• Atrium
    • Waterlogged
    • Brine
    • Mix of biome
    • New biome
    • None of the above
  4. 4. What main personality do they have

5. 5. What the theme of the NPC

Long ago I make threads about NPCs but I never ask what should the new NPCs be.

Spoiler

So here is my idea for an NPC, he an exiled pig man who lives in the mushy forest ( a little biome like pearl ) cave where all 4 mush trees collect and planted there, he lives in the center of the small forest where the light of the surface can see him, he is called pig ear he fur is almost as white as the Bunny men and he looks timider than the other pign and his more chubby and red eye like the bunnymen, with his mushroomy shack selling mushroomy and fungi things, he would trade his good with gold nuggets, he wears a funrobe and a funcap that he will change every day, he ear look like Werepig and his fur grow longer, hairy, and turn into a shade of gray he will grow fang and his hove will become claw during the full moon or you give him to many monster meats but he will not attack you but during every full moon or when you give him too many monster meats, he will drink 1 elixir to test out if it will get rid of the curse it would probably have 18 different effects based on what you gave them when they ask for 4 ingredients for the elixir.

1. on fire ( that does not damage you and can't be spread ) for 185 seconds and enemy catch on fire if you damage them you need 3 Redcaps 1 Red Gem.

2. explode every 5 seconds for 20 seconds deal no damage to yourself but damage thing around you for 50 damage needs 2 red caps 1 Slurtle Slime 1 Red Gem.

3. radiate 100 Celsius for 45 seconds needs 1 Redcap 1 Nitre 1 Slurtle Slime 1 Red Gem.

4. radiate 100 Celsius for 45 seconds needs 3 Blue caps 1 Blue gem.

5. full wetness for 30 seconds and then the wetness will drop to 0 needs 2 Blue caps 1 Lesser Glow Berry 1 Blue gem.

6. glow for 45 seconds and 4 tile wide needs 1 blue cap 1 glow berry 1 Lesser Glow Berry 1 Blue gem.

7. craft, chop, mine, eat, cook, gather, sleep, attack, run, 1.5 faster for 8 minutes needs 3 green caps 1 green gem.

8. attack deal 5 chip damage every 2 seconds for 30 seconds and plant grow 2 times faster for 8 minutes need 2 green caps 1 Cave Lichen 1 green gem.

9. for 1 minute everything you touch has 30% more durability/spoilage time needs 1 green cap 1 eel 1 Cave Lichen 1 green gem.

10. gain 5 sanities every second in darkness, every 5 seconds during dusk and night, and negate sanity effect of things that make you lose sanity for 45 seconds needs 3 Moon Shrooms 1 yellow gem.

11. gain 3 times restore when sleeping, slow down the hunger drain when sleeping by 0.5, restore stats 2 times faster for 2 minutes needs 2 Moon Shrooms 1 orange gem 1 yellow gem.

12. shadow creature of any type will not spawn ( that are not bosses ) can't spawn for 8 minutes needs 1 Moon Shroom 1 purple gem 1 orange gem 1 yellow gem.

S13. produce the four 4 spores that will explode for 10 damage for every 5 seconds for 70 seconds needs 1 of each mushroom.

S14. cure the were pig curse need to drink 3 days before the full moon or after the curse has taken place, if the pig doesn't drink this again they will still turn into a werepig needs 1 of each mushroom must finish all the side quest and seasonal quest and find all of the elixirs and secret elixirs.

S15 gives 40 to all stats needs 4 normal mushrooms.

S16 gives 20 to all stats and make the drinker poop out 30 poop, make the compost bin faster, make the growth formula faster, and make plants that you planted need less nutrient last for 8 minutes needs 3 normal mushrooms 1 guano.

S17 gives 15 to all stats make flower and plant give more stats for 5 minutes needs 2 normal mushrooms 1 lune tree blossom 1 guano.

S18 gives 10 to all stats turn every bunny and bunny men that you touch into beardling and beardlord for 4 minutes needs 1 normal mushroom 1 beard hair 1 lune tree blossom 1 guano.

