Shipwreck and Hamlet

Will their content or similar content be ever added to Don't Starve Together?

I would also love an adventure mode. 

Porting content from Don't Starve to DST shouldn't be that hard and would provide plenty of well, "content". Not to mention that Shipwreck's boats implementation in my opinion is much better than DST's.

Porting SW and HAM would take what little DS is holding onto right now away from it. There'd literally be no reason to get DS if this happens.
Both codebases for DST and DS are also extremely different as is, porting them would take insane amounts of effort and time, I don't think the cost would be worth it.

It also goes against Klei's wishes not to divide their community. Also do keep in mind that DS and DST are still unique games and are meant to offer unique experiences! It wouldn't make sense if they shared everything.

This is a personal thing mainly but I don't like DS/HAM boat mechanics. They feel like reskinned water walking instead of DST's actual boat like sailing which I enjoy.
There are still things they bring over like Wobsters and some SW dishes, but like I said they're meant to provide a unique experience. Nothing has been a direct 1:1 copy so far and I don't expect anything to ever be so. Both games have canopies now but they're very different and unique for example.

10 minutes ago, Bubblez said:

Porting content from Don't Starve to DST shouldn't be that hard and would provide plenty of well, "content". Not to mention that Shipwreck's boats implementation in my opinion is much better than DST's.

I'm not sure you understand the amount of differences between both games. If it were easy I'd expect there to be a lot more mods doing so. 
It'd be a very costly and extensive process to port over all of DS' stuff and if they wanted to I'd imagine they would've done so earlier.

Shipwrecked boats was just walking that required an additional thing.

If we got SW boats back at all I would still want them to steer like the new boats do.

These types of threads keep popping up, and what’s more important is that Klei actively acknowledges that they keep popping up.. they know it’s content lots of people want to see- but they have to do what they feel is a best use of their development time and resources.

I won’t completely give up hope until they straight up say No, but for now the closest your going to get to SW/Hamlet in DST is to buy a PC and download some completely free mods that lets you play them.

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Shipwrecked boats was just walking that required an additional thing.

If we got SW boats back at all I would still want them to steer like the new boats do.

These types of threads keep popping up, and what’s more important is that Klei actively acknowledges that they keep popping up.. they know it’s content lots of people want to see- but they have to do what they feel is a best use of their development time and resources.

I won’t completely give up hope until they straight up say No, but for now the closest your going to get to SW/Hamlet in DST is to buy a PC and download some completely free mods that lets you play them.

7 hours ago, Dollmaker said:

they have been repeating the same since the beginning but people keeps asking for the dlc content like if it had sense to be in dst. 

At most they will add stuff, like loabsters, with some mechanical and design different but porting 1:1 is putting nails in their coffin

10 hours ago, Bubblez said:

Porting content from Don't Starve to DST shouldn't be that hard and would provide plenty of well, "content"

What Joe said in that steam link:

DST is a different game. We had to rebuild the game from the ground up in order to make it multiplayer. DS at the time we started DST was also getting additional content, and DLC, so at that point they diverged significantly enough there was no going back.

To get DS and DST to the same exact point would take a massive amount of time working on only that while NOT making new content. DS wasn't designed for multiplayer and A LOT would need to be changed... hence, DST.

I remember the devs a long time ago saying they know it’s something lots of players would like to see happen, and that if it was easy to do- they would’ve already done it years ago.

But: They also keep stating they would do things a lot differently to better suit a multiplayer game.. those expansions were designed with only single player in mind.

And I don’t think anyone who realistically wants those DLCS to be Multiplayer fully realizes the possible complications with that-

Lets use Shipwrecked as an example: a DLC where the entire mode is designed with the intentions you will sail from biome to biome gathering resources to build and repair your boat.

Sounds simple: but NOW let’s imagine 6 players all spawning into the game on different islands, and one of the islands you sail towards for resources to repair your dying boat… has recently just been plucked clean by another one of those players.

When I personally ask for Shipwrecked and Hamlet compatibility I’m thinking something along the lines of getting a new set of islands out on the ocean that has SW/Ham biomes and mobs on that island.

And maybe some world Gen toggles that let me edit which mobs spawn/don’t spawn.

