I think the new crafting menu can use some more work.

So after a long break I come back to check out the new WX update. First thing I notice is, it now takes me a long time to craft just about any item. I realize it is not easy to fix all issues but nonetheless I will bring them to the dev and see if they can improve upon what we have.

1) Please add 1-click crafting option

Say when I click on the pickaxe, I expect the game to start crafting right away. However as of now I have to double click to get the crafting started which feel strange. This is probably because in the old crafting system 1 click = crafting.

1742988831_DesktopScreenshot2022_04.24-21_09_22_26.png.5fbd7892509b8eaea3dab9898fa52b77.png

2) Option to enable Drag to manage Pin-pages

I think this will make adding/remove/swapping icons much easier. Like if I want to move the torch/campfire/axe down 1 tile and place the pickaxe at the top, I want to be able to just drag the pickaxe to the top, and the game can automatically move the rest of the icon drop 1 tile. Currently I will have to remove all icon from the menu and then put them back one at a time.

1013081165_DesktopScreenshot2022_04.24-21_12_34_83.png.b38372b93e5d4af54e7a53420c41c6f3.png

3) Easier to switch between different "Tabs"

So before I just need to point my mouse pointer to the tab, the items listed under will show up. Now I have to click on say "light sources" first, then I have to double click the touch-icon to craft a touch. That is like 3 clicks to get a touch. I think this is just way slower than the old system.

1794087015_DesktopScreenshot2022_04.24-21_29_48_90.png.ce17cef7b2b4738e8ff01134806c70ff.png

4) Better default Pin-Pages.(May be?)

Like right now when I start the game, the default Pin-Pages is just a few random items in the first 3 pages and then thats it. I think this is much much worst than the old crafting menu. Sure given enough time playing with the Pin-Pages players can make their own pin-pages. However I don't think I am getting there anytime soon. So after playing for 2 hrs I ask myself how would I want my Pin-Pages done. Then I realize I just want it to looks like the old way because it was way easier to go to the tabs then look for a torch or a weapon when I needed it.

21 minutes ago, Mday said:

First thing I notice is, it now takes me a long time to craft just about any item.

maybe because you only been starting to use it for a while ? 

22 minutes ago, Mday said:

its done when u put things in pinned menu, in crafting tab u need click once to see the material and item detail . also did u try for example when u want to craft thermal stone and have not pick axe u can just just build in thermalstone icon and build twice ? it will craft the item u lack for it 

26 minutes ago, Mday said:

2) Option to enable Drag to manage Pin-pages

this would be cool 

26 minutes ago, Mday said:

3) Easier to switch between different "Tabs"

i dont find this stuff hard at all since if i made my own pinned tab i rarely need to open the full UI . 

30 minutes ago, Mday said:

it just need your own customization. now its saved in local data so u dont need to rebuild ur pinned menu everytime 
image.thumb.png.05ade10c4fdc1213090d13d9a7c90b27.png
this is mine .. 
i placed the first page as my mid and late game basic item that i might use alot. 
the starting item in 4th page cus i will be rarely remade those item other than early days in autumn and can jump from 1st to 4th if i need emergency torch
2nd page is for my building material that i need most of time 
3rd page is for repetitive random item that i use at given time as needed .(as u can see i build my hound kill box and pig village atm thats why i have this item on this versatile page.. so if i making bee farm ill place beebox here and change to other stuff if i need other thing) 

u can also add to 8 pages if u need that much pages ... i add my setting to 6 before but 4 is the most efficient page i will be use at most 

in summary :
all those worry of repetitive clicking only happen if u try the new mechanic but not optimizing the new pinned tabs feature 

1 hour ago, prettynuggets said:

I dont find this stuff hard at all since if i made my own pinned tab i rarely need to open the full UI . 

I guess this is where most of the issue boils down to: Made my own pinned tab.

Which I find it annoying because, if I am to build the pinned tab, it most likely will looks like the old tab systems except it is more clicking to switch between pinned pages.

