Ghost form problem

Hello,

I play in endless dedicated servers

For several times now I have died while exploring caves and it has been very tedious to go all way back to portal to revive. When dying far in caverns it can take good 5+ minutes to do so.

My thoughts are, if there are unlimited continues, why do I need to hover all the way back to revive? Perhaps the ghost could do stuff to quicken its revival, that would be more fun.

In fact, the portal resurrection function is just a last resort insurance, you can use many other methods to resurrect, such as making a meat statue in the Magic tab, which allows you to instantly resurrect when you die by clicking an on-screen button.

2 hours ago, Anzki said:

My thoughts are, if there are unlimited continues, why do I need to hover all the way back to revive?

for the same reason you aren't invincible.

death in a videogame is not supposed to be something to actively attempt or look forward to. it always comes with inconvenience and penalties.

2 hours ago, Anzki said:

Hello,

I play in endless dedicated servers

For several times now I have died while exploring caves and it has been very tedious to go all way back to portal to revive. When dying far in caverns it can take good 5+ minutes to do so.

My thoughts are, if there are unlimited continues, why do I need to hover all the way back to revive? Perhaps the ghost could do stuff to quicken its revival, that would be more fun.

My god… No, just.. no.

I play this game to be challenged, I genuinely enjoy games where Dying at all has serious consequences, State of Decay, State of Decay 2, Dont Starve, Shipwrecked, Hamlet, & to an extent: Don’t Starve Together are all games built on this Permadeath feature, Endless Mode lessens that: But it’s not a “weeee Dying doesn’t matter I will just revive & keep going like I wasn’t just killed by something” experience- there are consequences.. you will be punished, these types of games encourage you to play with a fight or flight mindset:

If your looting a house in SoD 2 for example and you end up making enough noise to bring the whole neighborhood in on you.. are you going to stay in that house and die or jump out the nearest window take a tiny bit of damage and run for your life?

With Don’t Starve: Do I stay in this cave a little longer gathering resources or do I return to the surface before a wave of Depthworms I wasn’t equipped to deal with spawns?

That is the game you are playing, and to ask for a way for dying to be meaningless not requiring any effort at all: would be to ask for something the Dont Starve Franchise should never be..

I try to keep an unbiased opinion on mostly everything, but this is one view point I won’t be moved on… the moment a game I buy with the intent that dying has consequences no longer has any consequences: I may as well abandon the franchise & look for that experience elsewhere within another game.

"I try to keep an unbiased opinion on mostly everything, but this is one view point I won’t be moved on"

Okay well, I disagree completely, walking back 5 minutes does not fill me with joy, I know I failed already and lost all my items. walking back to where I died Is difficult itself. Reviving sooner or later wont change the difficulty of the situation.

39 minutes ago, Anzki said:

"I try to keep an unbiased opinion on mostly everything, but this is one view point I won’t be moved on"

Okay well, I disagree completely, walking back 5 minutes does not fill me with joy, I know I failed already and lost all my items. walking back to where I died Is difficult itself. Reviving sooner or later wont change the difficulty of the situation.

Have you played as Wanda or used a Life Giving Amulet? Dying and Reviving instantly takes a lot of the challenge out of getting back to your stuff once you die.

For example- I’ve died in Winter in a Endless Server while fighting Deerclops many times, having to float all the way back to revive station then while freezing to death (because my thermal stone and the rest of my gear is with that Deerclops) I have to scramble to get supplies up to stay warm enough to actually make it back to my gear that I died and dropped.

Instant Revive will remove any shred of “Uncompromising” DST has.

If your just wanting to skip the becoming a ghost phase altogether: Play the game Mode called Wilderness..

Wilderness is similar to Endless except dying skips becoming a ghost and you can pick any character you want to be after dying- you will Respawn in the same world again somewhere randomly on the map and yes.. you can recover your stuff when you die.

In All Game Modes.

