Taking an extensive look at Wanda and theory crafting

I think at this point most of us have said our peace with how we feel in regards to Wanda's balance. I wanted to make a thread discussing different ideas on how each one of us plans on approaching Wanda's gameplay. I'm very excited to play this character and theorycraft possible scenerios.

First, let's talk about how much "time" Wanda loses a day.

Wanda loses:

1 year every 40 seconds or

12 years every full day

Wanda health is a ticking time bomb ready to go off and kill her. Another way to look at it is Wanda loses 2.5 hp every 40 seconds or 30 hp every day. Wanda will have taken 600 hp worth of damage by the end of the first autumn. 

Now lets take a look at her age progression:

Age                                   "Life span"

Young= ages 20-35 (15y "hp") 10min 

Adult= ages 35-65 (20y "hp") 13min 20 secs

Old= ages 65-79.9 (14.9y "hp") 9min 59 secs

Dead= age 80

Total age gained= 60y 

Total life span= 33min and 19 secs/ a little over 4 days.

For anyone getting ready to main Wanda, this important to keep in consideration. For example, rather than try to keep track of minutes in your head you know you can stay as "old" Wanda for a full day before needing to heal. 

Ageless watch heals:         8y every 2 min                                                     32y every day

The first watch only provides 20 years of healing if you consider needing to heal the 12 year passive loss you take each day. Too many net losses and Wanda's death will be inevitable with only one healing watch. I think its a good idea to prioritize a second watch as insurance.

78 seems to be a good place to heal as most bosses deal about a year worth of damage or more provided by the table below. This will place her at about age 70, healing again with another clock will place her at 62, where she will need at least 2 hit from a football helmet to increase her damage once more. You must also consider the damage of the cooked green caps. Every cooked green cap will age her by .4 years or 24 seconds.

Here are some possible early threats and how much she can potentially lose depending on wether or not she has armor. I considered the armors with the highest differences while also being somewhat common (pig helmet and night/marble armor). I apologize if any math is wrong as I did this very late at night yesterday.

First set is no armor followed by pig helmet and finally night/marble armor. For every 2.5 damage Wand ages by 1 year.

Pig

(33dmg)=13.2y |80%=2.64y|95%=0.66y

Werepig,warrior spider, bishop, knight

(40dmg)=16y|80%=8y|95%=0.8y

Spider, crawling horror, spitter

(20dmg)=8y| 80%=1.6y|95%=0.4y

Beefalo

(34dmg)= 13.6y|80%=2.72|95%=0.68y

Terror beak

(50dmg)= 20y|80%=4y|95%=1y

Rook

(45 dmg)= 18y|80%=3.6|95%=0.9y

Ancient guardian

(100 dmg)= 40y|80%=8y|95%=2y

Deerclops, Dragonfly

(75 dmg)= 30y|80%=6y|95%=1.5y

Bee queen

(60 dmg)= 24y|80%=4.8y|95%=1.2y

Dragonfly ring of fire

(112.5 dmg)= 45y|80%=9y|95%2.25y

Shadow pieces bosses

Boss.          No armor.          80%          95%  

Knight

Tier 1.       40dmg=16y           8y              0.66y

Tier 2.       90dmg=36y           7.2y           1.8y

Tier 3.     150dmg=60y         12y              3y

Bishop

Tier 1.       20dmg=8y           1.6y              0.4y

Tier 2.       35dmg=14y         2.8y              0.7y

Tier 3.       60dmg=24y         4.8y             1.2y

Rook

Tier 1.       45dmg=18y         3.6y             0.9y

Tier 2.     100dmg=40y.         8y.               2y

Tier 3.     165dmg=66y       13.2y             3.3y

Basically its very possible for wanda to survive with just one watch as long as she has a helmet and an early marble armor for ruins rushing. Bosses also have room for mistakes if she can get ahold of some night armor. 

My plan is to get at least one more healing watch (sorry I can never remember the names) and at some point set up a teleport to farm nightmare fuel from fissures. With a healthy underground green mushroom forest and nightmare armor, Wanda can manage anything. Again, sorry for any incorrect math. 

What are your plans for when Wanda releases?

ps. Don't judge me for this horribly set up long post lol. I'm very excited to play this character.

Also, things might change upon her release.

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

For anyone getting ready to main Wanda, this important to keep in consideration. For example, rather than try to keep track of minutes in your head you know you can stay as "old" Wanda for a full day before needing to heal. 