The one with 4 mushrooms gives 20 to all stats, 3 mushrooms give 15, 2 mushrooms give 10, and 1 mushroom gives 5.

Every three elixirs found friendship will level up by 1. except for the secret elixirs.

3 days before the full moon he will list the ingredients he wants, you can give the ingredients before that but he will not drink it until the full moon, you can make him drink it faster by giving him 1 monster's meat.

After he drinks the elixir he will sell them at the shop, where he will sell you.

30 gold nuggets for a gold hoof ( 1 hoof means 30 gold nuggets ). tier 3

15 gold hoove for a gold nose ( 1 nose means 450 gold nuggets ). tier 4

5 gold noses for a gold truffle ( 1 truffle means 2250 gold nuggets). tier 5

1 gold truffle for 3,6,9,12,15 elixir that will change every day. tier 5

1 gold nose for 2,5,8,11,14 elixir that will change every day. tier 4

1 gold hoof for 1,4,7,10,13 elixir that will change every day. tier 3

25 gold nuggets for 16,17,18 elixir that change every day. tier 2

25 gold nuggets for a Moon Shroom. tier 2

20 gold nuggets for 3 caps will change every day. tier 2

20 gold nuggets for beard hair. tier 2

10 gold nuggets for normal mushrooms ( like in gorge ). tier 1

10 gold nuggets for any of the spores. tier 1

5 gold nuggets to donate to the study ( increased friendship level by 1 if done 100 times ). tier 1

10 gold hoove for the fungus planter ( can plant any mushroom ). tier 3

5 gold hoove for the spores capture ( can capture any spores ). tier 3

10 gold noses for the lunar mushseed. tier 4

5 gold noses for the 3 mushseeds that will change every day. tier 4

10 gold truffles fun gnome planter (let you make little mush gnome but with less health and damage) tier 5

5 gold truffles spore lantern ( lantern that power by spores have four slots and have longer range) tier 5

He will give you a handful of thanks ( 60 random mushrooms )at levels 2,4,5,7 and when you do side and seasonal quest, tier 1 at Lv1 tier 2 at Lv3 tier 3 at Lv6 tier 4 at Lv8 tier 5 at Lv9.

The main quest is to get accepted back to the village and find the cure for the curse.

1. At level 1 you need to deliver an elixir to one of the pigs in the village he will show you where the village is and the name of the pig.

2. At level 1 deliver random numbers of elixirs based on numbers of villages evenly to all of the pig villages.

3. At level 2 hire a Bunny man and a Rock lobster as assistance for him.

4. At level 2 hire a pigman and a merm by giving them an elixir in exchange for them to be assistance for him.

5. At level 3 give scientific documents to all of the villages.

6. At level 3 give a letter to the pig king.

7. At level 4 make 3 new elixirs.

8. At level 4 make 3 new elixirs.

9. At level 5 make 3 new elixirs. ( friendship level up by 1)

10. At level 5 make 3 new elixirs.

11. At level 6 discover 2 secret elixirs.

12. At level 6 discover 3 secret elixirs.

13. At level 7 discover a cure for werepigs.

14. At level 7 sent another document and letters to all of the village and to the pig king.

15. At level 8 give the cure elixirs to every pigman.

16. At level 8 give the pig king all of the secret elixirs

17. Atl level 9 sign the citizenship certificate.

18. At level 9 build a house at the pig king village. ( friendship level up by 1)

19. At level 10 sign a trade deal with the 4 race

20. At level 10 set up the shop in that village.

If every quest has been done he will give you fungi growth elixir, it will make more mushrooms grow make them older and mushtree bloom, need to refill with spores. and maybe a key to a boss, and he will sometimes be in the surface world selling elixirs and traveling on the road.

Sidequest

1. deliver the daily elixirs to the 4 races

2. give pig ear mush cap

3. give pig ear mushy cake

4. help get rid of mush gnome

5. help get rid of spider

6. give him moon glasses

7. buy from him

8. give him thulecite

9. give him Magiluminescence

10. give him nightmare fuel

complete all of them the friendship level up by 1.