2 hours ago, Mday said:

Say when I click on the pickaxe, I expect the game to start crafting right away. However as of now I have to double click to get the crafting started which feel strange. This is probably because in the old crafting system 1 click = crafting.

They should leave it as is, but make it so right clicking makes item in 1 click

1 minute ago, Random Guy000 said:

They should leave it as is, but make it so right clicking makes item in 1 click

I prefer left click but I understand your point so lets make both possible by choice at the game option menu.

3 hours ago, Mday said:

I agree that there should be more fixed and useful recipes for the start of the game and for new players as standard.

That way the extra clicks and the time it took to customize our tab would no longer be a problem.

And if Klei was really going to do that, I'd like them to add the option to reset the pinned recipes to default.

So that those who have already fixed, do not have to fix the recipes again.

I HATE the new craft UI, I’ve listed multiple reasons why I hate it.. but I’ll list them again-

First off- If you want actually Refine something like rope, boards, cutstone etc- You need to pin each of those directly to your pinned tab if you want to access them as fast/faster then you did the Old UI where Refining was simple & easy.

Secondly- Accidentally bumping your analog stick too far left or too far up will move you to this Dreadful New UI.. I absolutely HATE this, and it nearly ruins the entire game for me because with the OLD crafting Menu you just pressed LT to open the crafting tab, scroll down and craft by pressing A- NOW pressing LT opens that full huge screen blocking ugly list of all the games craftables (I’ve died several times trying to get use to this…) But to even get to your Quick craft pinned items? You need to move the analog stick far left or press up out of your inventory.. And if you’ve spent nearly 10 years pressing LT to open the craft UI & scroll to what you want to craft- this change isn’t an easy change to get use to.

Finally.. To CRAFT items in your pinned quick access tabs requires you to scroll over them and press down on the D-pad, which has Directly lead to me dying a few times while I desperately spam A to try and place a campfire.

Theres also the fact that anyone on Xbox who doesn’t actually come to these forums or read patch notes, if they get their cursor lost, they won’t understand how to change tab pages (I will provide a video showing this later today when I can play the game a bit.) 

TL:DR- the old UI was simple & easy to understand & worked great on a Xbox controller, the NEW UI seems like it was added as a QoL for KB+Mouse, but also made it all the more tedious using a controller.

Thats of course just my opinion: But I do want Klei to know I absolutely hate the new craft UI.. I’ve tried to like it I really have, but it could use some work.

1 hour ago, Mday said:

Which I find it annoying because, if I am to build the pinned tab, it most likely will looks like the old tab systems except it is more clicking to switch between pinned pages.

dunno how u find it same when bundle rebundle thing will take me to several scrolling and clicking back and forth to different tab ? and more clicking if i simply want to change my skin ? 
scroll at very bottom for new crafting such as turf new learned recipe etc 
the new UI if not using the feature its deliver it looks like pain but it will cover a tons of more crafting item in the future. without making tons of tons new tab pop at very bottom to avoid scrolling and pilling items in one tab 

18 minutes ago, prettynuggets said:

dunno how u find it same when bundle rebundle thing will take me to several scrolling and clicking back and forth to different tab ? and more clicking if i simply want to change my skin ? 
the new UI if not using the feature its deliver it looks like pain but it will cover a tons of more crafting item in the future. without making tons of tons new tab pop at very bottom to avoid scrolling and pilling items in one tab 

Yeah see I’ve absolutely questioned how or why this is a bad thing for quite sometime now- I’m not sure about all of you, but if I play a game that has a ALOT of options on the screen usually that game also has a button you can press to scroll through several pages at once.

Lets use Injustice 2 as my example shall we? Sure you can scroll down the menu screen to view each fighter one by one and all of their abilities in painfully slow fashion, OR you can do something like Tap a Specific button prompt to scroll 10-20 pages at a time.

If Klei’s issue with the old UI was to provide QoL to lengthy amounts of scrolling, then implementing a system like Injustice 2’s multi-scroll would have done the job.