Ageless watch heals:         8y every 2 min                                                     32y every day

The Ageless watch heals 7y every 2 min not 8y. One of the strategies I've seen the Ambassadors use while I was watching is every so often look at the time and if they were are 72 years, they'd heal bringing them down to 65 years and allowing themselves to continue old for the damage.

I stand corrected, the watch heals for 8.

21 minutes ago, SomebodyRandom said:

The Ageless watch heals 7y every 2 min not 8y. One of the strategies I've seen the Ambassadors use while I was watching is every so often look at the time and if they were are 72 years, they'd heal bringing them down to 65 years and allowing themselves to continue old for the damage.

Just rewatched rhovious's video where she seems to heal by 8 years

Skip to 2:00 it heals her by 8years, I did make a mistake with how much she heals per watch (for some reason I used the total per day) that I needed to fix.

39 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Just rewatched rhovious's video where she seems to heal by 8 years

Hmm, when I was watching an Ambassador yesterday she healed 7 years. Could've been a patch.

Update: I brought up a random Ambassador playing Wanda and they healed for 8 years when using the clock, most likely a patch.

I don't know if you really need a second watch to heal with, as you can always let yourself die and revive out of combat if you need extra healing.

With a 2 minute cooldown there's not much risk associated with resetting your age in that way, and a self-revive is worth an inventory slot.

34 minutes ago, Toros said:

I don't know if you really need a second watch to heal with, as you can always let yourself die and revive out of combat if you need extra healing.

With a 2 minute cooldown there's not much risk associated with resetting your age in that way, and a self-revive is worth an inventory slot.

We'll that might get patched... 

Also, I don't think that is practical in actual combat. When you revive, you do so without any armor equipped and that could spell instant death. The watch seems to revive you at about age 60 which is one hit away from death from most bosses.

The second watch is good insurance in combat and for maintaining dps is what I mean.

Just now, HowlVoid said:

We'll that might get patched... 

Also, I don't think that practical in actual combat. When you revive, you do so without any armor equipped and that could spell instant death. The watch seems to revive you at about age 60 which is one hut away from most bosses.

and doesnt revive you in the place were you dropped the clock, it teleports you at your death spot so, if there is still an enemy, you are death

Something I've also realized is wanda can eat 16 cooked monster meat and still be within the allowed 20 year healing from the first watch (1.2y penalty per cooked mm). 

However, raw monster meat applies a 8 year penalty, yikes. 

Guess I have to cook my meat from now on... Sigh.

My main concern is the infinite life giving amulet. I haven't seen much of the character, but if it works how I think it does (each one having its own cooldown), then you would straight up not have to eat with her at all, and could just revive. It might be more convenient to eat, but the fact you have the option to not eat in the game called dont starve seems kinda dumb

26 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

Wait, wait, wait, WHAT!? An weapon that does 60 damage at 0% durability and lasts forever!? Toadstool is gonna be a breeze with Wanda.

She really does seem like the best solo character so far! I'm really hyped.

4 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

She really does seem like the best solo character so far! I'm really hyped.

NOOO! My WOLFGANG is no longer the strongest character. Buff him to 400% damage on full hunger or nerf Wanda to the ground, Because its UNFAIR!

Its a joke and my favorite character is Willow. I hate holy trio though.

The reviving strategy of dying to dont eat when is even useful? In early when you dont want to waste time reviving and picking your stuff (in pubs is even dangerous if there is selfish players nearby) instead of eating few of the many carrots there are arround or in mid/lategame when you have a bundle filled with food? Serious question

I see that the clock might need more cooldown (it has low cooldown do you always have atleast 1 second before the reset time reach 0) but isnt even close to how op is her weapon which has extra range that stunlocks enemies and stupid damage at 0%. Is like a mod character weapon 

8 minutes ago, Well-met said:

For anyone getting ready to main Wanda, I would advise them to wait a week or two until all the upcoming nerfs sink in.

for anyone getting ready to main wanda i would suggest going off forums before nerf wanda thread 1000 comes out

2 hours ago, Well-met said:

For anyone getting ready to main Wanda, I would advise them to wait a week or two until all the upcoming nerfs sink in.

Just because the community is clamoring for nerfs doesn't mean its going to happen. Wendy still increases the damage of mobs by 10% for no good reason and doesn't make sense imo. 

There is a possibility some things could be a bug too, like maybe the revival clock is meant to have a 20min cooldown and not 2min.

Anyways, I think wanda is a great solo character because of how you're rewarded for sticking with her. She has a great end game and even if they nerf her the reason why I love her is because of the convenience of teleporting. I have been using a normal damage modifier character (wormwood) for years now so any nerfs wouldn't bother me (plus I doubt they'll be substantial). 

Archived