What's the general opinion on Wickerbottom?

What's the general opinion on Wickerbottom, and other various questions.  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Do you main Wickerbottom?

• Main Wicker exclusively
    • Play mostly Wicker but play other characters
    • Don't main any character and bounce around
    • Avoid playing Wicker but sometimes play her
    • Will never play Wicker
  2. 2. If you play Wicker, is it enjoyable when you play her?

• Yes
    • No
    • I do not play the character known to most as "Wickerbottom"
  3. 3. Is it enjoyable to play with a Wickerbottom?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have never played with a Wickerbottom/don't remember the experience
  4. 4. Are Wickerbottom's examination quotes interesting?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have never seen them/do not know what an examination quote is
  5. 5. What changes could be made to make Wickerbottom better?

• She is perfect as is
    • All she needs is Quality of Life changes
    • Major rework, like Willow got
    • Slight refresh, like Wigfrid got

2 minutes ago, Ohan said:
Spoiler

1 on tentacles costs two papyrus and a tentacle spot and can be cast 5 times in rapid succession. To mimic that with cooldown books you would have to craft 5 separate books and then the sanity food you would need to keep casting. How does that lessen grind? 

in what world is periodically picking reeds (which regrow with 0 zero player input) the same as gathering or farming and then cooking and storing sanity food? Not to mention wickerbottom can speed up reed gathering immensely. 

you need 5 books to make a BQ tentacle trap. Thats 25 casts and 1250 sanity. 

It does not take 1 minute to kill the birds so it would not be off cooldown. Have you ever actually done this yourself? 
if the cooldown would be so small that u wouldnt notice it between casts then what is even the point of this system?

It can take MANY, MANY casts of both birds and sleepy time to get a krampus sack, if u think grinding that amount of sanity food is no big deal you have no idea what ur talking about. 

you genuinely dont sound like you play wickerbottom. 

Think of it like this you are only ever going to need to grind once.  yeah you will need to grind multiple books. but you will have those books forever.
The only 2 instances you mentioned are the only time you will need to spam multiple books.  and yes i have dealt with the wicker grind.
wicker is a postive feedback loop the character.
you do one thing and it benefits the other.  The other lets you make more of the original  and it just keeps rising infinitely.  What you are saying is not hard to do. You can still get the trap going with my proposed system  It may not be the best for rushing.  But it is best in the long term gameplay of the character.

1 minute ago, Lumine04 said:

No like, overtime damage from freezing. 2 damage a second seems miniscule but still

also it could extinguish fires around and cool down players, so it could be helpful in summer i guess? 

3 minutes ago, skile said:

also it could extinguish fires around and cool down players, so it could be helpful in summer i guess? 

Genius, not everyone likes to litter their base with flingos and has waterbaloons. 

Wickerbottom and Maxwell have always disappointed me as I tend to exclusively use mage type characters in rpgs and they don't cut it.

My problem with Wicker is that all of her books need so much set up. I have an idea that revolves around ripping pages out of her books or edit them to a simpler version. These books would, although weaker, more practical effects that can be used on the fly.

For example:

A page from "Birds of the world": Spawns up to 10 birds split among all enemies on screen (the more enemies the weaker the effect). This distracts the enemies for a while until attacked or the effect wears off. Unlike sleepy time stories, hitting a mob does not cause the effect to wear off on all mobs of the same species. Every attack of the mob on "nothing" (the birds) has a chance to cause a bird to fly away (birds can't be killed). Hitting a mob under the effect causes all birds to fly away.

A page from "The end is nigh": Causes a lightning bolt to strike Wickerbottom's weapon and give it additional electrical damage for a moment, Wicker also takes damage.

A page from "Sleepy time stories": Makes all enemies on screen groggy, causing slow down for a few seconds.

A page from "Horticulture, abridged": Returns to the soil (destroys) up to 10 weeds and rotten veggies. 

A page from "Applied Silviculture": Harvests (drops on the ground as items) all ready to harvest non-edible plants.

32 minutes ago, skile said:

A luxury fan?

11 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

A luxury fan?

Yes but a character specific/unique luxury fan.

Wendys sisurn is a better Glommer

Walter camping tent is a better tent.

Warly's crockpot is a better crockpot.

WX's circuits are better alternatives to lights and canes.

Lucy is a better flint axe 

I can go on, its about it being a cheaper, better, character specific item. Not that Im implying you were against the idea or that the freeze book idea was good at all.

I personally really like Wicker a lot. While I don’t constantly main her, I always liked her resource approaches. She’s a lot of fun, and it’s neat to try to figure out unique interactions with the books in particular.