Seasonal quest

1. Summer red spores.

2. Spring green spores.

3. Autumn normal mushrooms that grow on stumps in the sunken forest.

4. Winter blue spores.

complete all of them the friendship level up by 1.

That's all I have to say what is your idea for NPCs?

And what do you think of my NPC?

26 minutes ago, Paoling said:

Why are you not so sure about it?

Well it’s just my opinion so don’t take it personally, I think the 1.5 faster everything for any character sounds too unbalanced, the exploding damage could probably need a lot of tuning and seems a bit unfitting, and I don’t understand why would anyone get the wetness elixir, even for boss fights it’s a bit expensive considering the alternatives, an elixir to produce poop is unnecessary since the werepig-lighbulbs combo exist and it’s super cheap to do…

I don’t see much real utility in most of them. But like I said without being too specific on numbers, I like the general Idea.

Examples of elixirs that don’t overlap with other mechanics and I believe could work instead:

- An expensive elixir that allows you to cast a rain (or snow if it’s winter) for a day, on whatever shard you are.

- An elixir that protects Woodie from becoming werebeaver for half a day

- An elixir that magically summons a pig, or a bunnyman, or a beefalo (they can all go extinct, it would work to bring them back if they do)

Etc.

48 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I think the 1.5 faster everything for any character sounds too unbalanced

Think of all the time and resources you need to get to level 6 friendship and then you have a 20% chance that they will actually sell that like in animals crossing when there a chance that your favorite villager might not be on the next island so you have to waste time finding them but if you think it's unbalanced then what should I change about it?

the exploding damage could probably need a lot of tuning and seems a bit unfitting

It's like when you mix the wrong ingredient into a chemical and it explodes, I want that to be an elixir, it only deals 50 aoe damage every 5 seconds for 20 seconds that is not unbalanced.

I don’t understand why would anyone get the wetness elixir, even for boss fights it’s a bit expensive considering the alternatives

They can use it on themself, it is like the opposite of Fish Cordon Bleu but then it turns you to zero wetness instantly,

if you are at maximum wetness then wetness means nothing.

an elixir to produce poop is unnecessary since the werepig-lighbulbs combo exist and it’s super cheap to do…

You only focus on the pooping, it is more about the garden it's more about getting plants less nutrient and making all of the fertilizer easier and faster.

I don’t see much real utility in most of them. But like I said without being too specific on numbers, I like the general Idea.

What is wrong with most of them can you give me the reason why? also, I'm really good at balancing I think the time and resources you need to buy one of these is enough of a challenge to overcome and make the item more balanced.

Spoiler

- An expensive elixir that allows you to cast a rain (or snow if it’s winter) for a day, on whatever shard you are.

I think that would be a good reward for the seasonal quests like a seasonal elixir that he sells what is best for the season like, he sells snow elixir during summer, sunny elixir during winter, rainy elixir during autumn, and clear sky elixir during spring, the characters would drink and burp out a cloud that will cause the weather and only affect the small area.

- An elixir that protects Woodie from becoming werebeaver for half a day

I think the ingredient needs to be 3 color mushrooms and 1 log.

- An elixir that magically summons a pig, or a bunnyman, or a beefalo (they can all go extinct, it would work to bring them back if they do)

I think that need 1 Moon Shroom 1 bunny puff 1 pigtail 1 beefalo fur and the animation would be the survivor's sleep and dream 1 of the three and they come out of the dream asleep, also should another one for Rock lobster merm and Volt Goat they need 1 Moon Shroom 1 Fish 1 Rock 1 volt goat horn.

Is there any NPCs idea you come up with?

I just want a Merm traders like in gorge.

Maybe they sell seed that you couldn't get normally or seed of tree that are hard to get.

Seed like cactus seed, banana seed, driftwood seed, sugarwood seed, spiky seed,

I chose "Walrus" because, well, I love walruses. As for biome, it'd be pretty cool to see an floating Iceberg biome that appears in a random part of the ocean every Winter. Figure maybe they could be a walrus fisherman-guy that gives a limited number of amazing weapons or tools depending on the type of fish you give him per Winter.

