Hard-to-undo mistakes

So, what are mistakes we can make in spaced-out that are very hard to undo? Besides the usual of running out of vital resources such as O2, etc here are some ideas:

Cooking beetahives (they die above 0C). Now your uranium enrichment is 80% less efficient, permanently. Is this the only critter that doesn't care-package (or have mooteors)?

Niobium volcano disaster: Debates rage, but yes it can rock-gas. In my mishaps, not as permanent as one would like.

Regolith: Waiting too much. It overheats and landing spaces tend to go away (but may come back). You could still brute-force with abandon-ship full of dupes in exosuits and interplanetary payloads, I think. Niobium is a good dual use raw/refined metal if you get that volcano under control...

Artifacts: They aren't renewable (I don't think) except for coffee mugs (which are relatively crappy decor-wise). Can they be lost with "abandon ship"?

Sand: Filtration medium is harder to come by than the base game, but usually it is fixed with a rock crusher.

Artifacts do regenerate on space POI.

Sand is easily renewable - you can mine it from space POI, which regenerate over time. You can crush rocks to get sand. You can crush ceramic to get sand. But mainly (and I am not certain if all starts are able to get it) you can get salt water/brine from geysers, extract salt and use rock crusher to get table salt (100 kg of salt => 100 kg of sand + 5 g of table salt).

So, what are mistakes we can make in spaced-out that are very hard to undo?

• Letting a critter species go extinct. Although I think most of the ones I ranch now (hatch, drecko, puft, slug, pacu, sweetles) will eventually come out of the printer. But as you noted beetas do not and they are particularly environment-sensitive. 
  • Letting wheat or tofu go extinct.
  • Letting pacu eat non-replaceable seeds, like buddy buds. Especially if it's because someone carelessly dropped it at a shift change.
  • Landing a rover and trailblazer on the regolith asteroid and then having a vole eat your steel before you can build the landing pad. :shock: 
  • Not adequately hardening your tundra base before pushing the big red button.

Tangent: in my current game I successfully transplanted a beeta hive and fly-traps to my home base for cheap & plentiful hydrogen and I am super proud of it.

Screen Shot 2022-03-13 at 11.30.06 PM.png

5 hours ago, meekay said:

Letting pacu eat non-replaceable seeds, like buddy buds. Especially if it's because someone carelessly dropped it at a shift change.

Buddy buds aren`t even that bad. Pacu can eat wheezeworts as well.

5 hours ago, meekay said:

Landing a rover and trailblazer on the regolith asteroid and then having a vole eat your steel before you can build the landing pad. :shock: 

They can eat steel? I thought they could only eat iron.

Anyway i think the hard to undo stuff is when you mess up your piping and your gasses mix up in some part of your base. Fixing that can be such a pain, especially when random gasses get stuck in random rooms causing trouble. Not to mention that you might get some gas deletion in the process. Liquids can be a pain as well. Especially on cold planetoids. Dupes keep mopping them up, the stuff freezes, thaws and spills again all over the place. It can take several cycles to clean that up.

Wheezeworts are care packages and jumping joyas (also a care package) are strictly better than buddy buds gameplay-wise. But it would still be a big setback as care-packages are slow.

Saturn critter trap seeds? Don't let those end up in the mouth of a hungry fish!

On 3/16/2022 at 1:03 AM, Jurij I. Gorkij said:

Artifacts do regenerate on space POI.

Sand is easily renewable - you can mine it from space POI, which regenerate over time. You can crush rocks to get sand. You can crush ceramic to get sand. But mainly (and I am not certain if all starts are able to get it) you can get salt water/brine from geysers, extract salt and use rock crusher to get table salt (100 kg of salt => 100 kg of sand + 5 g of table salt).

I would add dashasalt vines.  Even domestically grown, they are sand positive if you have a chlorine vent.

On 3/17/2022 at 3:28 PM, calibayzone said:

jumping joyas (also a care package) are strictly better than buddy buds gameplay-wise

The advantage of buddy buds for me is that they emit floral scent. It gives dupes a daily de-stress and suppresses other germs, including radioactive particles.

On 3/16/2022 at 8:18 AM, calibayzone said:

Cooking beetahives (they die above 0C). Now your uranium enrichment is 80% less efficient, permanently. Is this the only critter that doesn't care-package (or have mooteors)?

What often happens to me is the hives get buried under solidifed nuclear waste and the beetas die out, then the hives starve to death. I finally had enough of that and modded my Uranium centrifuge to process depleted uranium at 2% efficiency, extracting more and more enriched uranium from it so it approaches 50% in the long run (the other 50% is lost in excavation).

17 hours ago, calibayzone said:

Hives starve?

I remember they changed them to not die from lack of food just before release just so they won`t randomly go extinct before you reach them. I`m not sure if they fixed them dieing from liquid CO2 and chlorine randomly stacking on top of them though.

Digging out hot raw minerals when you are feeding stone hatches using corner drop waterlocks.  I wish my dupes would know better than to carry 1000 kg of 1000 C obsidian destroying everything.  Though this isn't that hard to solve, as you can just put the rock in a place where the dupes can't get it. 

What's hard is when hot debris keeps forming and burns up the waterlocks and floods the rooms filled with hot rocks with gas.  The gas is too hot to pump.

3 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Digging out hot raw minerals when you are feeding stone hatches using corner drop waterlocks.  I wish my dupes would know better than to carry 1000 kg of 1000 C obsidian destroying everything.

Along these same lines, launching a rocket, and then discovering a couple of cycles later that your dupes loaded a bin in the cabin with a bunch of hot obsidian or whatever, and now the cabin air temp is 60°C and climbing.

Was fortunate enough for them to have suits for them to wear the whole way home for an Apollo 13 style mission abort.

57 minutes ago, meekay said:

Along these same lines, launching a rocket, and then discovering a couple of cycles later that your dupes loaded a bin in the cabin with a bunch of hot obsidian or whatever, and now the cabin air temp is 60°C and climbing.

Was fortunate enough for them to have suits for them to wear the whole way home for an Apollo 13 style mission abort.

I wish I could put temperature limits on things going in to containers or buildings.

Archived