Bulbous Lightbug considered overpowered

The topic of this post is quite simple: The Bulbous Lightbug is overpowered and needs a nerf.

Now, I know that Klei does not throw nerfs or buffs around lightly. The only nerf I can remember (outside of a rework) is the nerf to Bunnymen drops. Which was a good call. Bunnymen comfortably solved food problems for all eternity by day 15 (pre-nerf). Many things in the game are strong, stronger than their alternatives even, but should not be nerfed, e.g. Wolfgang or Potatoes or Wolfgang with Potatoes. Here's why I think that Lightbugs still deserve a nerf:

The quest for an reliable infinite light source has been one of the holy grails of DST for a long time. We used to plant fireflies around our base for the little ambient light they provide, we built our bases around pig-torches and we abused every infinite light glitch we could find. We were overjoyed when the festive lights provided an infinite source of light for the Toadstool lights.

After many, many years, Klei decided to add an official, best infinite light source: If you kill the celestial champion, it drops it's crown. This one can be deconstructed for five enlightened shards, which can be placed in a Mushlight for infinite light on that particular mushlight. This, in my opinion, is a great change, as it gives a very strong incentive of killing the Celestial Champion.

The Celestial Champion is the first boss fight with three phases. It also has a lot of special mechanics surrounding it, a special cutscene, takes forever to get to, etc. You could very well say that the CC is currently the "final boss" of DST. It's reward: an infinite light source, either for your head or your base. This is what it takes to get a true infinite lightsource.

...If the lightbug weren't there. Here's how to get infinite light in the first autumn for your base:

1. Craft three or four bugnets (costs 6 silk, super cheap)

2. Find the Blue Mushroom Forest in the caves (not dangerous at all, can be found quite early)

3. Grab every lightbulb in the Lunar Grotto and exit with about 30 lightbugs

4. Place them all around your base

Voilá, infinite light. Who needs Toadstool? Who needs the Celestial Champion? This is cheap, renewable and early to get. It completely breaks the game. Light is probably the second most potent looming danger after the constant drain of hunger. The quest for infinite light has been solved, way too easily. The incentive for killing the Celestial Champion? Gone.

My idea to fix the problem while keeping Lightbugs useful is to make Lightbugs die of hunger after some time (I'd suggest ~5 days) once they leave the plant, similar to Lunar Moths. This way, you could still keep some of them in your base and feed them occasionally. You could catch one of them and the three others follow you around. They'd still have some purpose, but could not be used as simple infinite light anymore.

Thanks for reading. I'd love to see what the rest of the community thinks about lightbugs, so leave a reply and tell me what you think.

Other free infinite light sources: Abigail, Midsummers Cawnival Ticket Booth / Many Decorations from it, Lunar Moth pet, Dragonscale Furnace.

I mean “Darkness” hasn’t been a problem for a long time now.. the Ticket booth in particular lights up just standing near it.

A lot of people do not want hamlet houses in DST because they feel their free infinite light will trivialize the danger, but.. the Midsummers Cawnival Ticket Booth is relatively cheap to craft and can be used as lights.. so Yeah.

I don’t think Lightbugs need a nerf compared to that.

Apparently I posted the most unpopular opinion in all of DST. But if you can just spam lightbugs into the base, what is the incentive of getting Enlightened Crown Shards? It's entire purpose is to provide infinite light for a late-game base. Where is the incentive to get them when lightbugs do the job just fine?

The listed "infinite light solutions" that are available early on are either ridiculous or only for an event. Abigail is character specific, a tiny light source and moves around. Same with the Lunar Moth Pet. The DFly-Furnace emits only a tiny amount of light. Lightbugs flood the base with light. Just as Mushlights are supposed to do with crown shards.

Let's ignore the fact lightbugs have pretty low health, move around constantly (meaning they are sooner or later just gonna be scattered around the world and not just in your base) and get in the way of things all the time.

Let's ignore the fact that unless you just started out playing the game, light should almost never be a big enough issue to worry about (especially when you're just in your base).

Let's ignore the fact that we have other infinite lightsources that are stationary on top of extremely easy to refuel lightsources that last you several ingame nights.

Let's ignore the fact that infinite light has never even remotely been something that trivializes darkness entirely.

Yeah, I guess they're op.

9 hours ago, Nettalie said:

meaning they are sooner or later just gonna be scattered around the world and not just in your base

Nope. They will wander around the area that you drop them of at. I have 2 lightbugs in my base that have been there for over 600 days now.

12 hours ago, Nettalie said:

Let's ignore the fact lightbugs have pretty low health, move around constantly (meaning they are sooner or later just gonna be scattered around the world and not just in your base) and get in the way of things all the time.

Let's ignore the fact that unless you just started out playing the game, light should almost never be a big enough issue to worry about (especially when you're just in your base).

Let's ignore the fact that we have other infinite lightsources that are stationary on top of extremely easy to refuel lightsources that last you several ingame nights.

Let's ignore the fact that infinite light has never even remotely been something that trivializes darkness entirely.

Yeah, I guess they're op.

This is about lighting up your base. Sure, for survival, killing bosses etc. lightbugs are useless. A miner hat will do just fine. But this is about people that like to build big bases. And make them nice.

Infinite light sources that are stationary, and also provide more light than a scaled furnace? Outside of events, they don't exist. You say "easy to refuel": Yeah sure, getting two stacks of Lightbulbs is easy. And putting them in your mushlights is easy. But with a big base, and dozens of mushlights spread all around, doing this every 24 days is cumbersome. That's why infinite light is so cool. Because it needs no maintenance.

