What's the general opinion on Wickerbottom?

What's the general opinion on Wickerbottom, and other various questions.  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Do you main Wickerbottom?

• Main Wicker exclusively
    • Play mostly Wicker but play other characters
    • Don't main any character and bounce around
    • Avoid playing Wicker but sometimes play her
    • Will never play Wicker
  2. 2. If you play Wicker, is it enjoyable when you play her?

• Yes
    • No
    • I do not play the character known to most as "Wickerbottom"
  3. 3. Is it enjoyable to play with a Wickerbottom?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have never played with a Wickerbottom/don't remember the experience
  4. 4. Are Wickerbottom's examination quotes interesting?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have never seen them/do not know what an examination quote is
  5. 5. What changes could be made to make Wickerbottom better?

• She is perfect as is
    • All she needs is Quality of Life changes
    • Major rework, like Willow got
    • Slight refresh, like Wigfrid got

Wickerbottom is boring to play for most. Her books do play a role in speeding up the food and material side of DST, however her books are somewhat lacking, especially the lightning one now.

What her books do and how she gets them need to change to a more interesting path. As well as my a unique structure of item she can make for herself or others.

She also needs a defined role among the survivors. Is she a gatherer? Explorer? Fighter? Another role Im missing? Idk, but she needs to fit in a category in my opinion 

8 minutes ago, Lumine04 said:

She also needs a defined role among the survivors. Is she a gatherer? Explorer? Fighter? Another role Im missing? Idk, but she needs to fit in a category in my opinion 

Wickerbottom was always the Support of the group, sharing the role with Warly.

Sure, alone she's just as capable as any other character, if not moreso, but when you use her powers for the team, she becomes a lot more useful.

Of course, this usefulness to the team has subsided with the nerf of Applied Horticulture, and since her lightning book won't make WX78 into a glow in the dark racecar anymore, that combo is essentially dead, as well as the Wolfgang Wicker combo.

Wicker Max combo will probably never be nerfed, and if they take away Wurts ability to read Wickers books, I will riot.

Mass producing twigs and grass is still useful, but if you really want to support the team at this point it's better to go Warly, or if you want to do it more indirectly go Woodie or Maxwell.

Hopefully Wicker gets the rework she deserves.

She just needs more books for her rework.

16 minutes ago, Lumine04 said:

She fits into a category way more than most characters. And why does she even need to fit into a category? What's the purpose of restricting creativity just so you can larp about roles?

36 minutes ago, Lumine04 said:

Another role Im missing?

Mage

I like Wickerbotom, her extra knowledge allows her to make a saddle and a bell a lot faster than with most other characters (no alchemy required). While mounted all your book spellcrafting is safer: you can escape nightmares faster and tentacles may not insta kill you.

I think people don't really know the stuff she can still do, since we now have easier and more straightforward characters. Wicker is now somewhat behind the refreshed characters, since she still is very grindy. 
But most wicker mains  at this point (specially those that have played her before the reworks started) would most likely tell you the same things:

• She can kickstart certain crop types super fast, and also harvest dragonfruit (+the seed) in any season immediately just with a book and a one-man-band
  • She can advance forests age to be almost dead, and summon treeguards faster.
  • She can still get krampus sacks for the whole team 
  • She can still farm some bosses with tentacles
  • She still has advantages at mass crafting darts or electric darts.

I think Wicker needs more books though, and perhaps improvements over the books that do exist. Recently someone made a post and a mod that refreshed her books which was really on point (Sorry I don't remember his/her SN, if you are reading this please link your mod its awesome)

8 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

She just needs more books for her rework.

She fits into a category way more than most characters. And why does she even need to fit into a category? What's the purpose of restricting creativity just so you can larp about roles?

Roles define where a character should excel. For basics; you have fighters, farmers (both food and mobs), gatherers, etc. 

Its not restricting anything. Im not saying just cause wolfgang is a fighter he shouldn't be able to pick berries or something, Im just saying characters need a basis on what they appear like they need to do. That may not make sense but Im trying to word it well.