1 hour ago, Owlrust said:

I chose "Walrus" because, well, I love walruses. As for biome, it'd be pretty cool to see an floating Iceberg biome that appears in a random part of the ocean every Winter. Figure maybe they could be a walrus fisherman-guy that gives a limited number of amazing weapons or tools depending on the type of fish you give him per Winter.

It's like Pearl weighs mechanic but it's actually useful.

2 hours ago, SecretPizzaMan said:

You know that trade inn guy? It'd be cool you occasionally see them in the swamp but doesn't stay.

Their only purpose would be tips or lore and they would only speak once in a encounter.

That's a really good idea but I think he needs to do something maybe sell beefalo stuff or clothing?

3 hours ago, Paoling said:

This is game is called DST not Don't Starve I know it sounds familiar but it a totally different game.

Oookay, I dislike NPCs in Don't Starve Together.

I think they brazenly go against the cold, unforgiving world feeling that the first game and nearly almost all of the original world building was based on. I get it's become a somewhat unpopular opinion, but I really, really, REALLY dislike it. I was okay with the Gorge, I thought the NPCs for a completely different world, separate from the "Unrelenting, bleak chance of survival" constant were fine. But when Pearl was added, I think I audibly groaned when I saw the patch notes.

Looking at existing "NPCs" prior to Pearl, they were simple minded, attackable, neutral or flat out aggressive mobs. If they weren't, they were Pig King, a glutton who doesn't care for you besides monetary exchanges, Chester, who follows you only because you carry his one and only eyeball around, and Glommer, a bug from possibly the moon, who gives you sanity, a bad thing in lunar environments, meaning Glommer is actively "attacking" you. Also Hutch I guess, but even then he's just dead set on solving detective cases with Starsky.

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

Even grandma-chan? :wilsondisappointed:

Pearl being an invincible, talking, friendly, smiling face of "You must befriend me to get to effectively the final boss" is, in my opinion, horrendous. But I know that's just me.

I hate them. A lot. I get that a lot of people don't, as I've seen NPC threads pop up commonly, but boy do I really despise having a world that still tries to say "Hostile at every possible turn!" also now has an island of peaceful dancing crab lady who has a sad sappy backstory, that you absolutely MUST be friendly to and waste your life tending to for vital game progression. And it's weird, because the payoff is murdering her husband after giving him a gift, anyways.

I don't like the world even having a smidge of relent. I mean, early dabbles in the field of NPC-ering got this reaction:

On 2/11/2013 at 7:25 PM, Kevin said:

The shop files were for in-game vendors who would sell you recipes and resources. Thankfully we decided against that idea Soon after seeing it in game. They totally ruined the mood.

I get that it's "A New Reign" so obviously the world is changing. But it feels so... gross almost, at least to me, to see more pushes in a direction that the characters are having a good time, that the world isn't a cruel device literally made to torture people to death for the amusement of some unseen force. I can get a few breaks, causes for celebration amongst peers such as the occasional holiday splurge, but otherwise seeing smiling faces and directions taken that push more and more towards a growing symbiotic relationship with the world makes it feel almost stagnant, that a world that once only changed to bring further ways to torment and test your will to survive, is now a world comfortable with adding fishing minigames, weird giant crows and a carnival, and a little old lady who likes to show you some (admittedly) sick moves all the while calling you "dearie".

Anways, to make the longer post short:

I dislike NPCs in this game. Even the idea of them.

6 minutes ago, Auth said:

And it's weird, because the payoff is murdering her husband after giving him a gift, anyways.

Crab king has an unused death animation where he straight up dies. Also, this individual character respawns. So the players just beat the **** out of CK. Still kinda silly.

Gang goes through hell getting back to the Archive.
Charlie did something before leaving.
Portal is flickery.
Montage trying everything to turn it on.

i t   w o r k s

Gorge gang pops out in one big pile of goats and merms, portal shorts out and explodes, broken beyond repair.
Merm trader's head pokes up out of the pile and looks around happily.

New NPCs.

I just want my Gorge wrapup darnit.

Archived