Randomness in this game is what kills the fun

Just now, Guille6785 said:

again, I'm not being elitist just because I don't want half of the intermediate playerbase to be called "speedrunners"

maybe you can't relate but that downplays people's achievements because they no longer stand out

meanwhile if you save the praise for the ones that pour their heart into their craft then you are celebrating their accomplishments when it's due

pablo.gonzalez.2007 who killed dragonfly with his brother on day 18 won't feel insulted because you refuse to call him a speedrunner, but someone who has spent months practicing for a specific run to make a massive improvement in it will definitely feel undermined if you think their achievement is worth the same as pablo.gonzalez.2007's

I don't know how to tell you that putting an arbitrary gate at which you start becoming a real speedrunner and can be referred to as such is kind of elitist.

2 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

I don't know how to tell you that putting an arbitrary gate at which you start becoming a real speedrunner and can be referred to as such is kind of elitist.

we may as well never draw lines and let people be anything they want

I'm an astronaut now

4 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

again, I'm not being elitist just because I don't want half of the intermediate playerbase to be called "speedrunners"

maybe you can't relate but that downplays people's achievements because they no longer stand out

meanwhile if you save the praise for the ones that pour their heart into their craft then you are celebrating their accomplishments when it's due

think this may be the definition of elitism actually

49 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

also I'm more impressed by a slower run that worked around bad rng with their own strategies vs a faster run that bypassed it completely

It's not a speedrun, though, because it's not where the competition is at.

4 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

Its not like his example he used earlier, its like someone on first day of med school calling themselves a doctor. They are in the same area technically, but the growth in that area and dedication is what separates them. What if that person drops out of med school? In this case it would be losing interest in speedrunning after not putting that much effort into it to begin with. Its a learning process, and that is not really elitist as it is just how education works and how people are qualified for things. Anyone can try to be a doctor, not everyone is a doctor.

1 minute ago, Third Porkus said:

Anyone can try to be a doctor, not everyone is a doctor.

i think there is a very large difference between something like a doctor and a video game hobby. think there is of course a difference between something you go to medical school for, and trying to go fast in a video game

Why people insult speedrunners / megabasers / []insert your name] ?

Ive been playing this game for six years, and through all these years Ive  met so many people with so many unique playstyles, opinions and reasons why they enjoy this over this, that I actually started to have a little respect for their view of gaming...

I know people who speedruns with others because its fun to them,

I know people who plays... W E S and enjoys him, because of their love (simp) for France,

Heck, I even know people who plays "darkness only" preset because its intresting and fun to them...

If you dont understand why speedrunners enjoy speedrunning, then why bother and insult them?

Can we all just stop, take a deep breath and focus all our anger towards real enemy... WANDA A PAY TO WIN WONDERRRR 

I just find out Wanda rhymes with Wander 

3 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

we may as well never draw lines and let people be anything they want

I'm an astronaut now

Have you ever done any training for an astronaut program? Have you ever been to space?

I agree that not everybody who wants to accomplish a task quickly is a speedrunner, but saying that only the absolute best of the best get to call themselves one is nonsense. If people are making concerted efforts to hone their ability to accomplish a task as quickly as possible, they're speedrunning. They're speedrunners. And since adjectives exist and we can qualify the most adept of speedrunners as "the best" or "world record holders," it doesn't cheapen their accomplishments at all.

Just now, meow meow meow said:

i think there is a very large difference between something like a doctor and a video game hobby. think there is of course a difference between something you go to medical school for, and trying to go fast in a video game

Well its an analogy, I am not saying it takes as many 1000's of hours or expense to be a speedrunner as it takes to be a doctor, but I both are skill and education based areas that take time to learn. I am not saying speedrunners are literally doctors, but to be a good speedrunner and be an aspiring speedrunner is a similar difference to being a certified doctor and being someone in med school.

Just now, meow meow meow said:

its an analogy that doesnt really work is the thing

Well you understand what I mean though yeah? I explained the analogy so I don't think you need to focus on the analogy itself as the process behind it has been made clear now 

2 minutes ago, Third Porkus said:

but to be a good speedrunner and be an aspiring speedrunner is a similar difference to being a certified doctor and being someone in med school.

I think this is simply a matter of gatekeeping, and gatekeeping isn't good. If you're actively speedrunning a video game, then you're a speedrunner. This title can exist and people who are super dedicated to it can still feel prideful in their accomplishments on their own, even if people who aren't as such are defined under the same title. Theres not much argument here.

Thread about rather game should have less RNG becomes thread around what is or isn’t speed running, people who come to thread to discuss why game should or should not have more RNGs posts get ignored meanwhile speed running debate still ongoing- pun fully intended but I’ll be glad when it’s ran it’s course.

Please stay on topic people: And personally I want some RNG mob encounters like the ones we experience in Shipwrecked & Hamlet.

Just now, Primalflower said:

I think this is simply a matter of gatekeeping, and gatekeeping isn't good. If you're actively speedrunning a video game, then you're a speedrunner. This title can exist and people who are super dedicated to it can still feel prideful in their accomplishments on their own, even if people who aren't as such are defined under the same title. Theres not much argument here.

Well there is an argument: that it is not elitist to want barriers between doing a speedrun and being a speedrunner. Urban Dictionary has the definition of speedrunner being: Person who beats a game fast

that would differentiate actual speedrunners from aspiring speedrunners. If people cannot beat the game fast, then that is not really so much a speedrunner as it is attempting a speedrunner. It's not gatekeeping to have skill categories, no one can be in the highest degree just because they want to, they'd have to earn it. Main point is: aspiring speedrunners and someone doing speedruns  =/= a speedrunner (someone who beats the game fast)

Just now, kirihime said:

do you need to go to gardening school to call yourself a gardener

Now that is a class I would like 

as a longer reply to all this: big thing giving off the worst vibes with this whole conversation is that from my experience i don't think literally any actual speedrunning community would try to gatekeep and make such a distinction between "people who play games fast" and "the REAL speedrunners who are SERIOUS about this and SO SO SKILLED AT VIDEO GAMES like SO SO SKILLED", speedrunning communities are so welcoming and nice and supportive and i find it weird how such things are being twisted rn. i don't think the speedrunning community for any mario game would try to explain to someone why they aren't a REAL speedrunner because they aren't close to the world records yet

"Speedrunning" term seems to be thrown very loosely these days. What would its true definition be?
On surface, just from the word alone, one would assume it means to simply complete the game as fast as possible. But there's a catch - previous records, leaderboards, and stuff like that are omitted.

But now, when you start comparing your efforts to other players, for example finishing a game in 13:42 compared to the top 100 people being near 7 minutes, you start wondering - is your attempt no longer considered to be a speedrun? And if it's not, what was it then? "Rushing"? But you had a clear goal set in mind, to "speedrun" it.

I think what matters the most is the environment in which you showcase your achievements. Standards become much more harsh, with efforts being compared to those players, who invest a lot of time in perfecting techniques to make things go fast. But to an average player who simply likes to chill, you can very often impress them with your efforts.

1 minute ago, Third Porkus said:

Okay, I'll start something: Do you think that speedrunning is more rng or more skill? My opinion: skill

Depends on speedrun itself... If you use some seed and master it, Id call it determination rather than skill... 

But if you just join/generate newly world and do speedrun with fine results, than yeah, it sure is skill 

Archived