Stealth Changes [Updates]

It has come to my attention that the game updates don't feature all the changes made to the game, thus changing numbers or assets becoming stealth-changed. In the past these stealth changes have caused considerably high damage for modders, that rely on certain assets for their mods to function properly.
Personally, I see no benefits in these hidden changes for neither the playerbase, nor the game developers, causing trouble in keeping track of things that have been altered, making communication between modders and devs harder, leading to more intransparency, resentments and confusion. I would very much appreciate, if the devs could take their time in protocoling these changes, so modders and the playerbase in general have a better insight on these updates, leading to a much healthier workspace for modders.

1 hour ago, HansimUnglueck said:

It has come to my attention that the game updates don't feature all the changes made to the game, thus changing numbers or assets becoming stealth-changed. In the past these stealth changes have caused considerably high damage for modders, that rely on certain assets for their mods to function properly.
Personally, I see no benefits in these hidden changes for neither the playerbase, nor the game developers, causing trouble in keeping track of things that have been altered, making communication between modders and devs harder, leading to more intransparency, resentments and confusion. I would very much appreciate, if the devs could take their time in protocoling these changes, so modders and the playerbase in general have a better insight on these updates, leading to a much healthier workspace for modders.

I think it's more so Kiel has a tendency to make major changes bundled in with bug fixes leaving people who don't read those scratching their heads for example being able to eat all meat types without penalty was under a list of bug fixes for Webber despite being something the community wanted and not just a feature not working as intended.

Sometimes people forget to include things in patch notes, it shouldn't be assumed they're doing it on purpose. Patch notes aren't automatically written from a computer detecting changes in the game, someone has to manually write them. 

While everything isn't included in the patch notes, some things also just aren't worth putting in the patch notes. 

Code changes for example, Klei has no way of knowing who's relying on X bit of code, so for them to detail every code change is not worthwhile. Stuff like the propagator changes that killed fire farms should definitely be included though.

3 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

What where the changes?

In addition to the patch notes (for 483468), you can add fuel while paused now, the Hallowed Nights mystery box is now supposedly marketable, fix for potential crashes in the server listings screen, Toadstool cap is renamed to the Wurtstool cap, you have to open chat to click and view someone's skin drop now.

Edit: In addition to the notes for the previous patch, 483105, Glommer's Statue is now required during worldgen (pointed out by @Hornete below), and Klei added a new debug function for spawning statues.

3 minutes ago, penguin0616 said:

In addition to the patch notes, you can add fuel while paused now, the Hallowed Nights mystery box is now supposedly marketable, fix for potential crashes in the server listings screen, Toadstool cap is renamed to the Wurtstool cap, you have to open chat to click and view someone's skin drop now.

Iirc Glommers Statue was also made to be a required entity during world generation, which might mean the glommers statue not generating in a world bug might be fixed.

I see some toxic people came out of their caves because they had the urge to somehow blame-shift something that hasn't been there in the first place: I was just asking for the devs to include stealth changes for accessibility reasons.

27 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Iirc Glommers Statue was also made to be a required entity during world generation, which might mean the glommers statue not generating in a world bug might be fixed.

This change is quite big, because before this stealth change, one had to assume that a world gen could be corrupted, thus making parts the Waterlogged content almost unobtainable.

33 minutes ago, penguin0616 said:

While everything isn't included in the patch notes, some things also just aren't worth putting in the patch notes. 

Code changes for example, Klei has no way of knowing who's relying on X bit of code, so for them to detail every code change is not worthwhile. Stuff like the propagator changes that killed fire farms should definitely be included though.

In addition to the patch notes (for 483468), you can add fuel while paused now, the Hallowed Nights mystery box is now supposedly marketable, fix for potential crashes in the server listings screen, Toadstool cap is renamed to the Wurtstool cap, you have to open chat to click and view someone's skin drop now.

Edit: In addition to the notes for the previous patch, 483105, Glommer's Statue is now required during worldgen (pointed out by @Hornete below), and Klei added a new debug function for spawning statues.

Deleting assets, that are required for certain mods to function, is quite fundamental and worthy of mentioning, imo. Changing something like BERNIE_BIG_HIT_RECOVERY = 1.5 (1=>1.5) isn't really that much of a deal, I guess, but nevertheless it would be nice to be notificed on these small things.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Sometimes people forget to include things in patch notes, it shouldn't be assumed they're doing it on purpose. Patch notes aren't automatically written from a computer detecting changes in the game, someone has to manually write them. 

People, you're refering to, are the devs. I don't know how these devs are keeping track of their own changes, let alone their work history/track of code alterations; so I didn't assume anything else than the possibility of them following my favor of adding these changes as visible sentences, easily digested by reading these patch notes.

Archived