[Suggestion] Better sunken chest loot

While we are at reworking some old stuff that was just a little weak, I want to mention the sunken chest loot-table. 

I really like the idea of the hunt for sunken chests and I would love this beeing a thing in DST. And for decoration the chests look really cool, but tbh I don't know if anybody does them for the loot :grin:
I think the loot-table is pretty bad compared to the effort it takes to get one. Would be cool to have a much higher chance for rare gems or rare items like the Gnarwail Horn. 

Maybe a simple fix for the DST Treasure Hunters? :D

I think it would be great if the chests had the chance to spawn all of the possible ruins loot. Not frequently, but it would be nice to be able to get those items on non-cave servers.

It would also be great for a chance/increased chance of a lazy forager, as the ocean is about the only place where it's actually useful.

I really love hunting for these treasure chests.  They give a great first autumn goal for an sea-life start.  Unfortunately the *only* things worth getting are a lantern (which is useful, but without reliable lightbulbs to refill not really) and a cane (great to get a cane before winter but you're on a boat lol so it doesn't really matter.)

It would be cool if they had a bit more useful loot - problem is... what is useful loot?  I kinda like how they have loots based on a theme, but I'm not sure what I'd ask for out of them to make them much better...

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

I really love hunting for these treasure chests.  They give a great first autumn goal for an sea-life start.  Unfortunately the *only* things worth getting are a lantern (which is useful, but without reliably lightbulbs to refill not really) and a cane (great to get a gain before winter but you're on a boat lol so it doesn't really matter.)

It would be cool if they had a bit more useful loot - problem is... what is useful loot?  I kinda like how they have loots based on a theme, but I'm not sure what I'd ask for out of them to make them much better...

What if they had exclusive loot? Nothing you need, just some unique goodies like how the ruins has stuff like lazy forager & really good armor. Wondering if exclusive loot would be a fun reward or an annoying thing that makes people feel like they have to get chests but don't want to.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

What if they had exclusive loot? Nothing you need, just some unique goodies like how the ruins has stuff like lazy forager & really good armor. Wondering if exclusive loot would be a fun reward or an annoying thing that makes people feel like they have to get chests but don't want to.

A few of my biggest gripes when it comes to full time sailing are lack of decent weapon options before you take out crab king, lack of lightbulbs to refuel lanterns / mining hats, lack of ranged weapons (b/c sometimes you need some reach) and probably lack of cool clothes to show off I've been sailing.

It would be cool to solve this with items that you couldn't craft, but could *only* get from sunken chests.  Nothing super op so you wouldn't need to go out there but awesome enough to entertain / reward us for the effort.

My entry to the loot table would be:
Cutlass Supreme, Lantern Oil, Pirate Hat, and Flintlock.

Cutlass Supreme - same as sw version.  Darksword damage, 150 uses.
Lantern Oil - 5 uses, each use can fill a lantern item to 100%.  This is usable on mining hat, lantern, and deck illuminator.
Pirate Hat - Same as sw version.  Extends explore range and restores sanity (minor.)
Flintlock - Basically a reskin of a blowdart.  Could just be a blowdart instead for simplicity.

(Or if Klei wanted to go all the way for the flintlock it could be a 10 use item that needs to be refilled with gunpowder each shot, but also include gunpowder in the chest loot)

On 3/13/2022 at 9:57 AM, HumanBean150 said:

Fireflies from waterlogged work well for this!

Waterlogged biomes are nowhere near common enough to be taken into account honestly. If they were gigantic or much more common then sure, but as it stands they're rarely something you'll see if you're not actively searching for them.

On 3/11/2022 at 7:25 PM, lionking102 said:

While we are at reworking some old stuff that was just a little weak, I want to mention the sunken chest loot-table. 

I really like the idea of the hunt for sunken chests and I would love this beeing a thing in DST. And for decoration the chests look really cool, but tbh I don't know if anybody does them for the loot :grin:
I think the loot-table is pretty bad compared to the effort it takes to get one. Would be cool to have a much higher chance for rare gems or rare items like the Gnarwail Horn. 

Maybe a simple fix for the DST Treasure Hunters? :D

loot should be better and they should be renewable, for example by killing crab king, which is a useless one time boss at the time

i think a no brainer item should be gnrawail horns, which are very difficult to get otherwise

On 3/12/2022 at 8:09 AM, Shosuko said:

Flintlock - Basically a reskin of a blowdart.  Could just be a blowdart instead for simplicity.

That gives an idea of skins that drastically change not only looks but animation and sound. Skin for blowdart that is a pirate gun, sounds like a pirate gun and shoots like it would likely sell like hot buns.

Aside better Sunken Chests loot, I would argue for a way to efficiently & naturally dispose off all the Azure Quill Floats, Dusky Spoons, Heavy Weighted Lures, Sea Fishing Rods we get in the 30% bracket; like either eliminate them from loot table or give us pls the ability to somehow "recycle" them into raw materials. Or at least being made burnable. Plus perhaps sort out from Sunken Chest loot table those Tin Fishin' Bin, Boat Kit, Anchor Kit blueprints? If we're sailing in treasure-hunting capacity I believe we got all possible boat upgrades already, no need for respective Blueprints really. Oh, and Anchor Kit made burnable too, pls?!

15 hours ago, Wonz said:

That gives an idea of skins that drastically change not only looks but animation and sound. Skin for blowdart that is a pirate gun, sounds like a pirate gun and shoots like it would likely sell like hot buns.

No joke - stuff like this is what makes big money skins sell.  If they had re-skins with such depth to them I'd definitely buy them, even $10-20 for a single item with so much going on.

Archived