Why can't Klei make purchased DLC characters playable offline exactly?

From hotfix [477964]

image.thumb.png.af9a604dd59b0f56e52684e19a053a10.png

image.thumb.png.0e7eed8a6baaae1dd3b290866dac7b47.png

Wrong? And I have yet to hear a technical reason from Klei on why they couldn't if they really can't. For all I know they simply decided to because. Why? Same as you can play single-player Don't Starve DLCs, unlocked character DLCs could be made the same way once you have bought the character DLC or weaved it. Actual downloadable DLC.

Reason skins are different is because there is so many of them and the authentication of them would probably be troublesome because of how Steam item inventory works, if I'm correct on this. But that's not how characters need to be done since we don't have and probably never will have hundreds of them. If anything, making them DLCs that show up on the store would be better for clarification to players the characters if they actually wanted to purchase them, instead of being confused about the characters being included in bundles and muddled among collections of skins you can purchase.

It is disappointing that this has not been done and it just means you will not be able to play a good portion of the characters offline at all for seemingly no good reason. If Klei does have a good technical reason for not making this possible, now would be a good time to at least address it. If there is none, make it happen?

28 minutes ago, ZombieDupe said:

Why? Same as you can play single-player Don't Starve DLCs, unlocked character DLCs could be made the same way once you have bought the character DLC or weaved it. Actual downloadable DLC.

Because players who don't own the character also need the character files and assets downloaded, since they will need those assets if another player in the server is using that character. Weaving/buying a character doesn't download the character like it would for the SW and Hamlet DLC's, it simply tells the Klei servers, "Hey this person owns this character now, they can have access to it".

If the game didn't contact the Klei servers to check if the player owned this character, it could possibly be exploited and hacked much more easily to allow the paid character to be played for free.

There might be something I missed, but I believe that's the gist of it. I do hope maybe something could be figured out to allow these characters to be played offline while making sure this system is not exploited.

There's an item cache being saved to file every time you login already, I don't see why that couldn't be reused for offline play.

Sure, someone could go ahead and copy-paste an old version and `beat the system` after having unraveled a character or skin, but playing the what-if game leads to unlocking every item in the game without having ever owned any item.

I'd agree that this change should be reverted, or altered to allow characters to be played in an offline environment.  Some people have limited internet connections from satellites and such, making a constant connection infeasible.

The reason WHY they can’t be played in offline mode is because once upon a time ago they actually were.. but some Bad people discovered they can exploit the system by continuously weaving and unraveling these characters for literally infinite amounts of spool.

The most OBVIOUS Solution Should have been to make it so once weaved they can NEVER be Unraveled (same way you can never unravel Twitch exclusive drops) then the characters could’ve been played in Offline play without the exploits.

Personally living in the far south where Hurricanes or Tornadoes spawned from them wreck through here on almost a Daily basis- Having an always stable perfect internet connection is impossible- I pay a FORTUNE for my internet & yet it still cuts in and out in the slightest bit of abnormally strong winds or weather of course I realize I wouldn’t be able to use all the cool skins I own in offline mode: but I see no logical reasoning behind why the dlc characters with their default looks couldn’t have been played in offline.

More so if a recent Bug allowed it, And the Not DLC characters (Walter, Warly) can Be.

1 hour ago, CarlZalph said:

I'd agree that this change should be reverted, or altered to allow characters to be played in an offline environment.  Some people have limited internet connections from satellites and such, making a constant connection infeasible.

You dont need constant connection.

I have kind of bad internet but i can still play offline on my own server. You just need it when you enter the server, go in or out of the cave.

Its really annoying when i just need 10 lightbulbs to refuel my lantern and i get disconnected because i forgot i was offline but rest of the time it work perfectly. At least i can still play Wurt with her beautiful skin *florp*.

There was a chinese mod on workshop allow you play with all of the skins in DST, also there is one in DS right now.

The point i'm trying to make, they could use characters and skins whenever they want. They don't do because unlike the modders, the crackers don't play the game itself, so probably don't know even there is skin & character system.

If they make a system that check "if the player have the DLC" in a specific timeloop (like per month, per week) it would be breaked easily by hackers. But there is one way that I think would work.

All DLCs should be synched when player have internet connection and the worlds generated in online should be playable in offline with all synched stuffs inside. Also regenerating or adding mods to online worlds should only work with internet connection. So the only way to get DLCs in pirated version would be downloading worlds (which nobody would bother it) with have same synched version or playing same old world generation everytime.

It's gonna be a big problem for me soon because I'm going to school soon and the place i will live only gives crappy 15 gb of internet. The phone service bills is not that cheap in my country, so I will stuck in some other characters.

Archived