But to completely change the entire way you interact/craft?? It feels like a middle finger to the people who played DS, Shipwrecked, Hamlet, DS Pocket Edition or DS Shipwrecked Pocket Edition.

Im not understanding why there was any need to change something that was so well known..

But maybe I’ll know when Klei finally reveals their bigger picture for what they plan to do with DST in a couple years.

36 minutes ago, prettynuggets said:

dunno how u find it same when bundle rebundle thing will take me to several scrolling and clicking back and forth to different tab ?

I am not saying the current system is all bad. I can see the value where players can customize the pinned-page like in your example can make it easier to bundle/rebundle stuff. I think it needs some improvement.

and more clicking if i simply want to change my skin ? 

I rarely use non default skins. I get confused a lot when there are different skins of the same items all over the place so I just stuck to 1 skin type which usually means the default skin.

I have no issue finding new learned recipe back then. Took me awhile to find the backpack from the main menu with this new system.

The main crafting menu provide more room for more items. The Pinned pages does not. In fact it is less room for the Pinned pages because you only have 9 pages and each page only have 9 slots.

also did u try for example when u want to craft thermal stone and have not pick axe u can just just build in thermalstone icon and build twice ? it will craft the item u lack for it 

This is a good feature. Thou I doubt it has anything to do with UI change. 

The gaming experience speak for itself I guess. I am crafting very slowly and now I have to spend hrs trying to workout how I want the pinned pages looks like. To do that I have to fire up the singleplayer DS to make screenshot of the old TAB so I know how things are listed in order in the old system. And since the pages only have 9 slots a ton of items won't make it into the pinned pages so I still have to open up that main crafting menu and craft from there.

Overall my experience using the new UI is this:

1) Crafting from main menu is slow because it is way more clicking, messy category, and need to Press Esc to close the window after each crafting.

2) Pinned page has limited slots which make it difficult to fit in enough item of the same group.

3) Editing pinned pages takes forever.

4) Because of 2) & 3) I keep going back to the main crafting menu for almost everything which means I keep experiencing 1)

Which reminds me to add point number 5:

5) Please add option to auto-hide main crafting menu after crafting.

I craft a touch from main crafting menu, my mouse is not on the crafting window, the window should now auto-hide.

12 minutes ago, Mday said:

and more clicking if i simply want to change my skin ? 

I hope you know that you can cycle through skins on pinned items on the quick tab.

By default its bind on the scroll wheel up/down. (Idk about controllers)

2 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

I hope you know that you can cycle through skins on pinned items on the quick tab.

By default its bind on the scroll wheel up/down. (Idk about controllers)

I know. I was replying to prettynuggets .

20 minutes ago, Mday said:

I have to spend hrs trying to workout how I want the pinned pages looks like. To do that I have to fire up the singleplayer DS to make screenshot of the old TAB so I know how things are listed in order in the old system.

i think the problem is the obsession for u to make the pinned recipe to be same as old crafting tab ? i dunno why u pin backpack if u only need to make it once and some other stuff that might only once u craft in a year 

i think the icon tabs represent their usage clear enough for one to know thermalstone in seasonal needs. back pack in storage icon . healing in heart icon 

from all 4 points you suggested only #2 that might add to the new UI the other can be negate by u optimizing using pinned recipe that u really need during ur play through and getting comfortable with the change ..give it couple of days ? not only 2 hours in game 

sorry for those controller problem thats why i dont play game on console unless its exclusively released on controller:wilsontea:
but i watch e4s2c0 still play on his controller still killing it with one hand.

Just now, prettynuggets said:

i dunno why u pin backpack if u only need to make it once.

I actually craft it 2 times in my 2 hrs reworked wx experience.

I was wx in the cave. Drop my backpack at the entrance of ruin. After doing some ruin stuff I want to craft a new backpack to carry stuff back. And that gave me a painful 10 secs just to craft a backpack (yes it was the second backpack I've ever crafted using the new UI).

