Looking for ONI TOGETHER?

Has there been any discussion of this? I know lots of players have been speculating.

The only idea I've come up with so far would be each player managing separate asteroids and competing to get to new ones first. Or cooperating and sharing resources, dupes, etc.

20 hours ago, YOLO KNIGHT said:

Has there been any discussion of this?

No.

20 hours ago, YOLO KNIGHT said:

I know lots of players have been speculating.

Speculating - nope. That would imply possibility of happening. ONI Multiplayer is not happening.

But yeah, every now and then somebody has an urge to suggest this idea, without considering how much dev effort would it take and how unsatisfying the final result would be

On 5/15/2022 at 10:05 PM, YOLO KNIGHT said:

Has there been any discussion of this? I know lots of players have been speculating.

About once a month somebody suggests ONI multiplayer. Sometimes it ends up in a discussion but most veteran players don`t see a possibility for it due to performance issues and the general character of the game.

That said there was an attempt to make a sort of shared save version (i can`t find the thread right now) and it ended up with players doing random builds and not really caring about other player designs.

As for playing simultainously there are a lot of potential issues with control and pause. If players start on the same planetoid do thay share control or have their own set of dupes? If they start on different ones what happens when they travel? Also that`s potentially hours of play before they can interact.

It`s not as easy as just adding another player controlling a separate character.

16 hours ago, gabberworld said:

This game supports moding. Its soo easy cheat that any develop is for multiplayer is mostlikley waste off time.

If we follow this logic, Klei wasted their time developing Don't Starve Together :-D

2 hours ago, Sanchozz said:

If we follow this logic, Klei wasted their time developing Don't Starve Together :-D

Well imagine for example if there is share market and cheater push millions off resourses to markert. 

I did experiment with ONI together -

, and we even launch rocket into temporal rift. I would like to say, it was epic fail and we run rocket only because we was really stubborn. During experiment we suffer from hatred and everybody-else-except-me stupidity. It is playable only for cases if you are masochistic or if you want to find reason why you should lose friends. 

From my perspective, only playable version of ONI together is "share-my-savefile", where you share savefile, and multiple persons in parallele do something, then you decide which "branch" is source of truth. But I'm not sure community is big enough to support such solution.

ps: check it out - 

On 6/4/2022 at 3:10 PM, degr said:

I did experiment with ONI together -

, and we even launch rocket into temporal rift. I would like to say, it was epic fail and we run rocket only because we was really stubborn. During experiment we suffer from hatred and everybody-else-except-me stupidity. It is playable only for cases if you are masochistic or if you want to find reason why you should lose friends.

I do think that your methodology was flawed, and the approach was destined to fail (but it wasn't your fault, as you didn't have the tools you needed).  A similar approach using known good multiplayer games (e.g. RTS, 4x like Stellaris, Civilization, Anno 1404) would also have been an unpleasant experience due to everyone controlling the same party and having to take turns rather than working in parallel on different aspects.  The only way a system like that would have a chance of working is if everyone builds on their own asteroids and perhaps conduct trade with each other or other limited interactions (e.g. in Stellaris, I can't control another person's empire, I only have a limited interface to interact with them, like trade, diplomacy, war, etc).

Also, you only had one screen and one cursor at a time, so really only one person could play at a time.  A decent ONI multiplayer experience would require multiple cursors and multiple cameras so that multiple people could issue commands at the same time.  I want this feature for different reasons.

I think that "local" multiplayer with specific people you know working together and coordinating would be a much better fit for this game and could potentially be interesting.  But an open world with random people would be pure chaos unless each person had their own asteroid and the "multiplayer" aspect was related to trade.

Archived