Niobium volcano development plan

So you can just build a big enough water pool and run cooling loop through it and let molten metal just drip into it?
Or some limiting on drops is needed if volcano has high output rate and it would risk solidifying into tiles?

40 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

So you can just build a big enough water pool and run cooling loop through it and let molten metal just drip into it?
Or some limiting on drops is needed if volcano has high output rate and it would risk solidifying into tiles?

I tried a big pool with super coolant before and it will solidify into tiles. You have to control the drop rate by some means like Bottle Emptier.

If I recall correctly, Sir @nakomaru made a (totally overkill but absolutely brilliant) no loss design if you want to include that in your search

Also, I don't understand @O.J.Vodka why have you a door between steam room and polluted water tank ?

Also does your system with the mesh tile works okay as far as niobium viscosity and temperature transfer are concerned ? Never tested this. 

Cheers

10 hours ago, Orzelek said:

In my last colony, I just had a 3x4 water pool, with cooling in the metal floor. Never was a problem with an Aluminium and an Iron Volcano that just dripped the metal in. Cooling was set to stop at 20C water temperature. The water never even got close to boiling. 

One exception: If you let metal accumulate at the volcano, you may well vaporize the water if you do not slow it down when dripping it in initially. A pair of steel doors can help a lot here. But once it runs, it runs. The Aluminum Volcano did require two aquatuners with water to cool it down, but with that, no problems at all.

Because of said steel doors for upstart, I had those 3 horizontal tiles for the aluminum volcano before the metal dripped down into the water. Never saw any tiles with that. The iron one dripped directly, no tiles either. If tiles happen, you can use steel doors to modulate the output a bit or use a longer horizontal "flowing" stage. Both should be able to get the drops down to non-problematic size.

Here are some screenshots:

001.png.e52f6db05293f2f9cafe76ecffb07400.png

002.png.bbb6ab85c49dc11a686fdd790a08626b.png

5 hours ago, Gurgel said:

In my last colony, I just had a 3x4 water pool, with cooling in the metal floor. Never was a problem with an Aluminium and an Iron Volcano that just dripped the metal in. Cooling was set to stop at 20C water temperature. The water never even got close to boiling. 

One exception: If you let metal accumulate at the volcano, you may well vaporize the water if you do not slow it down when dripping it in initially. A pair of steel doors can help a lot here. But once it runs, it runs. The Aluminum Volcano did require two aquatuners with water to cool it down, but with that, no problems at all.

Because of said steel doors for upstart, I had those 3 horizontal tiles for the aluminum volcano before the metal dripped down into the water. Never saw any tiles with that. The iron one dripped directly, no tiles either. If tiles happen, you can use steel doors to modulate the output a bit or use a longer horizontal "flowing" stage. Both should be able to get the drops down to non-problematic size.

Here are some screenshots:

001.png.e52f6db05293f2f9cafe76ecffb07400.png

002.png.bbb6ab85c49dc11a686fdd790a08626b.png

Thanks that looks nice and simple.

Bit overcomplicated solution, and I have no idea how it work with niobium, but metal volcano make 15kg/tile steam room only 140C hot, third turbine work only in moment when AT work. Most probably with niobium you will got around same amount of heat. More complicated, but will give you additional power source. 130C metal output, and I'm ok with it.

20211019_230112.jpg

1 minute ago, Orzelek said:

Why it wouldn't work with sufficient cooling and maybe longer flat to spread it out?
Niobium is kind of hot on start so that means no doors I guess since it will melt stuff.

niobium have high reaction with other materials, it turns right away to the solid tile. sometimes just sometimes it drops also material

18 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

niobium have high reaction with other materials, it turns right away to the solid tile. sometimes just sometimes it drops also material

I'll leave niobium to experts - I have some iron, gold and aluminum ones on hand those should work easily.

The reason why most traditional designs won't work is because niobium solidifies to tiles above 24kg, which is a very small mass, and the volcano produces around 10x that amount each second. In order to reduce the mass to below this point you can:

I'm guessing something has changed in the output temperature of the volcano since I've been away, because originally the niobium would come out hotter than any sweepy bot melting point, and so a pre-cooling stage was necessary for these types of designs. (The OP's picture implies this is no longer needed.)

8 hours ago, nakomaru said:

The reason why most traditional designs won't work is because niobium solidifies to tiles above 24kg, which is a very small mass, and the volcano produces around 10x that amount each second. In order to reduce the mass to below this point you can:

You could use a "Christmas tree" pattern to split the flow (flow drips on a tile, flows off it left and right, more layers of that below it). Ah, I see you have that under "something else".

That said, a really long stretch were the liquid flows horizontally may still do it. Depends on the viscosity, I guess.

Archived