The main issue I have is while said loop is a lot of fun, it’s limited by the number of books she has, which is 6. You can do a lot of unique stuff with said books if you get creative, but you do eventually hit a limit with that few books. I would love to see a few more books be added to her collection that more people could use, especially if the uses were fairly straightforward but have a lot of potential (Wicker’s SW book, Joy Of Volcanology, is a neat example of this).

I don’t really know if I want any tweaks since ATM I like her quirks/perks a lot, but I do feel adding more books would be really nice to see.

19 hours ago, Lumine04 said:

Yes but a character specific/unique luxury fan.

Wendys sisurn is a better Glommer

Walter camping tent is a better tent.

Warly's crockpot is a better crockpot.

WX's circuits are better alternatives to lights and canes.

Lucy is a better flint axe 

I can go on, its about it being a cheaper, better, character specific item. Not that Im implying you were against the idea or that the freeze book idea was good at all.

The luxury fan is already really strong, I just don't see how it could be made better. It has enough uses to last several summers (lasts me 2.5 with proper rationing) and extinguishes everything on screen. I just rather have developer time be focused on unique books.

For an AOE, I think the "The end is nigh" could be reworked instead. Have the lightning bots still be completely random, but everytime it hits a mob it adds a stack of "x damage per second for x seconds", and every second hit increasing the time, the damage or both. Visually it would look like when a pokemon becomes paralyzed. Would also hit mobs and players alike and hitting a target under the effect (without lighting insulation) causes static shock damage to the player or mobs hitting the affected target.

I had an idea for a unique book people liked:

It uses an orange gem, it's called "Spring cleaning tips and tricks" or "Spring cleaning and you", and causes all items on screen that can become a stack combine to form stacks.

4 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

It uses an orange gem, it's called "Spring cleaning tips and tricks" or "Spring cleaning and you", and causes all items on screen that can become a stack combine to form stacks.

Would be a godsend for my grass gecko pens 0-0

So much grass it lags...

4 minutes ago, Lumine04 said:

Would be a godsend for my grass gecko pens 0-0

So much grass it lags...

Grass, silk, logs, etc etc. Would also stack with the lazy forager as it would pick up stacks. And unlike the lazy forager, it is team player friendly, as other people can pick up the stacks as well 

14 minutes ago, loopuleasa said:

I miss the time when the survivors were just survivors, and not marvel level superheroes.

So before strange new powers?

Because I don't remeber Bear Grylls ever summoning tentacles out of the ground to fight off bears. Then again his shows are rumored to be fake, so maybe other survival experts can.

I love Wicker, she is great to play, I LOVE how Wurt loves her, so wholesome and adorable!

I think Wicker only needs slight QoL changes, I honestly don't like her replacements for Applied Horticulture, but it's fair to say it was a bit overpowered, so I'll let that change not get on my nerves and let it slide

I have patience with a plant's growth anyway

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

Wickerbottom and Maxwell have always disappointed me as I tend to exclusively use mage type characters in rpgs

u know what is more disappointing? they know how to make a good shadowmaster if they want to, look at wanda, her concept is everything

As many have said in this thread and others, Horticulture change didn't kill Wickerbottom, DST updates did as many of the changes that happened over the years made her weaker like the new food sources introduced into the game, that makes Wickerbottom horticulture book even worse.

While i also don't agree that we need Horticulture abridged in this state, i don't farm often and i would prefer if the book was reverted to what it was before with the exception of not being able to use it on farm plots/seeds.

Farming requires a lot of work and isn't worth it when you can just use horticulture book on stone fruit bushes and lichen.

The end is nigh, the only good use this book had was for WX-78 charging, now that synergy is gone and this book is quite useless for me, there are still some uses for it but they aren't worth your time. This is also the only book that has a skin.

Just repeat kill Klaus until you get krampus sack, it is more fun compared to smacking birds.

There is also Wanda with her alarming clock, she can kill fenced bunnymen without taking any damage because of range and summon krampus while collecting puffs/meat and carrots and they respawn, you don't spend resources to do this once you finished building it. 

So sleepytime stories, this book has some situational uses but panflute is easy enough to obtain and you can just deconstruct it to get back mandrake, so not like this book does much for you.

Only book that is still strong is On Tentacles, while they are weaker then catapults, they can be set up in the first few days and you can kill bee queen easily.

While the same can be done for dragonfly, if she is enraged and you don't put her to sleep fast enough, a lot of the tentacles will die. Dragonfly is much easier to kill, so you don't need tentacles, it is only good if you want to kill her every 20 days for gems, tentacles are worth at that point if you use like 7 books so less tentacles die during the fight as they can deal more damage.

Archived