My opinions on Wanda's stuff (kinda)

5 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

It's not just the damage, Walter has crowd control pellets that are extremely niche and hard to find a use for due to being sort of expensive (slow pellets mostly) and that hitting a bunch of enemies with it takes too long to make it useful, in that same time you'd just do much better dealing damage. That's why I often suggest a small AOE on hit of slow and freezing pellets, but even without that, I think an increase in the attack speed would still do wonders to the slingshot as a weapon and to Walter as the "true" ranged character.

An alternative as ArubaroBeefalo said is to just increase the damage by a ton, while keeping the slow attack rate, increasing DPS by careful aimed shots. That would work great for damage pellets, but wouldn't help crowd control pellets and still keep them in the darkness.

I think the slingshot is a pretty fine weapon damage-wise. It's moreso designed to be used as a tool, rather than a pure damage dealing weapon, and I think it's much better designed that way. I find it very useful for picking off mobs by themselves and even for bosses I find it useful, I way I use it is I mix and match the slingshot with my melee weapon, For example Malbatross, I'll aggro her with the slingshot, she gets close, I use my melee weapon, she does swoops and dives where she's too far away from me so I use the slingshot to deal secondary damage and then she gets close again. That's one example, but I can name many more, It's especially such a lovely tool on the ocean, I can aggro gnarwails, squids when they're eating my damn fish, Sea Weeds, Cookie Cutters which scares off the rest when one near them is attacked. I've used it in the ruins to bring clockworks near so I don't have to deal with other nearby clockworks. It's been really useful for aggroing koala's and goats. It doesn't sound that useful on paper but in my experiences it has been really awesome. I'm not opposed to faster attack speed, but I don't think it'd really change up Walter that much, but that might just be in my experiences.

I will say I think it's lacking quite a bit in the support department, freeze rounds are, okay. and slow down rounds I have actually used a few times for Bee Queen with others, but that's about it, I'd really like to see the slingshot get some more support ammo, and AoE on those ammo's and the slow and freezing ones can be pretty cool!

Not related to the slingshot in any way really, but I've always felt Walter could use some more scout crafts, the only one he has is the tent, and I do think it's a part of him that can be expanded in a really cool way. What if he introduced more trap-type items? I always found traps so much more interesting than just beating up a mob with a flint on a stick, so I think there's a lot of potential there!

Spoiler

image.png.8cf5f5627ca0f359e9e96299562f06b1.png

Now how cool would it be if he could craft a web trap between two trees to entrap/slow mobs? Would synergize well with the slingshot and woby since he can aggro mobs from afar!

Damnit! Now I wanna make a "Mini Walter Rework" mod adding more scout crafts for the lad.

Oh yeah, and I completely forgot about his bee downside, that should really be addressed some way I feel, because as of now all it does is make Bee Queen even more of a pain for Walter solo. Atleast expand the downside and make it actually interesting, or just out-right remove it.

Ah right! This thread is about Wanda :lol: Well, all I've got to say is I think she's pretty awesome and well balanced as is, couldn't ask for anything else and I do think she's the best designed character in the entire DS/T series.

18 minutes ago, Hornete said:

What if he introduced more trap-type items?

a bear trap that roots the enemy?

18 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Oh yeah, and I completely forgot about his bee downside, that should really be addressed some way I feel, because as of now all it does is make Bee Queen even more of a pain for Walter solo. Atleast expand the downside and make it actually interesting, or just out-right remove it.

i always though that he should have more alergies related to nature to make him more ironic, a boyscout that literally can easily die in nature. Like picking forget me lots, flowers and evil flowers makes you sneeze like in hamlet, more damage taken from fire netles, alergic to mosquitoes too, etc

and his survival crafting tab should get expanded with stuff like an item like the razor to pick grass and twigs faster, faster rope crafting, more durability on things like the fishing rod, bug net, etc

edit: and sleeping rounds using the nearly useless moonshrom could be cool

3 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Can't bunnymen also solo dfly?  Personally considering all the work and upkeep required I personally don't see merms as great bossing mobs anymore.(not saying their not powerful tho)

i bunnymen can travel shards? what i tried to say is that we considere op things that arent that strong and ignore things like wurt having since she finds the swamp a huge amount of warriors and workers with the only cost of berries, honey, seeds, etc so she can rush certain bosses without the need ot that much experience or skill, just bring all the merms from the swamp to the arena or the biome with resources but later people sais things like wurt useless or wanda op without considere the whole pic