For example, new players will see Warlys crafts and say "hey hes a chef". Players will see Abigals AOE attack and say, "Yo this would be great for spiders!" I mean at least thats what I thought...

1 minute ago, Lumine04 said:

Roles define where a character should excel. For basics; you have fighters, farmers (both food and mobs), gatherers, etc. 

Its not restricting anything. Im not saying just cause wolfgang is a fighter he shouldn't be able to pick berries or something, Im just saying characters need a basis on what they appear like they need to do. That may not make sense but Im trying to word it well.

It is restricting creativity. WX's rework has been very well received, but WX doesn't actually do anything. He's a big stew of random convenience perks you can choose to equip but none of them really do anything. He's not better at fighting, he's not better at gathering resources, he's not better at farming, he's not better at anything. The only thing he does that isn't a convenience perk is move fast.

If his rework was centered around fitting him into a role instead of being able to pick what convenience perks you want he'd just be another copy of Maxwell or Wolfgang.

Why should wickerbottom need to have one role, especially when many characters don't have a role and those that do are very similar to each other? We already have several gatherers, already have several fighters, what's the point of having another?

If you want to larp about roles just call her a farmer, support, or gatherer. She fits into those roles a lot better than WX, Willow, Wilson, Wes, etc, fit into any roles and about as well as Woodie, Wurt, Warly, etc.

10 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Recently someone made a post and a mod that refreshed her books which was really on point (Sorry I don't remember his/her SN, if you are reading this please link your mod its awesome)

I found the post: 

And here is the mod's link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2795829906

Essentially this refreshes her existing books to be somewhat better.

1 minute ago, Cheggf said:

It is restricting creativity. WX's rework has been very well received, but WX doesn't actually do anything. He's a big stew of random convenience perks you can choose to equip but none of them really do anything. He's not better at fighting, he's not better at gathering resources, he's not better at farming, he's not better at anything. The only thing he does that isn't a convenience perk is move fast.

If his rework was centered around fitting him into a role instead of being able to pick what convenience perks you want he'd just be another copy of Maxwell or Wolfgang.

Why should wickerbottom need to have one role, especially when many characters don't have a role and those that do are very similar to each other? We already have several gatherers, already have several fighters, what's the point of having another?

If you want to larp about roles just call her a farmer, support, or gatherer. She fits into those roles a lot better than WX, Willow, Wilson, Wes, etc, fit into any roles and about as well as Woodie, Wurt, Warly, etc.

- WX's rework sure does make him good at things. WX before was a racecar, he still is just with nightvision. Bad example too, WX rework is one of the more unique ones I have ever seen. His exploration capabilities are massive, especially in caves, then before. Benefitting both solo and non-solo players equally. He can also negate two game mechanics completely with his new tempature circuts, thats crazy cool! Portable AC and heater is awesome!

- He is a A/C racecar :p. No but hes a crazy good explorer, fastest ruins rush of my life. 

- Every character has a role, even if you have to make it yourself. But when reworking a character there needs to be a focus on what aspect of the characters doings need honing

- Your right, she is a gatherer :)

Shes still the same wickerbottom as ever to me. The applied horticulture split wasnt the wicker killing catastrophe people like to say it was. 

i think the whole package that is wickerbottom is a lot of fun. Not only the books but the high sanity, t1 science, synergy with beef, versatility, interesting quotes/personality, skins etc. 

She just needs to be expanded upon to bring her to contemporary dst survivor standards. Personally i would really like to see her get an interesting downside in exchange for more fun and powerful books.

I really hope she’ll get a celestial tier book. Shes THE knowledge character, it would suit her to make use of as many unique knowledge stations as possible. 

2 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Shes still the same wickerbottom as ever to me. The applied horticulture split wasnt the wicker killing catastrophe people like to say it was. 

Thank you! Finally someone else says it!!!

Just now, Ohan said:

I genuinely think that the applied horticulture split was overall a buff when you compare abridged with rwys against the full book with berry bushes or whatever garbage food you were using it with. Only way it's a nerf in my eyes is with her ability to generate rocks via stone fruit bushes, but I'd say it was a big buff to her ability to restore people's health, hunger, and sanity. It's super good at kick-starting the new good farms and instantly growing a group of crops whenever you need them right now.