As much as people seem to hate the idea of these dlcs- they can’t Deny that they wouldn’t fill in areas of the game that currently feel empty either- Such as..

Ballphin, Jellyfish, Coral Reefs, to fill in ocean.

Palm Trees, Snakes, Crabbits for Oasis deserts or distant small islands.

Walking Piranha plant like mobs from Hamlet so Wormwoods “plants won’t attack him perk” has more actual in game use.

Take what works for DST, and drop or modify what doesn’t.

I mean, Hamlet is more likely to be ported than Shipwrecked, considering that we've already got seas in DST and sharing money from DST with CAPPY is likely something Klei wouldn't want? Plus Hamlet has big potential to be an adventure survival addition for DST if Klei ever considers to add it. Though in reality we gotta face it - it won't happen soon. Or until Klei says so.

Overall this topic been going on since Shipwrecked days were over and stackpilling with Hamlet being a DLC in DS I feel it's pretty pointless to go on these types of convos. Klei mentioned themselves how the two games are entirely different and how DST is to be it's own experience.

We might have other alternatives while you can experience Hamlet in singleplayer on your own. The DLC is great but I still call it feeling very unfinished.

On 11/24/2021 at 3:57 AM, -Variant said:

Porting SW and HAM would take what little DS is holding onto right now away from it. There'd literally be no reason to get DS if this happens.
Both codebases for DST and DS are also extremely different as is, porting them would take insane amounts of effort and time, I don't think the cost would be worth it.

It also goes against Klei's wishes not to divide their community. Also do keep in mind that DS and DST are still unique games and are meant to offer unique experiences! It wouldn't make sense if they shared everything.

This is a personal thing mainly but I don't like DS/HAM boat mechanics. They feel like reskinned water walking instead of DST's actual boat like sailing which I enjoy.
There are still things they bring over like Wobsters and some SW dishes, but like I said they're meant to provide a unique experience. Nothing has been a direct 1:1 copy so far and I don't expect anything to ever be so. Both games have canopies now but they're very different and unique for example.

I'm not sure you understand the amount of differences between both games. If it were easy I'd expect there to be a lot more mods doing so. 
It'd be a very costly and extensive process to port over all of DS' stuff and if they wanted to I'd imagine they would've done so earlier.

Most of the counter arguments can easily be countered. I obviously don't know about the code base difference but there has to be some good portion that is salvageable in a way.

But besides that, they could simply kill Don't Starve and give a free copy of DST to people who bought DS. 

They can always have a toggle when you create a new world to specify whether it's solo or multiplayer. That toggle could also do stuff that some mods do like rescale mob HPs. It also doesn't have to be an exact 1:1 port. They can maybe make the boats bigger to fit multiple people instead of the circle raft. Imagine a bigger boat with a cannon or two. I mean, the only 1:1 port "mechanics" we're talking about are mainly boats and spawn and those can be reworked or left to the player as customization options during creation. I am just saying that there is A LOT of content in DS that is bigger than all the unique content DST.

Consolidating both games into one is a hard task for sure but I imagining having developers working on two separate games is also inefficient. It may be hard to do but once done it should benefit the players as well as the developers big time down the road.

16 minutes ago, Bubblez said:

Consolidating both games into one is a hard task for sure but I imagining having developers working on two separate games is also inefficient. It may be hard to do but once done it should benefit the players as well as the developers big time down the road.

they arent working on DS so merging them to free dev time would just make the opposite

is a horrible idea, imaging waiting atleast a year just to release old content, a lot of fans wouldnt be hype at all or just for few minutes until they get bored of the content they were already bored

16 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

they arent working on DS so merging them to free dev time would just make the opposite

is a horrible idea, imaging waiting atleast a year just to release old content, a lot of fans wouldnt be hype at all or just for few minutes until they get bored of the content they were already bored

That’s a matter of opinion, I personally would love to see some of the biomes, mobs and gameplay mechanics of SW/Hamlet and even Vanilla DS Adventures Mode- but added into DST so I can experience it with a friend or two.

I would probably be willing to Pay 20$ for that and that alone as a Major Expansion Pack.. And since Klei straight up cancelled the Mighty Max-like Horror Mobs: I don’t expect they’ll reverse that decision and give me a DLC pack where Dead things don’t truly stay dead.

