I think the new crafting menu can use some more work.

While i quite like the new crafting UI, it would be great if it got some adjustments.

There should be an option to remove duplicates from crafting menu and i shouldn't need to use mod to limit the crafting tabs, i don't need winter/summer or all the tabs that made it easier for a new players but redundant and messy for experienced players.

What i've noticed is that i excessively pin everything that i might use semi regularly, while i'd prefer if it was easier to just use the crafting UI.

2 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

While i quite like the new crafting UI, it would be great if it got some adjustments.

There should be an option to remove duplicates from crafting menu and i shouldn't need to use mod to limit the crafting tabs, i don't need winter/summer or all the tabs that made it easier for a new players but redundant and messy for experienced players.

What i've noticed is that i excessively pin everything that i might use semi regularly, while i'd prefer if it was easier to just use the crafting UI.

thank so much. redundant is the word I was looking for.

You sir sum up the 1000 words I am trying to put out and convey my message in just a few lines. You are the best!

Mike is correct when saying the crafting tab is more difficult to use on console, for sure. Not only do controller users have to do the same number of 'clicks' as PC players to get the same results, but also have to use analog sticks to navigate to each individual item. When I do play on PS4 and have to access the crafting menu for something specific I ponder for a little bit on how to get to it, although that could be because I need to adjust more to it or that I'm drawing a blank looking for said craft. Finding items in other tabs like the top hat in rain protection is a bit odd as well, because if I were to want headwear to prevent wetness, I'd choose something like a rainhat or a helmet primarily, each being much easier to find as they're either in clothing or the armor tab, which is much simpler and easier to think about. I could just be grasping at straws on why I don't like the new menu but that isn't true, I like the fresh and new aesthetic it has going on! :wilson_curious:

I made my video, as was promised but maybe it deserved its own thread?

Imagine being a new player or player who bought DST in 2017 when it launched on Xbox trying to play this game after the craft UI update and you DON’T come to these forums at all or read the in depth patch notes..

(thank god that I do.. but anyway let’s get to my point)

In the provided video below I want you to pretend you don’t read patch notes, and then tell me EXACTLY Where your Item select cursor thing ends up by the end of this video.

I think it’s time DST got a Step by Step Tutorial that makes players have to learn this new UI before they can even play the game.. (a simple short UI tutorial that tells them how to scroll to this menu, craft an Axe, change its skin, swap between the pinned tabs etc..)

Because THIS would just be confusing without that short guide:

Another equally annoying thing about the new craft Ui is being able to pin Character Specific Crafts- this is the stupidest thing I’ve seen in a video game in a long long time..

WHY can I Pin Wormwoods Compost wrap and that remain on my pinned tab when I swap to WX78???

I can’t think of a single situation where a character that ISNT the intended character can craft that characters exclusive crafts- so a nice little QoL needs to happen to where if I pin Wolfgang’s Dumbells, when I swap to Wendy/Wormwood Etc: It swaps Wolfs pinned character specific crafts for whomever I’m playing as at the moment.

WHY CAN WX78 SEE PINNED COMPOST WRAP?! 

… please fix? <3

It seems that these mods appear here very often, but apparently very few people know about them.
"Craft Menu Tweak" and "Tabs"
there are settings that can help.
for example, the desired craft with one click or tabs to open the desired tab right away, the developers are unlikely to transfer the functionality that remains there, so the only way to make your life easier is to use mods

On 4/25/2022 at 11:12 AM, Mike23Ua said:

Another equally annoying thing about the new craft Ui is being able to pin Character Specific Crafts- this is the stupidest thing I’ve seen in a video game in a long long time..

WHY can I Pin Wormwoods Compost wrap and that remain on my pinned tab when I swap to WX78???

I can’t think of a single situation where a character that ISNT the intended character can craft that characters exclusive crafts- so a nice little QoL needs to happen to where if I pin Wolfgang’s Dumbells, when I swap to Wendy/Wormwood Etc: It swaps Wolfs pinned character specific crafts for whomever I’m playing as at the moment.

WHY CAN WX78 SEE PINNED COMPOST WRAP?! 

… please fix? <3

during freecrafting, for tests, I personally really like the opportunity for any character to create his item while in this mode.
and if I change the character, it’s enough for me to change the tab of the fixed recipes and now the necessary items without having to change something

On 4/24/2022 at 1:23 PM, Mike23Ua said:

I HATE the new craft UI, I’ve listed multiple reasons why I hate it.. but I’ll list them again-

First off- If you want actually Refine something like rope, boards, cutstone etc- You need to pin each of those directly to your pinned tab if you want to access them as fast/faster then you did the Old UI where Refining was simple & easy.

Secondly- Accidentally bumping your analog stick too far left or too far up will move you to this Dreadful New UI.. I absolutely HATE this, and it nearly ruins the entire game for me because with the OLD crafting Menu you just pressed LT to open the crafting tab, scroll down and craft by pressing A- NOW pressing LT opens that full huge screen blocking ugly list of all the games craftables (I’ve died several times trying to get use to this…) But to even get to your Quick craft pinned items? You need to move the analog stick far left or press up out of your inventory.. And if you’ve spent nearly 10 years pressing LT to open the craft UI & scroll to what you want to craft- this change isn’t an easy change to get use to.

Finally.. To CRAFT items in your pinned quick access tabs requires you to scroll over them and press down on the D-pad, which has Directly lead to me dying a few times while I desperately spam A to try and place a campfire.

Theres also the fact that anyone on Xbox who doesn’t actually come to these forums or read patch notes, if they get their cursor lost, they won’t understand how to change tab pages (I will provide a video showing this later today when I can play the game a bit.) 

TL:DR- the old UI was simple & easy to understand & worked great on a Xbox controller, the NEW UI seems like it was added as a QoL for KB+Mouse, but also made it all the more tedious using a controller.

Thats of course just my opinion: But I do want Klei to know I absolutely hate the new craft UI.. I’ve tried to like it I really have, but it could use some work.

I know for me I hate the new crafting UI on console PS4. It feels like you are doing extra steps to do a single thing. It feels like so much work that I don't want to play the game to be honest. I wish there was a option to swtich back to the old crafting UI. To me the crafting UI wasn't even bad, it wasn't terrible either, it make sense and it was easy plus simple to use. I might have player only twice since the crafting UI was updated, it just feels like a chore to use for me.

Archived