Who or what is the "Player" ?

Question that has been bothering me the more of the "lore" bits i discover in the game.

I am getting an impression that we are just an "AI" that restarted itself and tries to rebuild "humanity" with use of Duplicants.

What do you all think?

4 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Question that has been bothering me the more of the "lore" bits i discover in the game.

I am getting an impression that we are just an "AI" that restarted itself and tries to rebuild "humanity" with use of Duplicants.

What do you all think?

Well, you are asking for spoiler. Here it is:

Spoiler

Player is AI, copied from Dr. Olivia Broussard brain against her will

And you must at least play to Cycle 1500 to have all parts of puzzle

And no, we are not rebuilding humanity. We are colonizing faraway cosmic object. But spoiler again:

Spoiler

Our cosmic mission doesn't happens, we restarted in a ruins of earth laboratory many years after catastrophe

3 hours ago, Artorias36 said:

Copy the link manualy. It redirect to reddit so maybe this forum use a protection for external links.

Yep had to copy and paste it manually

9 hours ago, Prince Mandor said:

And no, we are not rebuilding humanity. We are colonizing faraway cosmic object. But spoiler again:

Hide contents

Our cosmic mission doesn't happens, we restarted in a ruins of earth laboratory many years after catastrophe

I don't understand what you mean.

We start on a asteroid as game reminds us and a destroyed Earth like planet is visible in the distance.

So i am having trouble undestanding that "we start on earth" and "space mission didn't happen" bit.

Can you elaborate?

7 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Can you elaborate?

Okay. Read spoiler

Spoiler

There was a corporation 'Gravitas.' It worked on space colonization problems. As part of this research program they created lot of useful devices and technologies. Technology of creating duplicants, lot of strange devices, lot of genetically modified creatures and plants, some materials with unusual qualities. As part of this research they reach a 'ceiling' -- not enough energy. And director Stern with doctor Broussard decided to try their old project, from their college time. Project tearing time/space continuum to take energy from future. This project gives great result. They created some devices, like printing pod, with unlimited energy. But as always in such stories, director Stern disregard safety in attempt to solve Earth power problem. This doesn't end well. Reactor meltdown. Earth was destroyed and shattered to many pieces. Sometime in the future AI in Printing Pod activates. Having a program of colonization far away cosmic bodies by usage of duplicants, AI begins its work. But there are some strange things around. Like human created materials. Like parts of earth laboratory buried. Like shattered planet, looking like Earth. Like mass of asteroids to be exact mass missing from shattered planet. And obvious conclusion, made in 'Calculation Complete' log entry: "We aren't on the target location. We never even left home."

Do you reach surface of asteroid in vanilla game? Then you must have two Log Entries in encyclopedia. 'Surface Breach' appears after reaching space biome,  and some time after that 'Calculation Complete'. Read them carefully :)

I don't remember exactly, what is a trigger for 'The Shattered Planet' log entry, possibly just time after discovery, possibly sending ship to it. But it has useful bits of information too.

On 6/9/2022 at 4:34 PM, Prince Mandor said:

Okay. Read spoiler

Hide contents

There was a corporation 'Gravitas.' It worked on space colonization problems. As part of this research program they created lot of useful devices and technologies. Technology of creating duplicants, lot of strange devices, lot of genetically modified creatures and plants, some materials with unusual qualities. As part of this research they reach a 'ceiling' -- not enough energy. And director Stern with doctor Broussard decided to try their old project, from their college time. Project tearing time/space continuum to take energy from future. This project gives great result. They created some devices, like printing pod, with unlimited energy. But as always in such stories, director Stern disregard safety in attempt to solve Earth power problem. This doesn't end well. Reactor meltdown. Earth was destroyed and shattered to many pieces. Sometime in the future AI in Printing Pod activates. Having a program of colonization far away cosmic bodies by usage of duplicants, AI begins its work. But there are some strange things around. Like human created materials. Like parts of earth laboratory buried. Like shattered planet, looking like Earth. Like mass of asteroids to be exact mass missing from shattered planet. And obvious conclusion, made in 'Calculation Complete' log entry: "We aren't on the target location. We never even left home."

Do you reach surface of asteroid in vanilla game? Then you must have two Log Entries in encyclopedia. 'Surface Breach' appears after reaching space biome,  and some time after that 'Calculation Complete'. Read them carefully :)

I don't remember exactly, what is a trigger for 'The Shattered Planet' log entry, possibly just time after discovery, possibly sending ship to it. But it has useful bits of information too.

TL;DR:

Spoiler

*Smart people ignore health and safety produces which causes earth to blow up.

*The starting planet in vanilla is actually the remnants of the gravitas facility

*The printing pod (the player) is the scientist Olivia who is oblivious to the above until later on.

(If you play several thousand cycles, you will get notifications of Olivia falling into despair at the thought of living a eternity as a pod and disabling her personal program and initializing a autonomous program for the dupes to survive [I am unsure if Olivia is the pod for spaced out because of this fact]) https://oxygennotincluded.fandom.com/wiki/Log_Entries#Cycle_2000

Archived