use. The articles are very good.

Archived