This is purely about base building and the fact that good infinite stationary light is supposed to be acquired by killing the CC. Lightbugs just destroy that incentive. 

3 hours ago, freak532486 said:

This is about lighting up your base. Sure, for survival, killing bosses etc. lightbugs are useless. A miner hat will do just fine. But this is about people that like to build big bases. And make them nice.

Infinite light sources that are stationary, and also provide more light than a scaled furnace? Outside of events, they don't exist. You say "easy to refuel": Yeah sure, getting two stacks of Lightbulbs is easy. And putting them in your mushlights is easy. But with a big base, and dozens of mushlights spread all around, doing this every 24 days is cumbersome. That's why infinite light is so cool. Because it needs no maintenance.

This is purely about base building and the fact that good infinite stationary light is supposed to be acquired by killing the CC. Lightbugs just destroy that incentive. 

but what is that broken thing about having bugs arround the base? that you need to refuel your light items less often? if having bugs in base saves a player's life to the point of being considered op i think that player will die by a lot of things that arent remembering to refuel a miner hat...

lets make the game really hard not just annoying and grindy. Having to go to the caves just to release bugs in base every X days will only make them not used, it already happend with spores and lightbulbs in the lamps and those could reach almost a year and most people didnt go throw that pain because wasnt worth not even thinking about unbalanced

one thing is harvesting things and other is the game forcing you to repeat over and over the same taks for little reward, that kills the fun long term

30 minutes ago, Notecja said:

you never had a lureplants not-very far from base, huh?

Actually I have Lureplants IN My base, 3 of them to be exact.. I have discovered the easiest way to deal with hound waves.. it’s all a matter of getting into the center of a lureplant field without being attacked by the Lureplants, they make short work of hounds (save for the obvious fire ones)

18 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

but what is that broken thing about having bugs arround the base? that you need to refuel your light items less often? if having bugs in base saves a player's life to the point of being considered op i think that player will die by a lot of things that arent remembering to refuel a miner hat...

lets make the game really hard not just annoying and grindy. Having to go to the caves just to release bugs in base every X days will only make them not used, it already happend with spores and lightbulbs in the lamps and those could reach almost a year and most people didnt go throw that pain because wasnt worth not even thinking about unbalanced

one thing is harvesting things and other is the game forcing you to repeat over and over the same taks for little reward, that kills the fun long term

Its broken because good infinite base light is supposed to be a possible reward for killing the CC. Same with e.g. the DFly-Furnace, which provides constant level 4 fire heat. Sure, you could just use 4 wood or glommer goop on your fire pit. But the benefit of the Furnace is that it needs no maintenance.

If the lightbugs would be worse (maybe even with just a way smaller light radius, why not) then yeah you would have to maintain the light in the base, until you kill the CC. That one gives infinite light. That way, there is real motivation for killing the CC (and Toadstool).

Another example would be wood farming: Sure, you could chop wood by hand. But I prefer to kill the Fuelweaver and use the Reanimated Skeleton to mass-produce logs later on. That's my reward for killing a difficult boss (except i cheesed it with lureplants and houndius :mrgreen:)

9 hours ago, Notecja said:

you never had a lureplants not-very far from base, huh?

I did once (with lightbugs around everywhere). Killed the lureplant very quickly, was fun to see ~30 Lightbugs spawning in perfect alignment where the lureplant was ^^.

Quick note that most mobs don't attack lightbugs at all. Frogs don't, spiders also don't. Hounds do, but who even lets hounds near their base?

2 hours ago, freak532486 said:

Its broken because good infinite base light is supposed to be a possible reward for killing the CC. Same with e.g. the DFly-Furnace, which provides constant level 4 fire heat. Sure, you could just use 4 wood or glommer goop on your fire pit. But the benefit of the Furnace is that it needs no maintenance.

If the lightbugs would be worse (maybe even with just a way smaller light radius, why not) then yeah you would have to maintain the light in the base, until you kill the CC. That one gives infinite light. That way, there is real motivation for killing the CC (and Toadstool).

Another example would be wood farming: Sure, you could chop wood by hand. But I prefer to kill the Fuelweaver and use the Reanimated Skeleton to mass-produce logs later on. That's my reward for killing a difficult boss (except i cheesed it with lureplants and houndius :mrgreen:)

i wont lose more time with this since klei wont do any change.

Basically you wanna disturb noobs since they will be the only affected by this. You wanna disturb veterans that wanna decorate with them

lightbugs bring lag, can die and their light is mediocre. Also they live in the caves in a biome with molebats that are very agressive so a noob will need to survive the trip just to lag their server with a mediocre light source

kinda hypocrite wanting to nerf something for the noobs because you considere few light as gamebreaking thing but you are okey reseting the ruins + an armor that gives inmunity to damage + a hand item to control mini bosses made of bones + a helmet that makes you inmune to insanity and elightment by just placing 2 lure plants and a houndius (that might come from cheesing guardian and using boats for the shadow chess pieces).

isnt it more gamebreaking? 

On 12/6/2021 at 9:23 AM, freak532486 said:

That breaks the entire point of the argument, if you want to build big bases, you want to make them look pretty, and lightbugs look terrible added to the fact they cause lag

I havent seen any person apart from you that felt like "man i have no incentive in killing cc because i can just use lightbugs" you can say that to everything, you dont need to kill cc to have light, "i dont need to kill cc because i have a torch"

Archived