Personally I want back bridge chokehold points where you had to find a clever way to get through a location instead of just running through it blindly.

As far as bringing back the old and highly boring way of steering a boat goes- I would use my favor saying here but JoeW would probably ban me for life I’m from the south though, the FAR South & Curse words fly out our mouth often I will simplify it to being family friendly: Heck to the naw!

I mean to be completely honest: Klei should just start a fundraising campaign on Kickstarter or something so people who Actively want to see this content added to the game, can directly help fund the green light for it to happen.

(You already know where I stand.., But if there’s enough Demand for it- Let’s get a campaign going to see it actually happen.)

Edit: I would also love for this silly misconception of adding SW/Ham content into DST killing DS, it probably would- But if Klei allowing people to play that content with completely free mods hasn’t killed it yet- Im pretty sure getting a paid version isn’t going to hurt it any worse.

3 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Bro, u gotta be like an uber mega fan with 5000000000000+ hours and have played every possible world seed in DS SW to get tried of it. The theming is just perfect.

I think shipwrecked togther would super fun, realistiacally it could be implimented as another "game type" in the world creation menu sitting nicely with the survival, endless, and wilderness game mode. Sure, lots of the content in SW was designed with the single player in mind, but still plays similarly enough to the base game where no changes would be nessisary. Even cooler would be if servers could allow players to switch between world like in the base game (I'm sure it would be a nightmare having to run 3+ "shards"?/servers at the same time), indirectly bringing SW content to standard worlds.

The same could be done with Hamlet.

I think porting DLC content would give the game a second wind, as I think it's unlikly all of the DST playerbase has experienced any of it first hand if at all. Personally, if I were in charge of DST development, this would be priority #2.

The only issues besides the obvious divide in the singler player vs multiplayer game design thing is: how would you introduce the entirety of a paid DLC into an update without dividing the playerbase?

1 hour ago, hhh2 said:

how would you introduce the entirety of a paid DLC into an update without dividing the playerbase?

All players could be able to join a SW or HAM world someone other with the DLC created, but they couldn't make their own SW or HAM worlds or choose the characters from the DLC. So everyone could still play together, not matter if they have the DLCs or not.

5 hours ago, hhh2 said:

Bro, u gotta be like an uber mega fan with 5000000000000+ hours and have played every possible world seed in DS SW to get tried of it. The theming is just perfect.

no but if feel like i wanna play those dlc i launch DS. Im not tired of that dlcs but neither hyped if they port them since will take a looot of time just to add what we already know, great bussiness

and some people, the veterans ones which are ones who spend more money in the game, will be tired of that content

srly, nobody see here how dumb is the idea of wasting money and time to port dlcs when they can release new content to hype everyone instead of just few veterans and the new players?

pls, don't invest in a bussiness xD

Well do you remember how Left 4 Dead 2 eventually got every single map and feature from Left 4 Dead 1? There’s always the possibility Klei does that.

in fact- THEY ALREADY HAVE..

If you bought Dont Starve on PS4 then you also had to buy separately the Reign of Giants DLC for it.

But.. a year or so later the game comes to Xbox One & already includes RoG, there is not a single version of DS on Xbox Consoles that you can buy that does NOT include RoG as a core part of the game- Where Some of you had to BUY Wigfrid & Webber as additional content- They’ve always been a core part of the game on Xbox.

Flashforward another year or so- and we now have Dont Starve Re-Releasing on Nintendo Console, Which hey wouldn’t you know: Theres not a single version of the game you can buy on Nintendo that DOES NOT also include the Shipwrecked DLC as a core part of the product you purchased.

When State of Decay 2 originally came out it had 3 paid DLC expansions, when they eventually updated the game to a brand new engine- all three of those DLC expansions were given away to everyone and added as a core part of the game.

Left 4 Dead 2, SoD 2 and even Dont Starve itself… are proof that they can just “replace” DS & DST with a version of the game that includes the complete and total package.

Its very important to note that if you bought DS on Nintendo consoles you can not NOT buy Shipwrecked content… 

Klei knows what they’re doing & why, it may take a few years but I’ll remain ever so hopeful of the day I can Shipwrecked/Hamlet: Together.

Archived