5 minutes ago, Cheggf said:
Spoiler

Wx was always a selfish character and his rework still reflects that. every benefit wx got before the rework was because he either ate a slightly harder to get resource (gears) or used another characters item to avoid winter darkness and slow travel times(wicker chargeing)
The synergy now just moved to winona for his charge via generators lol.

Wicker is going to be more interesting. I would say
There is definitely lots of spells they can implement for wicker.  Lots of different magic items.  I was kind of thinking of making it so that her books act a bit more like wandas watches. Where they have a cooldown but you can craft many if you want to use a specific spell multiple times in a short time frame. This would drastically cut down the need for reed farming or the almost necessary reed trap set piece for wicker.

I feel though infinite books need to come with a downside Which would be that wicker cant cast spells if she does not have the sanity for them.

Frankly im looking forward to seeing more spells and make wicker be more of a mage character  It would certainly make her more unique out of the cast  Rather than just being the support farming character.

26 minutes ago, EsaiXD said:

Where they have a cooldown but you can craft many if you want to use a specific spell multiple times in a short time frame. This would drastically cut down the need for reed farming or the almost necessary reed trap set piece for wicker.

I feel though infinite books need to come with a downside Which would be that wicker cant cast spells if she does not have the sanity for them.

This would be so bad though… imagine the amount of sanity food you would have to grind to set up a tentacle trap, it would be horrible and completely out of the question early game, which is currently a huge strength of hers: rushing bq with tentacles. 

I dont see how wandas watch mechanic would be beneficial for wickerbottom. When im setting up tentacle trap im reading the same book continuously, also when it comes to farming birds and even growing crops.

Imagine having to wait for a cooldown between each tentacle cast or imagine how many STS and BotW ud have to craft nad carry on you if u want to summon krampus, it would be a complete nightmare. And then add the no casting at 0 sanity on top. Truly horrible.

People like to throw that one out there as a downside suggestion but it would completely break wickerbottom and add immense grind to using her books in the form of sanity food. Thats not how u make an interesting downside. 

How would it interact with enlightenment for example? Krampus farming on lunar island is a very valid strategy currently. And what about bone helm? Thats also a very big and interesting synergy wicker currently has. 

I really hope she can get a change in "The end is nigh" cuz that book was about Wx synergy and WX only [ok people can argue it was good for pvp too but pvp in dst isnt the focus] and instead of a bazilion lightning bolts she could simply make it heavily rain

Heavy rain can:

> Trigger Warly's recipe for electric damage even out spring [and this is already possible with telestaffs so isnt broken if shes the only to do it in a cheaper way]

> easy farmin for veggies once u dont need to water [so u can autofarm with just tendin the friendship all along the process]

> control summer wildfires

also, i would love to see a change in "On Tentacles". Like,to get a small area of effect for us to actually control and predict where the tentacles will be summoned cuz this book is pure caos.

29 minutes ago, Ohan said:
Spoiler

This would be so bad though… imagine the amount of sanity food you would have to grind to set up a tentacle trap, it would be horrible and completely out of the question early game, which is currently a huge strength of hers: rushing bq with tentacles. 

I dont see how wandas watch mechanic would be beneficial for wickerbottom. When im setting up tentacle trap im reading the same book continuously, also when it comes to farming birds and even growing crops.

Imagine having to wait for a cooldown between each tentacle cast or imagine how many STS and BotW ud have to craft nad carry on you if u want to summon krampus, it would be a complete nightmare. And then add the no casting at 0 sanity on top. Truly horrible.

