Let's talk dungeons

With DST getting updated as often as it is, I no longer feel like any idea for new content is out of the realm of possibility. With that being said, I want to share my own ideas of incorporating procedurally generated dungeons to the game and to see if others are on board and want to see something like this incorporated to DST at some point, hence the post.

To dive deeper on what I meant by procedurally generated dungeons, think of any top-down Zelda you've played or games that include dungeons that heavily incorporates some semblance of 2D Zelda dungeons (ie. The Binding of Isaac). Dungeons in these games are top down, DST is also top down, Zelda dungeons encourage exploration and reward, so does DST. You see where I'm going with this. To incorporate this concept seamlessly and make it fresh and exciting for DST I think that these dungeons need to be generated on the spot once entered, with multiple dungeons and their entrances located throughout the surface or caves. They will have their very own map and are in the layout similar to ancient pig ruins for Hamlet with multiple floors and rooms. 

Since these dungeons are random, they are to be less complex than Zelda and will contain simple puzzles, traps, and combat challenges in self contained rooms. Examples of these rooms I came up:

• Defeat all mobs in the rooms to progress
  • Light all braziers with fire to open doors
  • Activate pressured plates to open doors
  • Navigate spike/arrow traps to progress 
  • Blow open walls with gunpowder to reveal secret areas
  • Dark rooms
  • Any combination of the above and more

In addition to this I also they can get away with simple key/locked door logic for some floors.

This is purely for gameplay side of things without any context to lore, but if you want they can theme dungeons like biomes. For example a ice cavern that require heavy use of the fire staff, or a fire temple that require heavy use of the ice staff. Theming can also go beyond gameplay like a temple dedicated to the worship of the moon, or a crypt housing the souls of previous failed survivors.

Of course there will be adequate unique/powerful loot to incentives the exploration of these dungeons as well as new mobs to play with, and lets not forget a boss at the end of each as a final challenge. Randomly generated dungeon will also RE-generate new layouts after a clear to accommodate the fact that the word does not geographically change like the ruins and this is a way to subtly include dynamic world changes. 

So I want to know how others feel about the idea of dungeons, do you want them to be included like this or is there variations of this idea you have in mind? Do you have something to add? Do you not want them at all? Please share ideas and feedback and I'm happy to see discussion on takes about this.

18 minutes ago, Waoling said:

Isn't this in Hamlet and also New home? and wouldn't this use shard?

Yes.. but also no.

I can see it working in DST IF “Dungeons” as op puts them were single-player instances.. or Multiplayer instances you had to go into together- However…

Once you enter this dungeon you leave your current worlds server and go to another server hosting your dungeon (see similar games like No Mans Sky or Destiny 2) Once you enter the dungeon you can not leave this area until you either Die.. or finish the dungeon. 

Once a Dungeon is completed- The entrance to it will crumble and you’ll re-enter the other server.

However.. I’d really just prefer the entire game to be randomly generated, rather than limited to temple instances- why give me a small corridor when the whole world can be my randomized playground?

With that said I’m not so sure the technology is there for such a feature..

Id love to be able to do more of what the games official product description describes- “explore randomly generated worlds full of stuff that hates you and wants you to die.”

goin to need a stack full of return home portal scrolls for these dungeons, to then sell all the worthless weapons and armors at the pigking merchant for that sweet coin

fun away now, but yes, something like that would be cool, just some random dungeons like the hamlet ones to explore and loot treasures from, that reroll there insides like every lets say 20 days or so, and there like 5 or so around whit ddifferend difficulty and themes, depending on where you find them, would propably be something great, or maybe its some dst burnout i got to think thats a good idea

40 minutes ago, Waoling said:

Isn't this in Hamlet and also New home? and wouldn't this use shard?

Yes, I can see there will be technical limitations on making a third shard for this in addition to surface and caves. I don't know if the DST framework can handle 3 shards, but I just want feedback on the idea given that making a 3rd shard is non problematic. 

19 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

prefer the entire game to be randomly generated, rather than limited to temple instances- why give me a small corridor when the whole world can be my randomized playground?

But the world is generated randomly once you create a new world, I don't know what you mean by the entire game to be randomly generated in any other context. For the dungeons, I propose they reset and regenerate the shard once cleared while the game is still running. Given that there are no players within the dungeons so this process can work in the background. 

I would love some ancient ruins dungeon place you can go inside with stairs leading to lower floors and the floors are randomized and every like season or two it resets the dungeon. It would be very fun and something very fun to do with friends.

One of things that disappoints me in DST the most is the world is so small and there isn't much to explore and biomes are mostly vast empty spaces of land.

A dungeon would be a small step to add something in the game to have replay value for the exploration part of the game (if it resets after a season or completing it)

could be cool as a separate game mode, but i also wouldnt mind if the game had more exploration elements. currently you have the lunar island, the ruins, and the surface world, and after that there really isn't much reason to explore. Putting them in the caves sounds like the best way to go about doing this, since the caves are already extremely empty.

3 hours ago, Baark0 said:

could be cool as a separate game mode, but i also wouldnt mind if the game had more exploration elements. currently you have the lunar island, the ruins, and the surface world, and after that there really isn't much reason to explore. Putting them in the caves sounds like the best way to go about doing this, since the caves are already extremely empty.

Chalice Dungeons from Bloodborne, perchance?

Archived