About thermal stones...

I have been playing this game for nearly a 1000 hours but there are still thing i dont get or werent really necesary to understand in order to play. And thermal stones are one of them. 

I have a few questions i hope people can answer regarding them that i couldnt get an answer for in the wiki:

1- is there any reason to carying more than one? Will more last longer? 

2- is it true that they last longer in a backpack?

3- does cloathing make it last longer? 

These sound like really stupid questions but i stayed up last night thinking about it and i couldnt really tell in game and with the wiki not being Clear about it i just made a thread about it. 

Also please share any secret techniqe ot tip regarding them. Thanks! 

6 minutes ago, bagherthegamer said:

1- is there any reason to carying more than one? Will more last longer? 

there is no reason to carry 2 termal stones, because they will loose durability after loosing temperature.

8 minutes ago, bagherthegamer said:

i tried this a lot of times, but there is no difference between carrying the stone in your backpack or outside.

9 minutes ago, bagherthegamer said:

3- does cloathing make it last longer? 

cloathing make you freeze slower, but it don't affect the termal stone

12 minutes ago, bagherthegamer said:

is there any reason to carying more than one? Will more last longer? 

It may help you reach temperatures faster but that's it, they will last the same ammount of time

8 minutes ago, bagherthegamer said:

is it true that they last longer in a backpack?

No, I don't know if they change the players temperature in Backpacks but they don't last longer in them.

9 minutes ago, bagherthegamer said:

does cloathing make it last longer? 

Clothes help you keep your temperature warmer/colder for more time but they don't affect the Thermal Stone itself.

2 hours ago, bagherthegamer said:

This misconception probably comes from Don't Starve, where thermal stones in a backpack are able to heat you to a much more extreme degree in a backpack (probably due to a bug?). In that game, you can even put two hot thermals in a backpack to make yourself overheat in winter! Or vice versa with cooling in summer. Doesn't work like that in DST though, sadly.

No, no, and no. Clothing will technically lengthen the time it takes you to freeze if you are going to start freezing but it is an inconsequential amount and it only would do so after the stone became gray. Once the stone becomes gray you are almost freezing yourself but putting clothes on at that point would give you a slight increase to how long that takes. Not worth an inventory slot and definitely not worth constantly wearing the clothes so you don't have to remember to constantly stare at your stone to see when to put them on. If you want to use clothes just use clothes on their own, they don't stack with a thermal stone. 

7 hours ago, meow meow meow said:

This misconception probably comes from Don't Starve, where thermal stones in a backpack are able to heat you to a much more extreme degree in a backpack (probably due to a bug?). In that game, you can even put two hot thermals in a backpack to make yourself overheat in winter! Or vice versa with cooling in summer. Doesn't work like that in DST though, sadly.

The good ol day's...they didn't degrade and bees had a hitbox the size of a small car

I've heard that if you bundle thermal stones then they'll retain their temperature, so some people would (allegedly) bundle 4 ultra hot stones and unpack them when they needed. Supposedly pairs well with insulated gear such as a beefalo hat or a puffy vest.

On 6/13/2022 at 7:06 PM, bagherthegamer said:

No, but they do last longer if they are dry, less when wet. And in a backpack they can't get wet, maybe that's where this originates from. On the same principle you can say food lasts longer in a backpack. 

The only reason I could see for carrying more than one is for the increase in light radius, but it's minimal anyway. It's fun to fill up your sack and inventory with lava heated stones tho, you will look like the sun :). 

and yep, you can bundle hot/cold stones and they retain temp inside wrap. 

Archived