People like to throw that one out there as a downside suggestion but it would completely break wickerbottom and add immense grind to using her books in the form of sanity food. Thats not how u make an interesting downside. 

she already has a grind for herself Lowering the amount she would need to grind is always the best option. besides you are telling me that grinding sanity food is worse than grinding reeds you are basically doing the same thing.
 The cooldown is just so you cant just spam one single book reading.
but you can still spam books. if you have multiple.  and when are you going to be having multiple books on you?
The only instance would be to make tentacle traps.
you can read 5 on tentacles with full sanity.
thats 15 tentacles
usually i remember it takes like 30 -45 tentacles to  trap beequeen.
your birds of the world vs sleepy time would be invalid because the cooldowns would be over by the time you kill all the birds. (if doing it solo)
if not doing it solo then yeah you may need like 3 copies of each book so that the first will be off cooldown after finishing the last.
of course numbers can vary but i was thinking having the cooldowns be like 1 minute. The only times you would need multiple books would be if you are using a lureplant to pick  (this depends on how many you have planted since lureplants can only hold 15 inventory.)
 but That all is just the fact that the player is already decicating that time and space to farm. 66 sanity per reading for krampus farming that one  if in a group can set up some sanity farms too do the boat trick to have 2 sisturns next to each other for 50 a minute. 
glommer tam?
or even just farm honey / cactus  you are telling me that getting 250 sanity worth of  taffy is hard to get?
plus nightmares also give you that sanity aid free 66 if 2 terrors show up.
also you are wicker... you can farm tomato onion and asparagus for cheap for the 33 sanity salsa or veggie stingers
 or even melon/ potato (spiralled tubers give 15 sanity).
IM just saying that majority of what wicker does becomes a feedback loop. Where she can farm one thing to get more for another and repeat the same.

imo what she needs is more books and rework to some of the existing ones. (as many already said here) 

i think her mechanic from Forge could be intresting? like, powering up the next spell you cast. maybe you could get this buff not from just fighting like In Forge, but from repeatedly doing a certain task? like, getting into a "focused" state. not sure if that would feel fine or too grindy though. maybe you'd get this buff if you haven't used any books in 4-8 minutes? 

2 minutes ago, EsaiXD said:

she already has a grind for herself Lowering the amount she would need to grind is always the best option.

1 on tentacles costs two papyrus and a tentacle spot and can be cast 5 times in rapid succession. To mimic that with cooldown books you would have to craft 5 separate books and then the sanity food you would need to keep casting. How does that lessen grind? 

4 minutes ago, EsaiXD said:

besides you are telling me that grinding sanity food is worse than grinding reeds you are basically doing the same thing.

in what world is periodically picking reeds (which regrow with 0 zero player input) the same as gathering or farming and then cooking and storing sanity food? Not to mention wickerbottom can speed up reed gathering immensely. 

6 minutes ago, EsaiXD said:

The only instance would be to make tentacle traps.
you can read 5 on tentacles with full sanity.

you need 5 books to make a BQ tentacle trap. Thats 25 casts and 1250 sanity. 

7 minutes ago, EsaiXD said:

your birds of the world vs sleepy time would be invalid because the cooldowns would be over by the time you kill all the birds. (if doing it solo)
if not doing it solo then yeah you may need like 3 copies of each book so that the first will be off cooldown after finishing the last.
of course numbers can vary but i was thinking having the cooldowns be like 1 minute.

It does not take 1 minute to kill the birds so it would not be off cooldown. Have you ever actually done this yourself? 
if the cooldown would be so small that u wouldnt notice it between casts then what is even the point of this system?

It can take MANY, MANY casts of both birds and sleepy time to get a krampus sack, if u think grinding that amount of sanity food is no big deal you have no idea what ur talking about. 

you genuinely dont sound like you play wickerbottom. 

4 minutes ago, skile said:

i think her mechanic from Forge could be intresting? like, powering up the next spell you cast. maybe you could get this buff not from just fighting like In Forge

imagine a aoe freeze attack or a meteor from fire staff, pog

1 minute ago, Lumine04 said:

Freeze book would be unique, useful, and cool

dunno its kinda the sleep time stories at the end of the day 
like the book doesnt solve the thing but the mechanic can add a lot plus this effect

3 minutes ago, MrSoratori said:

dunno its kinda the sleep time stories at the end of the day 
like the book doesnt solve the thing but the mechanic can add a lot plus this effect

No like, overtime damage from freezing. 2 damage a second seems miniscule but still

Archived