Desalinator not cooling

So I've got a cooling loop going behind 2 of my desalinators but it seems to be having no effect at all. The radiant pipes are made of gold, it is in polluted oxygen which doesnt seem to be getting heated by the desalinator. Something weird is going on.

image.thumb.png.62f62130d3a36eb5ca84c80cb2153b26.png

image.thumb.png.0b1f16f4fbd6b78591ab95f8c61e5226.png

image.png.a7d8fff0efd7ea2f6e1e73145bdae813.png

Do I need some temp shift plates or something? I dont recall ever having this issue before.

4 minutes ago, ATM Reaper said:

Its more the fact it seems to be doing nothing at all to the desalinator. The cooling loop hasnt had to activate once.

ok there is one thing. what material you to use for build those.

if you use igneous rock then of-course it will fail

12 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

ok there is one thing. what material you to use for build those.

if you use igneous rock then of-course it will fail

The desals are made of Gold amalgam.

So debuilt them and remade of steel, temp seems to be stable now but still not going into the cooling loop lol.

Forgive me for possibly making you feel like we're not listening, but I think the desalinators are simply constantly running, and as a result keeping up with the heat taking of the cooling loop. I've had this exact scenario happen before, and the desalinator would eventually overheat without the cooling loop, but wouldn't with it.

If you believe that its some sort of bug, then I think deconstructing and reconstructing the desalinators would likely help. I would build them out of steel to be safe if  you have it.

1 hour ago, Primalflower said:

Forgive me for possibly making you feel like we're not listening, but I think the desalinators are simply constantly running, and as a result keeping up with the heat taking of the cooling loop. I've had this exact scenario happen before, and the desalinator would eventually overheat without the cooling loop, but wouldn't with it.

If you believe that its some sort of bug, then I think deconstructing and reconstructing the desalinators would likely help. I would build them out of steel to be safe if  you have it.

The issue seems to have been the chosen material for the desalinator, after changing it to steel I no longer have an issue. When it was made from gold amalgam it heated up very quickly when operating.

6 hours ago, ATM Reaper said:

Do I need some temp shift plates or something?

Yes, yes and yes!

These chonky pieces of equipment are best built with at least one or two tempshift plates behind them. Don't forget to build metal tile beneath them (and make sure the tempshifts are in contact with the metal tile.) Oxygen and polluted oxygen are not that great when it comes to temperature conduction...

10 minutes ago, ATM Reaper said:

When it was made from gold amalgam it heated up very quickly when operating.

Gold amalgam is not terrible but having steel is much more convenient.

This is my "input/output cooled" desalinator setup. It's not running anywhere near 50% (35% tops?) but takes fresh brine close to 40ºC. It never gets hot enough to need external cooling. (It did take some 100% workloads in the past but that was an emergency and didn't get too hot either.) The bridges are indeed in the orientation that I intended: these are meant to accumulate liquid for temperature exchange purposes and only release it when more arrives...

1721410357_Desalpipes.thumb.png.5cbf4eabddcd0b77fa0fcf495ce4fa9c.png

3 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

Gold amalgam is the worst material what you could even use for that, this temperature rise  soo fast that you cooling was not able keep up and that's all

I agree and always recommend steel for hot tubs, for example... It's not without its specific uses and I often wish for a worse performing metal ore for some builds (but sadly enough, no such materials exist in the game).

You've got aluminium ore. Still not better than steel, but already ten times more efficient than gold ore, which is actually the worst in term of TC.

Though you still need to be careful with the "only 75°C" degree overheat.

IMG_20220330_103155.jpg

But as other said, a bit of liquid on floor solves most conductivity issues.

1 hour ago, OxCD said:

You've got aluminium ore. Still not better than steel, but already ten times more efficient than gold ore, which is actually the worst in term of TC.

IMG_20220330_103155.jpg

yeah Aluminum is also a solution, i to use that for my aquatuner what is submerged to inside water and runs just fine

2 hours ago, OxCD said:

IMG_20220330_103155.jpg

Very useful, many thanks.

I must admit even though I've spent many hours playing this game the thermal conductivity still gets me lol.

22 hours ago, ATM Reaper said:

When it was made from gold amalgam it heated up very quickly when operating.

Yes! Gold amalgam has a very small specific heat capacity of 0.150, meaning for every 0.150 units of heat generated it will increase in temperature by 1°C. Iron and iron ore have SHCs of 0.449 and steel has 0.490, so it takes more heat gain/loss for them to change temperature.

So you want to use gold amalgam if either 1) you want the machine to operate in a higher temperature environment, because it has a +50° overheat, or 2) you want the machine to heat up or get cold quickly. If you have a machine you would rather not heat up quickly, like a steam turbine, you want to use a material with a higher SHC, like iron.

I frequently use gold amalgam desalinators because I use the waste heat to pre-heat incoming brine to at least -2°C so that it doesn't freeze as soon as it converts to water.

Cooling machines with liquid inputs is usually tricky. You usually want radiant pipes with cold water running behind the main tile where the machine interior interacts with the enviroment. But machines with liquid input usually have their input port in that tile. When running pipes around the efficiency of cooling is much worse. Tempshift plates help a bit but aren`t nearly as good as a bit of water spilled around.

I had the same problem with cooling petrol engines, oil refineries and polymer presses. Most success i had was putting those machines near the top of the planetoid where the temperature is really low and all the hydrogen accumulates. Hydrogen is pretty nice to keep stuff cold.

Does anyone know what tile is the one the desalinator interacts with the background? Normaly it would be the middle one, but if there are an uneven number of tiles it can shift one tile But on the desalinator there are the liquid ports... So maybe it would work a bit better with a radiant gas pipe which can run below the liquid pipes? But then gas in pipes has way less mass than liquids, so it would not cool that much if the machine is running 24/7

Archived