1 hour ago, Anzki said:

That's because it's part of the punishment for dying. 

Unlimited continues doesn't mean that you shouldn't avoid dying or care less. If you don't want to loose your world in survival or travel very slowly all the way back to portal in endless, prepare yourself better and don't die. 

There are many alternatives to reviving at the portal, such as life amulets (Don't put them in your backpack), meat effigies, and there are touch stones in the caves

There's also a plus to these alternatives, they don't take away max health!

14 hours ago, Anzki said:

Isn't that, part of the dang punishment?

If you're playing solo, I don't see any harm in using a dev command to get to the portal faster if needed.

c_gonext("multiplayer_portal") should take you immediately to the portal if you're in the caves (correct me if I'm wrong). Afterwards, if you had Hutch with you, you can drop the Star-Sky prior and use c_gonext("hutch_fishbowl") to teleport back to it to get to your original location (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

If you're playing with friends, then Telltale hearts would be your best method of revival early on until you get amulets and whatnot.

This guy just doesnt want to float back to the portal when he dies, why are you all thinking that "He wants no penalty at all for dying"? He still has to retrieve back all his stuff. Its just annoying, and especially so in caves, because you not only have to traverse through darkness scratching every conner while floating to portal, but have to sit through loading screens to surface, and then back to the caves(cave portal needs to be found to use it first, which, at least for me, doesnt happen very often). Its just very time consuming and unfun

6 hours ago, Anzki said:

it does since the weather might change, hounds or bosses could spawn and your dropped food spoil

take that time in the caves to mine stalagmites to get red gems or kill bunnymens while insane if you wanna insta resurrection

37 minutes ago, Random Guy000 said:

This guy just doesnt want to float back to the portal when he dies, why are you all thinking that "He wants no penalty at all for dying"? He still has to retrieve back all his stuff. Its just annoying, and especially so in caves, because you not only have to traverse through darkness scratching every conner while floating to portal, but have to sit through loading screens to surface, and then back to the caves(cave portal needs to be found to use it first, which, at least for me, doesnt happen very often). Its just very time consuming and unfun

no because there is a portal in the safe biomes from the caves

unfun maybe imagine if the penalty was loosinf the world..

4 hours ago, Anzki said:

There are punishment in this game @NightfallsCurse?

are you asking seriously? the game literally punish you for everything you did wrong or forget to do

18 hours ago, Anzki said:

be more prepared to explore new things . 
bring amulet at least.
if you host your own server just rollback .
dying in ds/t is a learning prosses it gave you unpleasant punishment to make u wont easily try to be suicidal next time

4 hours ago, Random Guy000 said:

It may be super annoying, but this is DST we're talking about, this game is full of punishments and your punishments can be time-consuming and unfun, that's the point in DST! Death is part of your learning process in this game, be happy you at least didn't lose the world

6 hours ago, prettynuggets said:

be more prepared to explore new things . 
bring amulet at least.
if you host your own server just rollback .
dying in ds/t is a learning prosses it gave you unpleasant punishment to make u wont easily try to be suicidal next time

Even rolling back has its consequences compared to what the OP wants- Rollbacks will set you back by an entire game day which means, if a pack of hounds were set to spawn & chase you or you were low on Sanity the previous day running from Terrorbeaks- when you Rollback you Rollback & repeat having to fight those things.

Not to mention: some of the things you’ll experience between the point you rollback to & the point where you died can change (such as if your on a boat trip and a RockJaw shark spawns to attack it when in the original run- He did not)

Even with Rollbacks, Don’t Starve is not an easy game, and neither should it ever become one.

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

i only giving some tips. 
instead asking the game to be changed on his own way finding it easier . i gave him list on what he can do to make it "not a 5 min trip to get revived"
rollback is not that bad . you died . u know how u died . u can learn how not died in same way after rolling back . 
as i said 

6 hours ago, prettynuggets said:

Archived