Seasonal changes for the Ocean

Something that I feel that the Ocean lacks are seasonal changes that affect the biomes and playstyle, apart from things like the player's temperature, rains, smoldering and the seasonal fishes, everything stays the same through the year.

I have some ideas that could help to give the ocean more unique during the seasons:

Autumm: Stays the same as currently is as the "default" ocean ambience.

Winter: Similar to how you can find Boat Fragments, you could find tiny icebergs that contain frozen mobs, mining them will drop Ice and the mob(s) inside, whcih will have a chance to be set free or die in the spot. The mobs could be related to the ocean like fishes or to winter like MacTusk.

Spoiler

sketch1650424349959.thumb.png.dd5d412b5d4e6469bd342f1668bb1c42.png

Spring: Being more related to rain, fishes could spawn more frequently during rains. As the water is more nutricious during spring, Bull Kelps would regrow faster. There could be something similiar to Hornete's Ocean Currents mod with some areas having whirpools or currents that mobs and boats can interact.

Spoiler

sketch1650424390061.thumb.png.cd94940a0e815a0a1454d3026049c3e1.png

Summer: With Antlion sinkholes having no effect in the ocean an idea I had was to make them being able to create cracks in the ocean to create submarine volcanoes that could ignite the Boat but after some time or with a Fire Pump could be turned into Sea Stacks.

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpg.0840c4d145ef086cb291d959954cab18.jpg

16 hours ago, Just-guy said:

Winter: Similar to how you can find Boat Fragments, you could find tiny icebergs that contain frozen mobs, mining them will drop Ice and the mob(s) inside, whcih will have a chance to be set free or die in the spot. The mobs could be related to the ocean like fishes or to winter like MacTusk.

Oh My God I love this idea.

These are awesome ideas. Although I'd like a way to control rain if it helps with fishing, perhaps doing some nightmare ritual on a special island could start a rainy season of sorts (and increase frozen mob glacier spawns during winter).

I like to imagine you can do a hunt on the ocean during winter in the form on suspicious ice pieces. You can follow them until you find a giant iceberg where you can mine for a lot of ice and get the loot inside the iceberg.

Of course, there's a chance there's a shark inside it, or some cookie cutters that will immediately jump onto your boat after being free from the iceberg. I wouldn't mind a completely new hostile enemy inside there made for the ocean, maybe a big, cranky octopus?

Archived