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i bunnymen can travel shards? what i tried to say is that we considere op things that arent that strong and ignore things like wurt having since she finds the swamp a huge amount of warriors and workers with the only cost of berries, honey, seeds, etc so she can rush certain bosses without the need ot that much experience or skill, just bring all the merms from the swamp to the arena or the biome with resources but later people sais things like wurt useless or wanda op without considere the whole pic

Merms can't travel shards either and bunnymen can serve the same function for less work and no upkeep yes merms are cheaper to recruit when all the ground work is done but but their much more expensive to setups due to needing to feed the king and have 1 each shard while you can make a proper carrot farm by walking around the caves and surface and better giving you alternate food source and no need for multi shard upkeep. But at that point you may as well use webber since his spiders can kill alot more bosses and are much easier to use and control while being infinitely faster to setup. I get the point your making though.

34 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Merms can't travel shards either and bunnymen can serve the same function for less work and no upkeep yes merms are cheaper to recruit when all the ground work is done but but their much more expensive to setups due to needing to feed the king and have 1 each shard while you can make a proper carrot farm by walking around the caves and surface and better giving you alternate food source and no need for multi shard upkeep. But at that point you may as well use webber since his spiders can kill alot more bosses and are much easier to use and control while being infinitely faster to setup. I get the point your making though.

you dont get my point at all...

also for what i said merms dont need to travel shards. Bunnymen methods on surface bosses need to build the houses for that i said that they can travel shards because my example was refering to recruite at early days merms from the houses already generated with the world and go to a surface boss, you will be able to stun df and kill her even faster than wanda and without needing to be close to death or rushing her alarming clock, just by gathering fruits, veggies or seeds. Kinda like how much dps can have weeber with they army but people claims that wanda is op because have wolfgang damage at 25% hp or because can tp to any point of the map by crafting clocks using mctusk fangs

did i explained better? im not doing a merms vs bunnymen or anything close, just talking about the potential of a character that always is called weak meanwhile peope claim op a character that doesnt do anything super special in combat but has useful late game portals

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

you dont get my point at all...

also for what i said merms dont need to travel shards. Bunnymen methods on surface bosses need to build the houses for that i said that they can travel shards because my example was refering to recruite at early days merms from the houses already generated with the world and go to a surface boss, you will be able to stun df and kill her even faster than wanda and without needing to be close to death or rushing her alarming clock, just by gathering fruits, veggies or seeds. Kinda like how much dps can have weeber with they army but people claims that wanda is op because have wolfgang damage at 25% hp or because can tp to any point of the map by crafting clocks using mctusk fangs

did i explained better? im not doing a merms vs bunnymen or anything close, just talking about the potential of a character that always is called weak meanwhile peope claim op a character that doesnt do anything super special in combat but has useful late game portals

For the first half wouldn't pigs work fine as well then generally more pigs than merms per world and they deal more damage than a base merm.

Second as I said already understood what you were getting at what I'm saying is wurt was kinda a bad comparison people often don't realize how much power we have access to even before perks enter the conversation.

7 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

For the first half wouldn't pigs work fine as well then generally more pigs than merms per world and they deal more damage than a base merm

They are scare at dusk and i said that i dont want to argue about followers because isnt the point of my comment so i dont care. Catcoons would work better than  any  other.

7 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

They are scare at dusk and i said that i dont want to argue about followers because isnt the point of my comment so i dont care. Catcoons would work better than  any  other.

My point was more so Wurt wasn't the best example to use to justify Wanda I wasn't trying to compare followers but just say every character has access to what she has to some degree.

On 9/14/2021 at 9:19 AM, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Wanda died from the Passage of Time*

*Wanda died from the Passage of Time*

*Wanda died from the Passage of Time*

Yes. Certainly her constant aging isn't a hard-enough con.