"only need to make it once" is not a good excuses imo. You never know when and which item you'll need to be able to craft as fast as possible. 

i think the problem is the obsession for u to make the pinned recipe to be same as old crafting tab ?

Call it an obsession if you want. For me it is just the most logical way to organize things. It is like when you build a base and you have your own ways to organize the chests. I look at the default pinned pages and I see pickaxe and touches on the same pages, it was an eye sore.

Lets just say if the main crafting menu has "1-click crafting" and "auto hide", I will be using the main crafting menu for the most part. At least if I "play long enough" I will remember the new icon tabs well enough muscle memory will start functioning again. For what good reason after 3k hrs playing DST I now have to gain a new set of muscle memory? That's logic beyond my understanding.

And no I am not using controller.

5 minutes ago, Mday said:

And no I am not using controller

that last part for mike 

7 minutes ago, Mday said:

For what good reason after 3k hrs playing DST I now have to gain a new set of muscle memory?

been playing for more than 3times from yours(10k+ hours in DST, also play in DS series), it wouldnt be that hard to adapt ..
give it time and understand how to properly use it lol and u didnt gain new muscle memory in 2 hours too
the categorize tab isnt that hard to understand . u wont be seeking backpack in heart tab .
changing UI is make sense if u realized how much new crafting item added to game in just last 2 years and how cluttered the old tabs is used to be 

And this is what I mean when I said I feel like the main crafting menu is kinda messy. I know these 3 items emit lights but I am not sure they are supposed to be there since thats not their primary use. Say for example If I am in dire need to get light and I know with the material I have I can only go for a morning star, I will go to "fighting tab" and look for morning star. Now I know morning star is in the fighting tab too, but the point is since if I need morning star I will go to fighting tab, it doesn't need to be included in light source tab as well. Right now it is just an additional icon sitting there for my brain to process and adds no value by doing so.

Speaking of light source tab somehow the star staff is not there so I dont know I am so confused right now.

100118809_DesktopScreenshot2022_04.25-03_56_51_69.png.a2900ee27da9cab1fbdf52129302cb8e.png

7 minutes ago, prettynuggets said:

u wont be seeking backpack in heart tab .

Right but I wasn't expecting it to fall under "clothing tab" either. At least they've included a search tab so I can craft my first backpack because that is what I did. Ever wonder why they needed a search tab now btw? It is because this is indeed kinda messy and get some used to. People are bound to get lost in it and therefore they've included a search function.

2 minutes ago, Mday said:

star staff is not there

cus its belong in "station specific crafting" that u only can craft near specific crafting station lmao 

4 minutes ago, Mday said:

Now I know morning star is in the fighting tab too

u just realized upon making this screen shoot ?

4 minutes ago, Mday said:

it doesn't need to be included in light source

its emit light why would it should not be included in it ? 
kekw

5 minutes ago, prettynuggets said:

Now I know morning star is in the fighting tab too

its emit light why would it should not be included in it ? 

I think I've already explained.

I mean by your logic why aren't all the tools listed under Weapons tab? I can kill a spider with an axe so it is a weapon too why not?

And yes I just realize the walking cane is under clothing tab too. Which if you think about it, it is a tool, it is a weapon, and you cannot wear it like piece of clothing. So all armors can go to clothing tab as well but the walking cane should be in tools and weapon tabs.

Admit it this is just a mess.

2 minutes ago, Mday said:

I think I've already explained.

u just now realized that items can belong in multiple tab and its kinda explain why is it belong there.
now people with 0 willing to open wiki can know that top hat have some rain protection, astral detector can give light, siesta lean o cool you down in summer.

1 minute ago, prettynuggets said:

u just now realized that items can belong in multiple tab and its kinda explain why is it belong there.
now people with 0 willing to open wiki can know that top hat have some rain protection, astral detector can give light, siesta lean o cool you down in summer.

Ok then. Bring tools and walking cane and torch to the weapon tabs as well. Because it is more damage then punching after all. So people who doesn't open wiki can know it is indeed better than punching.

And remember to add torch to winter tab as well.

Archived