PS: Passage of Time bes' B0$$ eva'

That's her only death message. Whether she dies from freezing, starving, old age, eating red caps, 20 shadow splumonkeys, dragonfly, bee queen, ancient fuelweaver, or celestial champion her death message will always be the passage of time.

28 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

That's her only death message. Whether she dies from freezing, starving, old age, eating red caps, 20 shadow splumonkeys, dragonfly, bee queen, ancient fuelweaver, or celestial champion her death message will always be the passage of time.

Yeah, but I'd say about 50% of my deaths in my first few days playing her have been simply passage of time...  Forgetting I'm 78 after a boss fight ends and I'm running home with the loot, suddenly I'm DEAD lol

I mean, I AM blonde... so I'm not surprised, but its not as easy as it sounds.  Any other character, without having some external effect won't die even if they are at 1 health.  Wanda requires a whole new thought process of checking on your health regardless.

I was thinking they should add in some feedback when you're at 78+ age, like a continual ticking sound or maybe having her say something to help remind a player.  The sound effect for losing health only plays once when you lose the year, and its easy to overlook.  The red ring around your health bar is pretty far away from your focus as you're playing the game.  I keep an eye on my stats during critical times, like during a fight, when I'm close to starving, etc but not when I'm full hunger, out of combat, just wondering back from a boss fight.

16 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Yeah, but I'd say about 50% of my deaths in my first few days playing her have been simply passage of time...  Forgetting I'm 78 after a boss fight ends and I'm running home with the loot DEAD lol

I mean, I AM blonde... so I'm not surprised, but its not as easy as it sounds.  Any other character, without having some external effect won't die even if they are at 1 health.  Wanda requires a whole new thought process of checking on your health regardless.

Yeah it's definitely a downside. I've died from forgetting once or twice, and one time I died because I got ganged up on by a couple mactusks & hounds who aggro'd from further than I thought they would as I was freezing. I eventually got far enough to deaggro and warm up, as my ageless watch was on cooldown and I was 79.5 years old. I only had enough time to /cry and make sure I wasn't so close to the water my stuff would fall into it.

6 hours ago, Cheggf said:

That wasn't the main point. As mentioned, in a server of experienced players that rarely died (at least the advanced regulars), going Wanda way meant a plethora of kicks in the bucket. If Wanda had "no downside" as certain people on these forums state, then it would've made no difference in playstyle, or at least only first 1-2 days after her release a fair adaptive margin would've been seen with inherent errors. Yet 1 week after her release and people still pay the ferryman his death toll via Wanda's constant "HP" loss coupled with risky "glass canon" strats.

17 minutes ago, Well-met said:

The "no downside" thing was cleared the moment Klei launched her with a few nerfs. You gotta keep up old man

The people saying that she hadnt a downside because the second change clock prenerf were people that didnt even tried the character so it couldnt be cleared because it was never a thing, just a bunch of drama queens making noise because they didnt have anything better to do

The downside was the same as it is now

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

The people saying that she hadnt a downside because the second change clock prenerf were people that didnt even tried the character so it couldnt be cleared because it was never a thing, just a bunch of drama queens making noise because they didnt have anything better to do

The downside was the same as it is now

That wasn't something that needed to be experienced to be understood it was without a doubt too strong there are afew edge cases where it wouldn't help but in most cases it would just be plain immorality and it's not like the current recipe is expensive in the slightest.

13 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

That wasn't the main point. As mentioned, in a server of experienced players that rarely died (at least the advanced regulars), going Wanda way meant a plethora of kicks in the bucket. If Wanda had "no downside" as certain people on these forums state, then it would've made no difference in playstyle, or at least only first 1-2 days after her release a fair adaptive margin would've been seen with inherent errors. Yet 1 week after her release and people still pay the ferryman his death toll via Wanda's constant "HP" loss coupled with risky "glass canon" strats.

From my experience Wanda players don't die any more often than your average player with top causes of death attempting to rush the ruins, forgetting their age(usually after getting the clock whip), freezing, and dying to darkness. That being said I feel like she's perfect as is she offers the perfect balance of risk and reward.

Archived